Force majeure 2: The Zone (January 5: New update available)

Started by simulacra, Mon 17/10/2005 01:53:32

Previous topic - Next topic

simulacra

The downloadable web edition has been released and is available on the game web site and on the Zone Lulu Store. Soon, a CD version for the North American region will be available as well. Also updated the game web site with user responses and other goodies.

Right on!   :=

Goldmund

I think that you should release some kind of demo, or a more down-to-earth trailer (showing some of the gameplay).

I'm very interested in this game and I consider buying it on CD once you release it (if only for the beautiful design of the cover - the CDs will have cases, I hope? - and the atmospheric soundtrack), but of all the cool things surrounding your project (trailer, screens, etc.) I still don't have the faintest idea of what to expect from the game itself. How do I play it?

Or maybe I'll wait for some reviews...

simulacra

It's great to hear that you are interested in the project. You are absolutely right, a demo is necessary and in the making. I'm also working on the CD designs - there will be covers and such, of course.

simulacra

Two demo versions have been released! A regular demo and a demo with some features disabled to reduce download size.

Check it out:
http://interactingarts.org/thezone/downloads.html

These are quite short, but should give you an idea of the atmosphere of the Zone. The demo is quite linear (though the Zone is not) and has a different ending than the full game.

... and please tell me if there are any problems with the demo version. Thank you.

Pet Terry

Wow.

I'm definately doing my best to buy the cd-version. The demo was really interesting, I loved the atmosphere.

I'll have to see if I'm able to order stuff from outside of Finland. I reeeeaally want to buy this game. And if I can't, I'm hoping to buy a copy from you at Lapaset!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

simulacra

There are actually two CD versions. One is printed in Sweden by Fabel Förlag and has Swedish packaging (though the Zone is in English) and the other is printed in the US by Lulu. I just have to finish design work for two books, then there'll be a US/International CD version as well.

And thank you for the response. Warms my heart to know that all the effort was not in vain. :)

Ubel

I just tried the demo... God damn awesome job you have done there! It was a good idea to release a demo. It sure got my interests up!

You bring a copy to Lapaset (if you're coming) for me to buy!

simulacra

Yes, I should have thought of that from the beginning. The only thing I have against the demo is that it's very linear compared to the game itself.

simulacra

Five copies of the Zone are given away. :o Please check web site for details on how to get your free copy of the Zone.

http://www.interactingarts.org/thezone/

Barbarian

I filled out the form for your give-away contest, but when I click on the "Send" button, nothing seems to happen.

Anyways, good luck with the game. From what I seen of it thus far, it looks fantastic.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

simulacra

Thanks for pointing this out.

Wierd, when I try it out it does work. We have had some DNS troubles with this site and I know how to fix it, but the guy who has the passwords ran off to Istanbul a couple of months ago. Unless he cares to return soon and there still are problems with the form, please send your submissions to:

thezone@verkligheter.se

lakerz

I played through the full demo.  I'm liking it so far.  The music is especially mysterious.  Waiting to see how much the total cost is for the game + shipping to US.

mnemonics

Purchased the download version of the game and boy was I impressed.  Fantastic job Leo!  I submitted a review under the The Zone page on AGS with more more detail.  I would highly recommend this to those of you who are interested, you will not be disappointed.  A truly unique experience.  I hope to see more from Leo. 

By the way, Leo, what external software did you use in the game's production? 

simulacra

Thank you for the feedback! That was really encouraging.

I used a quite variety of productions softwares aside from AGS when making the Zone: Adobe Photoshop, Inno Setup Compiler, Sound Forge, Adobe Premiere, iMovie, Adobe Illustrator, Bryce, IconDeveloper, RAD Video Tools and Tsunami MPEG Encoder. I also used Macromedia Dreamweaver and Adobe ImageReady for making the web site.

And I am still working on the CD version, but has gotten the flu or something lately.

Andail

It's a very intruiging and original story, but it's a tad too little gameplay for me, and too much story.
Still, great photo, great music, great atmosphere. Good job!

PS:
The whistle song is nice (the theme song), is there a clean version without the background noise, pray?

simulacra

Thanks!

I guess the Zone more or less is the story, though I have new idea in mind where the gameplay and story would merge in a more smooth manner. Perhaps you'd like that better if I finish it.

There is no clear version of that song as it is sampled from an obscure track that was released in the 1920s. The whistling emerged out of an otherwise happy song and touched something inside me, so I decided to revive it. The version in the Zone has undergone serious noise reduction, and I think that is as good as it gets.

sergiocornaga

Candle

Quote from: SergioCornaga on Mon 12/12/2005 03:53:42
Huh. According to Adventure Gamers this game is still in production.
Your just stuck in the Adventure Gamers time zone.

simulacra

Yep.

I have contacted them and asked them to update, but so far no update.

cjhrules

Well I have tried you demo and I must say it has a very nice atmosphere!
i have ordered a copy from fabel förlag ( I also live in sweden ) as a chrismats present for my girlfriend so we can play together.... Bra jobbat!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk