Resident Evil 5 is RACIST oh noes!

Started by Meowster, Wed 01/08/2007 15:59:12

Previous topic - Next topic

vict0r

What the hell? They aren't supposed to be Zombies.. They are zombies! Most, if not all, of the zombies in the other games were white, damnit!

evenwolf

lol, all this "white power" stuff directed at the japanese.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

deadsuperhero

Well, if it is racist, I'll be able to play it with KILLER graphics.
People are just so ridiculous sometimes. Nobody had a problem when you played as a black guy in Resident Evil: OutBreak and killed white zombies.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

vict0r

big brother

What no one suspects is that in the end of the game, you find out that they weren't zombies all along. They just had AIDS!
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Chicky

Stupot

Whats wrong with having black zombies?
They can't steal you bike when they're undead.

ildu

My only problem with this game is that it stars another generic-looking male model as the protagonist. Give 'em some character, whydoncha?

Stupot

That's Chris Redfield.  The same generic-looking male model from the very first game.

Darth Mandarb

Totally unrealistic and racist.

As anybody with a brain-stem knows; ALL africans are white.

Duh?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

What I find most amusing is that to have a game of this magnitude in such a landscape, such a real place, apparently depicted as quite realistic (from what I saw of the trailer, and not counting the "zombie" part) and in such a time where the american military occupation of Iraq is still a sore point for pretty much everyone, is quite the concept. Not unique, not revolutionary, but new, in a way.

And of course, it makes bloody sense that the zombies are *black*. Duh, it happens in Africa.

Whatever happened to the author's right to tell a story?

PS - Funny thing is, just today I started talking with a friend of mine about adventure games (she loves them, I had no idea, so it was quite the conversation, though she still missed out on Grim Fandango and Gabriel Knight, quite a shame), and she told me a bit about "And Then There Were None". Which of course made me tell her it referred to the "new" version of the book, the one with the indians, and that the original book was called "Ten Little Niggers", and the rhyme DID go "Ten little niggers went out to dine / One choked(sp?) himself and then there were nine". And it pisses me off that the rhyme and the title had to be changed because of what I can only see as political-correctness. It seems as absurd as making a "censored" version of the Titanic film where they put a digital corset over the actress when she's posing nude for the picture.

They did, you know. Make that censored version.

EDIT - Wow. I tend to blab more than I thought - say less than I intended in many more words, and in a rather confusing way.

Joy!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

space boy

Quote from: Rui "Trovatore" Pires on Wed 01/08/2007 21:45:04
It seems as absurd as making a "censored" version of the Titanic film where they put a digital corset over the actress when she's posing nude for the picture.

They did, you know. Make that censored version.

They probably just wanted to bring it closer to james camerons "original vision".

HillBilly

Somebody once made a comic book about the Jeffrey Dahmer killings: one of the victims' sister was really pissed about it, because she was drawn white and skinny, when she was black and fat.

Even though racism is a hideous thing, there are certain situations when drawing the race card does more bad than good, or just seem plain silly. Like with RE5.

Vince Twelve

Perhaps all violent games need an option at the beginning where you choose your race.  Then, in the game, you play someone of your race killing only people of your race.  No one could call that racist.  Sexist, however...

Ok, add a gender option too...

And you know the plot of this game is going to be about how the evil Umbrella corporation is doing illegal zombie pharmaceutical testing in Africa, making the greedy white westerners the real enemy anyways.

Side note: hot damn, that trailer looks awesome!

Mr Flibble

I'm glad that people commenting on the "article" are pointing out it's obvious flaws instead of being all "Right on, everything is evil". Apparently idiocy isn't as contagious as I had feared  :D
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

monkey0506

You would think that the fact that this is the fifth sixth(?) game in the series would get the point across that this isn't necessarily an original idea. New location, new objectives, etc., but essentially the same game. With better graphics.

So to say that the game is racist simply because it depicts "black zombies" as the antagonist of the story is completely absurd. The author had no problem saying that "ALL zombies should be white." She later said that, "[She] do[es] find the images of violence against Black people to be problematic even if those Black people are supposed to be zombies or whatever."

The author takes the stand that any violence portrayed against the black race is to be considered racism, no matter the cause for the violence. Police brutality or self defense? Either way, it's gotta be racism. She has no problem if the violence is portrayed against the white race; apparently it's then okay.

In the original blog she wrote, "Start them young… fearing, hating, and destroying Black people." The fact that there were prior games in which the players where engaged in killing the white zombies wasn't mentioned. But does this mean that our young are also supposed to fear, hate, and destroy the white people? Or...and this may be a stretch...perhaps the link between the fear, hate, and destruction isn't that these "bad-guys" are "people"...they are ZOMBIES. Perhaps (and pardon me if this is too much for you to comprehend) we're not training our youth against people but rather against the impending zombie invasion.

In short this is simply another prime example of "crying racism." The author has used propaganda and racism to denounce the evils of racism. On her behalf she did link one equally notable source...because obviously depicting the African people as we have been lead to believe they are (malnourished and therefore likely candidates for zombie-ism) can only be taken for what it really is...pure unadulterated racism. Which can only be undone by replacing these sickly black zombies with rich, healthy white zombies (which clearly seeing as they are white means it would then be impossible for anyone to even consider using the word "racist" (unless of course these white zombies attack an innocent black non-zombie)).

Vince Twelve

"Start them young… fearing, hating, and destroying Black people."

If you replace "Black people" with "zombies" it stops sounding racist, and starts sounding prudent!

monkey0506

And of course if you simply replace "black" with "white": "Start them young... fearing, hating, and destroying White people." it them becomes reparations. :=

Pesty

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Thu 02/08/2007 06:34:17
"Start them young… fearing, hating, and destroying Black people."

If you replace "Black people" with "zombies" it stops sounding racist, and starts sounding prudent!

I know that if I ever have kids, they'll be started at an early age to be prepared for a zombie invasion. No child of mine is going to go down without a fight when the undead attack!

Also, I have nothing to say about that article that doesn't turn into uncontrollable laughter. People like that woman are ridiculous and love to use their race as a crutch whenever they see something they don't like. Everything is racism when you're used to getting your way by playing the vic-hahahahahahahahaha see there I go!
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk