Whats the diffbetween Siera and Lucas?

Started by gamester, Mon 30/12/2002 03:34:17

Previous topic - Next topic

gamester

Whats the diffbetween Siera and Lucas style games?

I know this sounds like a lamer questions but Ive played very few of these types of games.
Monkey Island and Grim Fandango is about it :/

And I cant find any text explaining this.If there is a text out there,  let me know.

Scummbuddy

The difference between them is only in what motivates them.  Both get a game idea across, both usually very well.  Different styles of portraying these stories are used, mostly by the interface.

For some ideas, check out this list.  It may not be most agreed on, but its good.
http://www.adventuregamers.com/display.php?id=186
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

gamester

Thanks.  I appreciate the thought.
But the page didnt help much.

I just wanted to know basic diferences in the two.

I keep hearing stuff on both styles but no text ON
the subject.

Geuss it aint a real big deal. But thanks for the advice.

Raggit

I don't think there really IS a difference between Sierra and Lucas.

People often use the classic Sierra or Lucas debate as something to argue about. I personnaly wish the debate would die and not come back.

Why can't people like both?

Anyway, I better shut up before I start the mass debate again!
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

gamester

Cool.  Good to know then.
My curiosity was for which could do what. As far as
things yoiu can do in the game. interface wise. But if you can
do everything in either mode, no skin of my nose :|

Thanks

Raggit

Well both have all the needed interface functions.

Look, talk, walk, interact.

The games are different of course. Sierra adventure games had more photo realistic graphics, while some Lucas games had a cartoonish look.

Lucas games from what I've heard have more humor and most Sierra games had a more serious twist.

Personally I'm a solid Sierra fan.
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Sluggo

I think the two big things that people notice differently about the two is the interface and dying.

Sierra interface is either a text parser, or the interface bar thing with the walk, look, interact, talk, and inventory buttons (the only exceptions I can think of are GK and KQ7). Sierra games are more action based also.

Lucasarts interface was the walk, look, push, pull, open, close, talk, take, etc. I guess with so many options the player seems more in control. There was also a verb coin, and some games had sierra-like interfaces. I haven't played every lucasarts game so I don't know every single interface that was used. Inventory was also displayed in an open area on the screen. There were choices for dialog in Lucasarts games, which I don't think Sierra ever had.

In Sierra games you can die practically everywhere, and there are probably some times where there is walking dead. To my knowledge you can never die in a Lucasarts game, and I'm pretty sure there is no walking dead at all either.

Those are the main differences in the guidelines the game developers went by.

Scummbuddy

When Sam n Max came from LucasArts, it came a little closer to sierra style with its interface.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Raggit

You can't die in Lucas games?

I thought you could.

KQ7 had a pretty bad interface.

Sierra did have conversation options in some games. Laura Bow 2, QFG series and so on. As well as with the typing games, you could have multiple conversation options.

I'm kinda confused by the term "walking dead". I assume you mean ghosts and stuff. I really don't like that stuff in the Sierra games. It kinda creeps me out with all the ghosts and things. Not all Sierra games had that though.

The only two I can think of that had the creepiest walking dead stuff was KQ4, and KQ6. KQ6 especially, since you have to travel to the Realm of the Dead. I hate that part. It keeps me awake at night!

(I only tinkered with KQ4, I never finished it.)
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Cerulean

"Walking dead" means that you can find yourself in a position you can't win from; you're basically dead and you don't know it. Like if you forget to pick up some vital thing and then the game doesn't let you go back and get it.

Scummbuddy

If you do something extremely stupid in a LucasArts game, you can die, but they wont penalize you that bad.
-Hoagie from DOTT

NTL.

Duke Entertainment Message Boards (DEILF)
Duke Entertainment Official Website <-- Recently updated
uhhh... I Live Forever!!!

Las Naranjas

FOA is the only post Loom/MI LEC adventure when you can die.

LEC also put alot more emphasis on dialogue and character over action. Sierra only really did this in the GK games and to a degree in the Laura Bow games.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

NTL.

Duke Entertainment Message Boards (DEILF)
Duke Entertainment Official Website <-- Recently updated
uhhh... I Live Forever!!!

earlwood

The GUI's are different..thats about it

Timosity

I think you can die in MI2 when you are hanging in the jail cell with wally, if you take too long you die, but I can't remeber what happens next, I think you probably get to play from the start of the scene again

Gilbert

Actually you can sorta die in Full Throttle many times in certain scenes, you're brought back to the start of the scenes after that immediately though.

Toefur

I think Sierra and Lucasarts adventures are very different.

I don't mean the style of graphics, or interface, but in the way the stories are told and portrayed to us. They are very, very, different in my mind.

I think.

I havn't really played any for a long time. :P

Gonzo

I think it's that LucasArts are more character-driven, putting a lot of emphasis on dialogue, whereas Sierra games were more object-driven. The points tally in Sierra games was a different slant on the genre too. Also, Sierra games seem to have quite often been geared towards a big epic storyline (except for a couple like LSL), whereas with LucasArts the objective was often a bit less grand, or it seemed it to begin with and then escalated into something big (e.g. DoTT).

I always saw LEC as the superior company, with the more polished games, and for a time I was quite anti-Sierra, but I came to appreciate them. That was partly because I *needed* to Sierra games to tide me over, as LEC have tended to release adventures at least a year apart. That gap has now got even bigger, and I'm now playing Sierra games I never tried to fill the void, and being pleasantly surprised. I've recently been doing the Quest For Glory series, which is great (on #3 now).

Barcik

I'd say the big difference is in atmosphere and style, but it is really hard for me to put in words. I think you'll have to play both companies' games to know what I am talking about.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk