Sounds! Where?

Started by InCreator, Mon 14/03/2005 18:37:52

Previous topic - Next topic

InCreator

Well, today I came to a point where I started looking for sound effects.  A simple task, especially if you happen to be connected to the Internet....

Or is it?

After 3 hours of resultless searching I understood that this time could be wasted to something much more productive... like a MAGS game making or something. Another 3 goes to elimination of all teh ad-, spy-, crap- and nonsense-ware all these pointless "Get free samples here!!11" pages installed. >:(

What I do need is 3-5 different tree chopping sounds.
Some swordfight ones. Some cavalry voices, like horses galloping and making noise. A catapult launch and hit sounds. A bow shooting (and hitting) sounds.

I also noticed that I don't have any games left where I could rip some.

This is impossible.

If anyone would know how to change my mind, I'd be grateful.

MrColossal

"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

InCreator

Now this is not funny.
Not funny at all.

Poor human being (me) searches whole effin' world to get some sounds and hey - a page named www.findsounds.com...

Thank you.

** bangs head repeatedly against wall **

m0ds

Right, InCreator,

Here's yer catapult hitting something;

http://screen7.adventuredevelopers.com/Destroy.wav

Here's a more satisfying version ploos metal;

http://screen7.adventuredevelopers.com/Breech.wav

OR a more muffled version;

http://screen7.adventuredevelopers.com/Explosion02.wav

I haven't found any bow sounds yet (if someone has THE GAMES FACTORY then they have bow sounds!) .. I think I have a catapult launchish sound too which I'll upload later or tomorrow cos im off out now.

hope this kinda helps :D

HillBilly

Worms armageddon also has bow sounds, but they're more of the cartoony type. Still worth a shot, if you got it.

InCreator

Hey, thanks m0ds!

The biggest fish to catch is still the wood chopping.
These samples I need are present in every respectable medieval-themed strategy game, but very unlikely to be downloadable in Net. Except sword sounds.

Few links lead to more links which sooner or later result a dead page, so samples are more helpful here.

I'm really grateful, just as long no-one will ask why do I need these samples... 

;)

YOke

If you search for axe on findsounds.com you get four hits. At least two of them are decent.

Enlightenment is not something you earn, it's something you pay for the rest of your life.

Kweepa

That "sounds similar to" search on findsounds.com is interesting... thanks!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Gregjazz

Quote from: InCreator on Mon 14/03/2005 19:15:18
Hey, thanks m0ds!

The biggest fish to catch is still the wood chopping.
These samples I need are present in every respectable medieval-themed strategy game, but very unlikely to be downloadable in Net. Except sword sounds.

Few links lead to more links which sooner or later result a dead page, so samples are more helpful here.

I'm really grateful, just as long no-one will ask why do I need these samples... 

;)

If you have Warcraft III or know someone who has it, you're set! :)

DCillusion

Are you making a free game?  Do you like to purchase commercial games?

If both of these answers are yes, then just rip them from your games.  Most Sounds can be extracted & it's a great way to put your FX pool into the 100's, (or 1000's).

InCreator

Warcraft 3 is geat idea! Never thought about that, since I haven't played it for a year or so.
I also discovered most of wanted stuff in Stronghold.

viktor

So I won't open a new topic is there a site where I could download free background music. Anything but please not crapy midis. Thanx in advance.
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

InCreator

Aye, viktor, try www.autofish.net  if you mean oldschool Commodore64 style music instead of MIDIs.
They have some free project there (named Cell7), where people contribute good music tracks to help game makers out. All legal and *intended* for such purpose.

I remember someone using such style in an AGS game, (I believe it was Minimi in a MAGS game about a raven or something similar) and it sounded excellent! Well, you might want to try that.

If not --
or if you like different module music, writing "S3M download" or "MOD download" in google or yahoo! would take you to heaven in few tries.

But this is painful searching, since there's millions of songs out there with hundreds of styles and made by musicians with very different skills/experience level.

Paper Carnival

http://www.grsites.com/

It has other neat stuff too... So good, that it's suspicious

MillsJROSS

Finding sound effects, is probably one of the more time consuming tasks. Because even when you find them, they don't necesarily match up in your mind. Still, they add so much to a game, and it's worth it.

As far as ripping sounds from commercial games, I won't do that. I only accept work that I'm certain is free to me. Even, though, I'm fairly certain no one is going to be like "I remember that sound effect from such and such." It's more of a morality issue. It's such a small thing, and unnoticable, but I try to keep as much on the legal side of things as I can.

-MillsJROSS

SpacePirateCaine

If you're looking to use sounds from a pre-existing game, I might suggest 'Stronghold' for just about anything you could need that has to do with medieval warfare, they have chopping noises, no shortage of sword swings and clangs, crossbows being wound, and for those who find it funny (Like me), a whole myriad of sounds of people getting skewered with arrows. And to top it all off, it's a great RTS. All of the sounds in-game are plain .wavs, so if you install 'er, you could easily find them in the 'sounds' folder (if memory serves).

And though I'm not sure if it's been mentioned on one of the linked threads, I'll just pitch FlashKit for public domain sounds. They may have what you're looking for.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

viktor

Thank you increator that's shure to help but all the music seems to be taken from several other games. Besides all the music I've tried is to "action" like. I need some cartoony music.
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk