POST - MITTENS

Started by La Lore, Wed 23/08/2006 18:12:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Esseb

MrColossal

You say that as if CJ cares...
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

AGA

Springfield, Massachusetts? At least we can buy guns to shoot each other with!

Nacho

Ok... I left some time to the protagonists to tell the story... But if I don't see here, written, the sea oddissey story, I am going to tell it.

You choose.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

scotch

You want the sea odyssey? Ok! Unfortunately I don't have many pictures and I'm no good at explaining the peril we were in with words, but there's a tiny video that disco took.

The Epic, Ill Fated Voyage to la Isla del Descubridor (A Genuine Mittens Adventure)

There is an island off Benidorm (1), a mysterious sloped rock sticking out of the sea which was created during a sword fight between two giants. As soon as Disco and I saw it from the beach we knew we had to go there. There are two options: the first option is to take the ferry, it costs €10. The second option is to take your €10s and buy a 6 foot, inflatable, orange boat for two (children, under 210 pounds combined) and a pair of oars. We managed to recruit two more people from the Mittens group into our crew, so a few days later we bought two boats and made our way to the sea. The boats and crew were as follows.

Princess Peach*:
- Captain Scotch
- Navigator Disco

The... Other Boat**:
- Admiral Magintz
- Engineer Petteri

We brought with us supplies comprising of water, champagne (to christen the boats with), bread, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, potato chips, salsa, and to avoid scurvy, lemons.
We had to head out to the rocky bit at the eastern end of Playa Levante (2) to be able to escape the tourist safety barriers and get into the open seas. We messed up getting into the boats so that our shoes got wet and some of the bread. Disco and I were off first, and we quickly got the hang of rowing together. Gary and Petteri didn't seem to be doing so well on the rowing front, and we ended up leaving them behind and losing sight of them.

We rowed for a long while, and although the island was getting visibly closer, we realised it was a lot further away than it seemed from the beach. No matter, we weren't going to give up. We realised we were pretty far out for two guys in a children's small boat, so in order not to get any attention from the other big boats out in the bay we would stop and eat some of our picnic whenever they went past, in order not to look in any distress.

After an hour's rowing there weren't many boats about, and we were leaving the shelter of the bay... the waves were getting bigger, and the wind was picking up, making it hard to keep the inflatable boat going in one direction. Now and then a freak wave would take us by surprise, filling the boat up with water. My shoes were wet already, so we used them to bail out water. See video. There were a lot of large orange jellyfish about in these waters... luckily none of them decided to jump in on the waves.

Every now and then we'd start laughing at how absurd the situation was. It was about now that Disco mentioned that he suffered from RSI. We could no longer see the beach, but the sky scrapers of Benidorm were easy to spot over the waves.

We kept rowing... this must have been two and a half hours in... and we were both very tired. We started to realise we were drifting to the west of the island, and tried to counter, but however fast we paddled, we seem to be getting no closer. After a few concerted efforts we gave in to the fact that the wind was too strong and started to head for the beach. Unfortunately the wind was too strong even for that, and we ended up travelling mainly along the coast (3) rather than towards it. Disco was finding it very difficult to row, due to his RSI, and with one paddle I couldn't do much more than turn the boat.

Watching buildings on the coast drift by it became apparent we were going to go around the other end of Benidorm and off to some other town entirely, possibly one in Africa. We'd joked about it before, but now it actually seemed like we were in serious trouble. I felt bad but I had to make Disco row, and eventually we managed to get back into a position where at the worst, we'd hit some rocks and drown. A little bit further and we appeared to be heading for a secluded beach by some hotels, hooray!

But then something awesome happened (4)! We saw a speed boat coming out of the beach, bouncing over the waves. Disco decided to use the "what are you looking at? never seen some people having a picnic on the sea before?" approach again, and started to eat some cherry tomatoes. This wasn't just any boat though, it had red crosses all over it, it was the Red Cross! We tried to contain our laughter as they stopped along side us and pulled our boat into theirs. ¿Habla Ingles? we said. The man did indeed habla ingles and he explained to us that there was too much wind to be in an inflatable boat. Ah, we got it now.. We told him we had come from playa Levante, and he told the guy at the wheel to go there. They were very professional, and we tried to be too. The wheel guy radioed in that he had picked up "dos niños", to which Disco protested "WE ARE MEN!", but he didn't get it. It was so awesome.

We landed at the marina in central Benidorm (5), and a police boat followed us in. They stopped us as we got off and we had to answer some questions. Just our names, and where we were from.

"Where where you born?", asked the policeman to Disco.
"Michigan", Disco replied.

"Mexico", the guy writes on the forms. I don't know if Disco managed to correct him or not. And that was it, we were free to go. When we got onto the street the clock said it was past 5pm, we were at sea for about 5 1/2 hours. We walked back to the camp site with the boat (6), and told them this story and ate the remains of the food. Apparently Gary and Petteri stayed in the area that we set off from, and were eventually brought in by a dutch man's boat, and they got to see dolphins.

It was an awesome adventure and even when we thought we might die, we were having fun.Ã,  It was even crazier than the Brittens Storm Drain Incident. Disco is the best person to be with when you're in trouble. I'd be happy to try again some day, when there's less wind.

* Disco said that if it sank, at least he'd be able to say he'd gone down on Princess Peach.
** What did you two name yours?

SSH

Disco

I think Magintz and Petteri's boat was named Princess Peach, which is only fair since the "going down" thing was Gary's idea for a future edition of his webcomic. Our boat should be posthumously renamed to Princess Toadstool (which still applies), and is the name I grew up with. Curse you N64!

EDIT: PHOTOS!!1

We buy our boats and supplies prior to our historic journey which will be fabled in story and song

Magintz and Petteri can't keep up

A little closer, but because our lust for adventure, we must leave them behind :'(

YAY

Cool!

fuck

This is about as close as we made it to the island

At least we have a nice story out of this misadventure. Perhaps we can buy another boat during Brittens or Mittens next year and try again. We are the Lewis and Clark of the two-thousands  :D.

Quote from: scotch on Tue 29/08/2006 14:39:01
Disco is the best person to be with when you're in trouble.

Aw, schucks  ;D

Anarcho

Wow, that's quite an adventure.  And that island looked pretty far away!  Not too bright!  But i would have done it too.

MrColossal

If Mittens teaches people anything it should be that islands are farther away than they appear...

Mittens 04 and 06 should be remembered for this.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Helm

But we made it just fine in Mittens 03
WINTERKILL

MrColossal

Did you, really?

* MrColossal places his hand on Helm's shoulder and looks in his eyes sadly...

Did you?

Helm

DON'T FUCK WITH ME, MAN
WINTERKILL

jetxl

Quote from: MrColossal on Tue 29/08/2006 17:45:22
If Mittens teaches people anything it should be that islands are farther away than they appear...

Mittens 04 and 06 should be remembered for this.
The heck you talking about. Me and Mills would have reached the island if it wasn't for that dog and those meddling kids.

m0ds

Did we really go to an aqua park in Sweden, because I don't remember it and I wasn't drunk at all that year...

I vaguely remember an indoor pool but I may be thinking of Scouts 10 years ago.. :P

jetxl

Nope, but there was a swimming contest through jellyfish (that I won. yay me). Andail did regret participating, but that was more because of the bottle of rum he drank solo.

Radiant

I believe the jellyfish won that contest. Or maybe it was this Spanish woman who was kicking them around? (Jellyball?)

As promised during Mittens, since several people stated they didn't understand the game earlier, here's an updated version of META, the only AGS game that runs inside the game editor. Now improved for better gameplay, and less Cuppit.

(Infinite Monkeys aka the All-Mags-Rulesets-Combined game coming up soon, as also promised) (and sorry for shameless plugging but Cuppit held my rubber ducky hostage so I couldn't help it)

Pet Terry

Here are the couple of photos I took. If some of the photos aren't working, let me know and I'll fix them.

I beg Disco, Becky, m0ds and Sinitrena (+anyone else I might have forgotten) to post their photos.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Helm

The photos work, some awesome ones in your series. Thank you, Petteri, for posting them! I feel all nostalgic now.
WINTERKILL

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

My only question is...Why burn KQ 7 as opposed to 8?  I mean, I dislike them all, but 8 is usually the most despised.

Pet Terry

I'm uploading a rar-file containing all of my photos (resized), so people don't have to go and save all of my photos one by one. I'm hoping other people do this as well, and if not, expect a PM from me in the near future. Yes, I'm lazy and don't feel like saving hundreds of photos one by one!

http://www.yadapops.com/photos/mittens2006/petterismittens2006.rar
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk