English 101 with Trihan sometimes!

Started by Trihan, Sun 28/06/2009 09:12:40

Previous topic - Next topic

TerranRich

I've never heard it said "at yours" before. It's always "at your place" in conversation, at least in my experience.

Oliwerko

True, but I've seen the phrase "up yours" used pretty frequently.

Stupot

'at yours' is fine.  It's pretty standard practice.

TerranRich

Quote from: Oliwerko on Tue 30/06/2009 21:32:09
True, but I've seen the phrase "up yours" used pretty frequently.

So have I, and it's not usually in good spirits. ;)

Oliwerko

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 30/06/2009 23:09:46
'at yours' is fine.  It's pretty standard practice.

as phrases like this usually are, because they don't really "contain" anything offensive  ;D

kaputtnik

Party up yours!

No, but I've got one serious concern. Lots of people seem to write things like "I used to date your mum, but I didn't used to brag about it.", which looks completely wrong to me. Is this correct, or is it a strange automatism that comes from using the fixed expression "I used to" in a negative context?

Normally you should think "I didn't use to" was the right way to put it.
I, object.

Oliwerko

Quote from: kaputtnik on Wed 01/07/2009 11:09:17

Yup, that's the correct way. "Didn't used to" is wrong.

GuyAwesome

Is that because the "didn't" in "didn't use to" means it's already past tense, so the "use" doesn't have to be, while the other part doesn't have that modifier so you have to have "used"? Could you have (although it sounds clunky to my ear) "I did use to date your mother, but I never used to brag about it" - swapping the tense modifiers?
(If that's what you'd call them. Sorry, I'm a native English speaker but have no formal training - so my grasp of grammar and punctuation, etc, is more luck than judgement. As has been said, a trained non-native speaker probably knows the rules of a language better than the average native speaker.)

Incidentally: I pretty much exclusively hear 'at yours' used instead of 'at your place', unless whoever's saying it is going for a deliberately cheesy "Your place or mine, hur hur hur" vibe. Colloquial vs. 'proper' English, I suppose. 'Up yours' is generally used in good spirits in my experience - or at least jokingly, between friends. It's just too ... quaint sounding to have any impact if used 'for real' any more. Or maybe it's just that I know better swearwords now than I did as a teenager...

Anian

LOL, what do you mean native speaker without formal training? Didn't you go to school?

Yeah, you can "switch" between them, "didn't" and "did" puts it in the past tense.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

paolo

@InCreator
Quote from: InCreator on Mon 29/06/2009 18:58:49
I'm always misusing "ä" [æ] when speaking english. I cannot understand why there isn't a letter for this vocal.

An apple. (äpl)
Language. (längvich)

It's there! And yet, I'm never sure if it really is.

Dance. I say "dääns". British say "daans". I'm wrong. But it feels so natural there. And I think I've heard it with my version million times in hollywood movies.

Also, lack of "ö" in whole language feels like absurd. "World". I haven't heard it pronounced like "worm".
Say those words! Hear the difference between 2 "o"-s? Or is there none?
So there's "ö" in language. But it's SO rare! In estonian, shortest word is "öö" (night). A whole word dedicated to and made of 2 same vocals!

But english... none.
Helluva strange language. I will never get over misusing those two - for me - so natural letters.

Another sick thing is using in and on correctly. I usually make (or might make) mistakes. I got sick on december or in December? My language-sense points to latter. But I'm never sure really, since I rely on sense only (as with all languages I know) and never memorize any actual grammar rules.

ALSO thing I never made clear for myself, even though I got A's on tests:

Is an animal he, she or it? If I want to speak about a cat, do I have to lift (her/his/its) tail first to decide on gender?  :D

So many questions!

Unlike some other languages, English has more sounds than it has letters to represent them, so the same letter (or combination of letters) is used to represent more than one sound. The vowel "a" can represent the "short" sound in "cat" or the "long" sound in "day". The sound in "dance" is the same as the sound in "cat" in northern England and the US, which is why you hear it pronounced like that in American films. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-open_front_unrounded_vowel. For the vowel in "bath" as pronounced in southern England (which is considered the standard for British English), see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_back_unrounded_vowel. (No point in me trying to explain this with words - you need to hear the sounds.)

The vowel sounds in "worm" and "world" are identical - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-mid_central_unrounded_vowel. These are different from the sound in "for" - that is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-mid_back_rounded_vowel. (This is for British English - other varieties of English may vary.) I'm not sure how "öö" is pronounced in Estonian. Maybe it is like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-mid_front_rounded_vowel or this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-mid_front_rounded_vowel

Animals... usually you use "it", but "he" or "she" can also be used when you know the (physical) gender of the animal, and especially when talking about an animal affectionately (such as when referring to a pet). For example "Is that your dog? She's lovely" ("It's lovely" would sound strange here, so usually you would ask whether it is a male or a female first and then say "He's/She's lovely").

@GuyAwesome
Quote from: GuyAwesome on Wed 01/07/2009 12:24:08
Is that because the "didn't" in "didn't use to" means it's already past tense, so the "use" doesn't have to be, while the other part doesn't have that modifier so you have to have "used"?

Yep, "to use" is an old verb meaning "to do habitually" that is now used only in the past tense, so, strictly speaking, "didn't use to" is correct, but because the verb is now only used in the past (as "used") and only before "to", "used to" naturally sounds like it should become "didn't used to" in the negative. Both forms ("didn't use to", "didn't used to") are now considered correct.

GuyAwesome

anian:
Heh. Yeah I went to school, even did a bit of Linguistics at university. I just don't count GSCE-level English Language (I was better at Literature, anyway) or a couple of months of 'paying the bare minimum attention to get a pass in Ling 101', as formal training :). Hell, my mum is a teacher*, and her grammar, punctuation, and spelling are worse than mine.
For comparison, GCSE French probably included more detail about the grammatical rules of the language in 2 years than I covered in however many years of English classes. (Of course, I remember even less of that than I do English grammar.)

* Admittedly, a primary school teacher and not a university lecturer. Still, the point stands - 'a basic education' is not the same as 'formal training'. I meant degree level, at least...

paolo:
Ta, didn't know that about 'use', but honestly both 'didn't use to' and 'didn't used to' sound pretty awkward to me.
Is 'use' in the sense of 'to utilise'/'make use of' ("I use my computer every day", "I often use the stairs instead of the lift") a different form, and so can be present tense? Or have I missed the point somewhere?

Stupot

Quote from: Oliwerko on Wed 01/07/2009 11:10:29
Quote from: kaputtnik on Wed 01/07/2009 11:09:17

Yup, that's the correct way. "Didn't used to" is wrong.

"didn't use to" is not correct at all... in this context you always use "used".  There is always a 'd' at the end, even it doesn't sound like it's there when you say it aloud.

However, in the original sentence you should omit the second used of "used to" altogether:

"I used to date your mum, but I didn't brag about it." is much better form.

Using "used to" with something you didn't do always sounds a bit wrong (especially if you've already used it to describe something you did do, in the same sentence).

It's probably better to say "I never bragged about it" and "I wasn't captain of the foozeball team" rather than "I didn't used to..."

Oliwerko

Now I'm a bit confused.

"I did not use to" is gramatically incorrect, while "I didn't used to" is correct, but only sounds weird?

Stupot

There are two contexts where you never say "use to" - you  only use "used to":

1. (as we have been discussing) If you used to do or be something.
e.g. "I used to work on a farm", "I used to be good at swimming".

2. If you are accustomed to something or it happens often.
e.g. "I am used to being called a moron", "I am used to finding blood in my stools"

But, as for example 1... if you make that a negative it is just better form to say "I've never worked on a farm" or "I was never any good at swimming", rather than "didn't used to..."

Anian

...just avoid using it, think of it as a writing exercise  ;)
I don't want the world, I just want your half

TerranRich

According to the people here: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php91711 it's "didn't use to".

Then again, they also say to instead use "never used to" and all confusion would disappear. ;)

Stupot

According to OED:

Quote21. With to and inf.: To be accustomed or wont to do something.
  In very frequent use from c 1400, but now only in pa. tense used to, [...], and colloq. in did (not) use (or used) to: see also USEN'T, USETER; used to could: see CAN v.1 A. 7.

So, these days there is always a 'd', even when it's negative.

I like usen't ('used not').

"I used to date your mum, but I usen't to brag about it."

TerranRich

From what I read of the text you quoted, it seems as though either way ("didn't use to" or "didn't used to") is correct.

Mr Flibble

Usen't is uncomfortably close to amn't and it makes me feel itchy inside.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Snarky

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 01/07/2009 17:12:26
"didn't use to" is not correct at all... in this context you always use "used".

Nonsense. Would you say something like "when I was a kid, I didn't went to school"?

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 01/07/2009 19:01:50
According to OED:

Quote21. With to and inf.: To be accustomed or wont to do something.
  In very frequent use from c 1400, but now only in pa. tense used to, [...], and colloq. in did (not) use (or used) to: see also USEN'T, USETER; used to could: see CAN v.1 A. 7.

So, these days there is always a 'd', even when it's negative.

No, the OED is just saying that these days we don't talk about "using to do something" except in the past tense. We don't say "I still use to get my coffee at Starbucks."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk