What are you reading?

Started by DGMacphee, Tue 06/05/2003 15:30:49

Previous topic - Next topic

DGMacphee

Just wondering if anyone is reading (or has read) any good books of late?

As for me: I just finished Kinky Friedman's "Elvis, Jesus and Coca-Cola" and have just started on Arthur Golden's "Memoirs of a Geisha", which I think is damn good so far and I've only read three chapters.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

n3tgraph

I'm currently reading some books from weiss & hickman
very good! :)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Vel

"Cannery row" - John Steinback

veryweirdguy

The last good book I read was "Popcorn" by Ben Elton, but a lot of you will probably have read it already.

MillsJROSS

I'm re-reading the Douglas Adams Hitchiker series. I bought the mini-series, and after seeing it, I had felt the urge to re-read the books. I'm almost done, and my next books are probably going to be one by Pratchett, and another from Brian Jacques (who writes novels aimed for children but I think they're still enjoyable, and his Redwall books are what got me hooked on reading). I also plan on reading Stupid White Men, but Micheal Moore. And then I'll probably read some sci-fi fantasy book my dad recomended the other day (which I unfortunaltly, don't know the name of it, and I'll have to wait until he is done with it). I kind of fell out of reading while at school. I started out strong with Sir Connan Doyle's books on Sherlock Holmes (which I have yet to complete the whole of his works, so you can put that on the list as well). And only ready 8 or so Pratchett novels from August to now, and Franny and Zooey by Salinger. That reminds me, I have to re-read Atlas Shrugged, by Rand. That should keep me busy for a while.

-MillsJROSS

veryweirdguy

I too love the Hitchiker series and anything by Terry Pratchett. Strangely, all of Douglas Adam's other books (that I've read) have been terrible (in my opinion).

But anyway, to anyone who hasn't read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, DO IT!

MillsJROSS

I like the Dirk Gentry books, you just have to understand that their not the same as the Hitchiker series. I still think their funny, though. But by all means, anyone who hasn't read the series, it is a must. It's a humorous science fiction. Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can find the original radio broadcasts of Hitchiker?

-MillsJROSS

Hobbes

Just finished "Lords and Ladies" by Terry Pratchett.

Am now eagerly waiting for thursday when I can go and buy the next few books in the Discworld saga.

Man, that guy is funny! :)

Vel

Hot just funny, hobbes. The discworld novels have much, much more sense than it meets the eye.

Barcik

Finally got around to Asimov's "Foundation" series, and enjoying it!
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Trapezoid

I'm not reading anything at the moment, but if I was, it would definately be a Terry Pratchett book. That crazy bastard has a bottomless pit of imagination.

Hobbes

Very true, Trapezoid!

And yes, Vel, I am aware of the many stuff Pratchett packs into his books. He's good, eh? :)

If you're seriously into reading some fantasy, I would recommend Guy Gavriel Kay. Very different from Pratchett, but really quite amazing.

Nellie

Just finished a Jeeves and Wooster book, currently re-reading Lord of the Rings.

Harvester

I've recently finished Dreamcatcher. Currently I'm reading an old sci-fi magazine from Yugoslavia (have read Jorge Luis Borges' The Library Of Babel today), Edgar Allan Poe's poetry and some book about art. I'll probably start to read Ivanhoe very soon.
None shall pass!

Paranoid Factor

Andail

I re-read "In the land of the last things" by Paul Auster, because I have nothing else to read at the moment and am too bored to go out and find anything

Fuzzpilz

I'm currently re-reading Peake's Gormenghast books because I haven't had much opportunity to buy new books lately, and also because they're worth it.

Kal-El

I'm currently reading Stephen King's The Shining. I'm a fan. I just finished 'Insomnia' and 'Bag of Bones', both excellent IMO.

Your pal, Daz.

Esseb

Operating System Concepts Sixth Edition by Abraham Silberschatz and Peter Baer Galvin.

..ok, seriously Type & Typography by Phil Baines & Andrew Haslam.

Yes, the second one I'm reading out of pure enjoyment.

AGA

I'm a big Pratchett fan too, but I've read them all before...

Recently though I've been reading Robert Rankin. Very amusing, good stories. I've gone through three or four in quick succession and I'm in the middle of another now.

Las Naranjas

I finished "Stand On Zanzibar" by Brunner a week ago, but it still has a large impact.

Now I'm reading "First And Last Men" by Stapledon.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk