MODULE & PLUGIN: Ags 3d v1.20

Started by Kweepa, Sun 11/09/2005 23:45:01

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

CJ changed Allegro version, so I dunno if that's it...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

sim.ka, could you try and find out what makes it quit like that? I can compile and test the demo game that comes with the module/plugin even with the latest AGS myself...

This module/plugin came with it's own Allegro file. Are you using that one, instead of another one?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

sim.ka

You mean alleg42.dll?

If yes, then i'm using the one wich came with the plugin.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Out of curiosity, can you compile/test the demo game?

Kneel. Now.

sim.ka

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Right-o, ok. I daresay Steve has enough info to look into it, but I'd also advise you to try and figure out what part of your code is causing the crash. Even if it means commenting it all out and restoring commands one by one. It could wield interesting info - if you can compile and run the test game, it must be something specific to what you have. ANd since you're following the tutorial, this is something to be looked into, indeed.

Kneel. Now.

Revan

I've downloded the winzip file, but winzip tells me it is an invalid archive file and to try to download it again. So i have 3 times, with same results

Candle

Revan

Thanks but why is it opening in Media Player?

Candle

It's a rar file . you have to unrar it . you have something to unrar it?
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/quickzip.html

Elliott Hird

I find the official client at http://www.rarlabs.com/ to be much better.

Candle

But it isn't free, is it?

monkey0506

WinRAR is free for evaluation.  After the evaluation you have to buy the software.  Of course, you don't lose any functionality if you choose to continue using it after the evaluation period.  You're just not legally allowed to.

Kweepa

Ok, I finally got back to working on this.
I decided to make some big changes:
* converted parts of the engine to c++ and stl for readability and safety
* added multiple ambient, point, directional and cone lights (they still only act on the vertices)
* switched the coordinate system to x = right, y = forward, z = up
* removed the Novodex support since it was a bit of a gimmick
* updated to AGS 2.71

If anyone is developing a game using Ags3d, the most obvious and painful change is probably the coordinate system switch. It seems arbitrary, but I decided to do it to make the internal matrix representation more sensible, which makes working on the engine less confusing. The easiest way to convert any existing rooms is to create some functions that swap y and z and call the Ags3d.Add/Set functions.

I don't have a release yet - I'm still checking for bugs - but it should be relatively soon.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

HeirOfNorton

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Tue 28/02/2006 15:09:57
* removed the Novodex support since it was a bit of a gimmick

Right. You should go with ODE instead.    ;)

HoN

DoorKnobHandle

That's great news, Steve. Sounds really good, I can't wait to take a look at the next release version. :)

Besh

Hi Steve,

In the list of changes/news you don't mentioned shadows. Shadows make all more realistic. If you are interested, I wrote a simple piece of code that simulate the StencilBuffer that I use to implement ShadowVolume technique (I would want to use it also for myplugin but: 3Dchar + 2Droom = where display the shadows??)

Good work.

PS: astonish our eyes again
"Spread our codes to the stars,
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

Kweepa

Thanks for the offer - but I think I'm going to just polish up what I have and then get on with writing a game with it. I should be able to release something this weekend. It won't look too different from the last version - just a bit faster hopefully.
If I was going to add anything it would probably be a blender model importer so that I could create rooms in blender. That'd be useful, since the current system is hard work.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

IceMan

Now there's an excellent idea!  Blender's a fantastic tool - hope you implement it, and congrats on a superb module!

KANDYMAN-IAC

Is a 640 x 480 version possible? Or maybe have the 3d area only 480 x 320 covered by Gui around the edge like the Tex Murphy interactive movies. I'm curious if it would be possible to emulate a few rooms along those lines to get the feel for the potential of a system like this.

It makes me want to make an interactive movie.

is lighting a possibility???

Funny thing is you could also use this system to make a first person shooter as well.... not that you'd want to of course.
"Don't lose the bluecups they may be our only hope....!!1!!!1"

"I'm jealous of all of you guys, which means. I love your work, I just hate you as a person.... wait thats not right."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk