Trilby's Notes

Started by , Mon 26/06/2006 00:40:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Cluey

I just dled this, played the first five minutes, nearly shit myself on that first scare, and now I am going to school.  Great game, the text parser aint so bad as well.
Aramore
My webcomic.

Spare-Flair

Yahtzee is amazing and as an artist I know what it's like to be very hurt by people's negatives comments about work that I've poured blood sweat and tears into so I'll say that this is the best AGS game I have played to date that may only be surpassed by Yatzee's next work or the Indy Fountain of Youth game if it ever comes out.

Thanks again Ben for a great game, it took me OVER A WEEK playing in 10 minute bursts to pass the game because I was too damn frightened to play anylonger! I realized that you crossed over every few transitions so I kept taking pills in every room because I didn't dare crossover! Didn't figure out the cola's use until near the end. The flashbacks were innovative and really fun, I enjoyed playing as various others more than Trilby since it was like a new adventure/world each time.

There's a bug though, in that anytime you specify look at wine or use wine or anything in conjunction with wine, it'll come up with an incongrous statement "I have to specify whether I mean the wine or cola bottle" when it's obvious you do specify.

One more thing, I'm wondering what exactly is the point of the doll (even trilby says it's stupid, a kind of in-joke?) Did it relate to the story in any way or was it just there as a puzzle?

Also -> what the heck is the thing with yellow and black stripes that the tall man is holding in his left hand (while holding the man in the other hand) during the first final cutscene with the ritualists?

Spare-Flair

In addition to the doll explanation (unless it's just an adventure game cliche joke), I wished there was an explanation for the magic water.

Spare-Flair

Forgot to mention I loved the parser because I cut my teeth on adventure games with Police Quest II, what I consider to be the ultimate parser game.

Plus typing is MUCH MUCH MUCH faster than using a mouse (although people don't usually believe it). Using a mouse in an adventure game is actually very tedious. I will always prefer typing rather than clicking everywhere and everything. The only suggestion I have is a method to increase walking speed like in old Sierra games.

5 Days a Stranger was a good system but tedious although it allowed better combinations although the inventory window was always in the way. 7 Days a Skeptic felt limited in it's simplicity and also a little clumsy. The best mouse interface has the be the type where clicking the left mouse button will change from look to use, etc. And normally the cursor is a crosshair for walking. Then when you use an adverb the eye icon will glow or something on applicable items. Inventory was on a bar below. Stargate Adventure has this and that's probably the best non-parser interface I have used so far.

BerserkerTails

Finished Trilby's Notes, and it's another great addition to the Trilby games. I agree that the characters weren't as well written as in the first two games, but the added tension nearly made up for it. Some things I loved about the game:

Spoiler
The last puzzle. It's solution was one of the first things I tried, and I was glad that it worked, albeit you had to wait until the last possible second.

The random scares. Things like "it hurts" and Trilby turning into DeFoe/Welder. Very cool indeed.
[close]

Things I didn't like:

Spoiler
It definitely had a few plot holes. Things like why was Simone murdered? It was set up as if she was murdered by the Welder (Long, machete-esque wound), but besides Trilby's weird halucinations, the Welder wasn't even in the game. It could have been that Lenkman murdered Simone in order to get Trilby to the hotel, but then why did the STP confirm supernatural involvment in the muder?

Also, the idol seems a bit confusing. We know that mucking about with it on July 28th gives the Tall Man the right to kick ass. But what about DeFoe? Since DeFoe's body was destroyed in 5 Days, it should explain why the Idol no longer possesses anyone with DeFoe's spirit. So why then, does it possess so many people in 7 Days? Furthermore, 7 Days takes place over a July 28th, so why wouldn't the Tall Man come kick some ass on the ship?

Hopefully the last game answers some of these questions...
[close]
I make music.

Sythe

I disagree with respect to the parser is better than mouse topic.

The most painful part of the whole game was walking up and down those bloody stairs and checking all the rooms when the next thing that the player was supposed to do wasnt obvious.

That said I did enjoy the game and its another fine piece of work from possibly the best amature game author I've encountered.

I didn't think the game was as scary as 5 days. I'm not sure if its my sound card or what but the music in 5 days always started off sort of spooky then ended with sharp computerised notes. Which at the time I recalled freaked me out quite considerably - music and sound effects are so very important in atmosphere.

On the topic of sound effects - I realised that one of 'points of gravity' with these games is the foot steps. When I realised this I also noticed that they were all taken from half life :) along with a number of other sound effects used in other games.

Props to m0ds for the music - it was great.

This game: 9/10
5 days: 10/10
7 days: 9/10
Fantabulous Galaxy of Wonderment: 8/10

Absolutely love Yahtzee's games - Keep 'em comming :D

mspenguin

Argh! I'm stuck in the very first room! How embarrassing is that? I have walked and stood everywhere, and have tried to open blinds but it just keeps saying I'm not close enough. A hint would be greatly appreciated!

I absolutely love Yahtzee's games and comics!

AJA

Quote from: mspenguin on Thu 13/07/2006 15:17:40
Argh! I'm stuck in the very first room! How embarrassing is that? I have walked and stood everywhere, and have tried to open blinds but it just keeps saying I'm not close enough. A hint would be greatly appreciated!

Move closer to the blinds first? :P
Also, check this thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=27118.0

Nelinas

I just want to thank you!
To be honest, I've almost completely quit the AGS Forums. I came back occasionally to check for a new game by you and for the Devil's Shroud-Part3.
Thank you!

P.S. Sorry, I've been too hasty, just seeing your name.
But that is not my type of game.
I wish you success i your fuure releases.

P.P.S. It is all my fault, I only read (and was so enthusiastic):
"It's a direct sequel to 5 Days A Stranger set four years later, and telling the story of how Trilby re-acquired the idol of John DeFoe prior to launching it into space prior to 7 Days A Skeptic."Ã,  Ã, -Ã,  and that was more than enough for me!
I missed that part:
"The game is parser driven..."
Sorry! Good Luck.

Kristina

This may be a dumb question, but I haven't seen anyone else post this problem, so...If dumb questions bug you, ignore the following.

I just downloaded Trilby's Notes, and I'm very excited to start playing it, but when I run it, the game is displayed very off-center, to the point where I can't read the text because half of it is cut off (running off the edge of the screen).

Um.  No one else seems to have this problem so is it my computer's display settings?  I've tried various things to no avail.   

Help?

Gilbert

Just tweak with your monitor's settings (those knobs/buttons etc. usually in front of it),

Kristina

Thank you, Gilbot!  I took your advice and tweaked with the buttons on the monitor and found "auto adjust" which solved the problem.  I appreciate your answering that "duh" question.

Cluey

Quote from: Sythe on Tue 11/07/2006 08:18:53
I'm not sure if its my sound card or what but the music in 5 days always started off sort of spooky then ended with sharp computerised notes.

The music from 5 Days was mostly taken from RPG Maker 2000.
Aramore
My webcomic.

sergiocornaga

Quote from: mspenguin on Thu 13/07/2006 15:17:40
Argh! I'm stuck in the very first room! How embarrassing is that?
Not too bad, considering that's actually the second (playable) room.

advent

QuoteArgh! I'm stuck in the very first room! How embarrassing is that?
There's a walkthrough on the Hints and Tips of this game.

ginanubismon

Hi, I tried playing the game but every time I try to start it up it shuts down before even starting and saying there was a fatal exception.
"I shall call thee, Roger Ellison David Nicouli Etcher Calvin Kevin Sue in honor of what kind of a big jack@$$ you had been to guys like me." ADR -01 Jabberwock Type on fanfiction writers.

m0ds

You need a better PC.

MarkPhantom

I can't imagine how long this must have taken him to do. It's a staggeringly well told story, and being a determined storyteller I've got to say he told his story in a brilliant fashion. If I have any problems with it, its the prevalence of 'search every room for a useful object' puzzles rather than logical thinking. Otherwise, the game is brilliantly and effectively creepy and often very disturbing - I think he has hit the artwork and backgrounds well on the head.

'Hallow's End: Everyone goes there eventually'  http://www.freewebs.com/codpiecestudios

n3tgraph

Great game!

I thought it was better then the space episode which I didn't really like.
5das was greath though, really spooky

The parser didn't bother me at all, graphics were fine
Great storyline, and I hope m0ds will never say to me again that he's not a musician.... because he does quite well ;)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

cjhrules

Amazing! Great game!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk