Earl Mansin: The Breakout 1.1

Started by HillBilly, Sun 01/07/2007 18:50:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Nostradamus

This was awesome  :=

This game will be a contender for many AGS awards this year. Great lucasarts style graphics, great animation and videos, great voice acting & dialogue, itesm description were amusing, puzzles were the right level - challenging but not overly difficult, though I agree with Snarky about the bed sheets puzzle process. I loved the death scenes but the game must really have poped up the option to load or restart instead of exiting on you. All in all a very enjoyable game in a great style, leaving a taste for more.

Two bugs though, the major one is that after doing the final puzzle the game crashes. That just can't happen!
The minor one is that in inventory screen (which is greatly designed btw) sometimes when you click the look on items, you get the description for another item in the inventory and not the one you intended and clicked on.

deadsuperhero

I just finished playing it, that was well worth the wait!
Earl's voice is just simply...hilarious.
I love the writing, the humor, the dialogue, the puzzles.
My favorite bit though, was rummaging around the desk, and just taking things.
"I don't need it, but what the hell."
"Another inventory item never killed anyone."
"Sure, why not."
"Ah, something useful, lets put all this worthless crap back."

And I really loved "Well, looks like I'm up shit creek without a paddle."
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Mordalles

i agree. cool game! superb voice acting and pretty entertaining violent cutscenes.  ;D
thanks, hillbilly.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

HillBilly

Quote from: Nostradamus on Wed 11/07/2007 15:25:41
This was awesome  :=

This game will be a contender for many AGS awards this year. Great lucasarts style graphics, great animation and videos, great voice acting & dialogue, itesm description were amusing, puzzles were the right level - challenging but not overly difficult, though I agree with Snarky about the bed sheets puzzle process. I loved the death scenes but the game must really have poped up the option to load or restart instead of exiting on you. All in all a very enjoyable game in a great style, leaving a taste for more.

Thank you for the kind words! I've already explained why the game exits and don't go back to the menu a few times, so I won't bother being a broken record. :P

Quote from: Nostradamus on Wed 11/07/2007 15:25:41Two bugs though, the major one is that after doing the final puzzle the game crashes. That just can't happen!
The minor one is that in inventory screen (which is greatly designed btw) sometimes when you click the look on items, you get the description for another item in the inventory and not the one you intended and clicked on.

Did you get an AGS error when the crash occurred or just your standard "send error report" windows popup? I can't do anything with the latter, as that seems to be something with the AGS engine itself. The minor one I'll see if I can fix, but I won't promise anything. I downright suck at GUIs.  :-X

Quote from: Alliance on Wed 11/07/2007 17:36:41
I just finished playing it, that was well worth the wait!
Earl's voice is just simply...hilarious.
I love the writing, the humor, the dialogue, the puzzles.
My favorite bit though, was rummaging around the desk, and just taking things.
"I don't need it, but what the hell."
"Another inventory item never killed anyone."
"Sure, why not."
"Ah, something useful, lets put all this worthless crap back."

And I really loved "Well, looks like I'm up shit creek without a paddle."

Sonny did an magnificent job on Earl's dead pan and apathetic voice. I'm glad you liked it too!

Quote from: Mordalles on Wed 11/07/2007 17:48:48
i agree. cool game! superb voice acting and pretty entertaining violent cutscenes.  ;D
thanks, hillbilly.

You're welcome! :)

Nostradamus

It was an AGS error message, not a windows error

HillBilly

By golly man, tell me what it said. I'm working on the patch right now, and it would really help.

Nostradamus

AppName: earl mansin.exe    AppVer: 2.62.772.0    ModName: earl mansin.exe
ModVer: 2.62.772.0    Offset: 000acf76

And actually it generated a windows error log report.
Don't know if this helps.

Giest

Pretty good game, but I think that with your graphic, animation, sound, etc., capabilities you guys are capable of making something really top notch. Perhaps your puzzle making, graphic scale, and story creation wasn't that great in this game, but you guys certainly have the ability to make something better. I hope to see something from you in the future that's a knock out.

Thanks for the game.

b0bskij

I had to register just to say what a wonderful game you've created!

Hillarious stuff indeed but my only complain is that it's way too short! However I'll give it ago later on again (as it seems like there is multiple ways to knock out the 2:nd guard?)

HillBilly

Quote from: Nostradamus on Thu 12/07/2007 08:16:14
AppName: earl mansin.exe    AppVer: 2.62.772.0    ModName: earl mansin.exe
ModVer: 2.62.772.0    Offset: 000acf76

And actually it generated a windows error log report.
Don't know if this helps.

This seems to be beyond my control, sorry.

Quote from: Giest on Thu 12/07/2007 22:48:53
Pretty good game, but I think that with your graphic, animation, sound, etc., capabilities you guys are capable of making something really top notch. Perhaps your puzzle making, graphic scale, and story creation wasn't that great in this game, but you guys certainly have the ability to make something better. I hope to see something from you in the future that's a knock out.

Thanks for the game.

Since this was my first game ever, I of course expect some criticism to occur. Your comment was a bit vague for me to work with, though. Thanks for playing.

Quote from: b0bskij on Sat 14/07/2007 18:06:54
I had to register just to say what a wonderful game you've created!

Hillarious stuff indeed but my only complain is that it's way too short! However I'll give it ago later on again (as it seems like there is multiple ways to knock out the 2:nd guard?)

Glad to hear that. Yeah there are two ways to knock out the guard. I would wait for version 1.1 before playing it again though. It's all improved and bug-fixed (hopefully). Should be out any time now.

About it being too short, we'll see if I can't do something about that in the future. I have some ideas on how to extend it, and there'll be some additional locations if I go through with it. But let's all wait and see.

HillBilly

Earl Mansin: The Breakout 1.1 is out!

...And you can download it here! I've compressed the speech and movies a whole lot, so now it's at the humble size of 66,6MB. As always, if you find anything wrong, don't hesitate to tell me.

Right now I get one vote for each hundred download at average, so if you liked the game*, please give it a vote. :)
*If you didn't enjoy it, lie when voting, or avoid the voting page by all means necessary.

Some new key features:

- Now with German subtitles(by Ralf Knollmann)! And what language would suit a psychopathic serial killer better?
-Compressed speech and video files for size!
-The hammer bug and "quick escape" bug fixed!
-Adjusted and re-designed the sheet puzzles slightly. So all the previous walkthroughs of the game will have to be updated.  :-X
-New and prettier menu screen
-A funky installer, instead of a boring .rar file!

You can also download the whole soundtrack!

The website will be updated later today.

Enjoy!

[Cameron]

Just wanted to say thankyou for the game, it was really good, and the soundtrack as well, I'm listening to it now on iTunes. I cant wait for it to be continued.
Cheers
Cameron

Uku

Downloaded it (again) and finished (again). First i started panicing, when i couldn't get that rag from botton of that box then after a while i got it.

installer was great! also it seemd to me that low-quality videos make a bit better mood for game, its not so "clean" etc.
but when i die, in that room where is the tombstone there is a flash"Main menu"(quickly dissapears) and when i click no matter where, game quits. so perhaps you make something like load and quit buttons to that place? then i dont have to start the game over and over again.
PS!sorry for my english.

HillBilly

Quote from: [Cameron] on Mon 16/07/2007 03:00:31
Just wanted to say thankyou for the game, it was really good, and the soundtrack as well, I'm listening to it now on iTunes. I cant wait for it to be continued.
Cheers
Cameron

Glad you liked it. :)

Quote from: Uku on Mon 16/07/2007 10:51:36
Downloaded it (again) and finished (again). First i started panicing, when i couldn't get that rag from botton of that box then after a while i got it.

installer was great! also it seemd to me that low-quality videos make a bit better mood for game, its not so "clean" etc.
but when i die, in that room where is the tombstone there is a flash"Main menu"(quickly dissapears) and when i click no matter where, game quits. so perhaps you make something like load and quit buttons to that place? then i dont have to start the game over and over again.

Thanks! I should really do something about the menu. I'll see if I can cover it in a little patch I'll be releasing on a later occasion. (There were some small issues with the German version)

If anyone still has nitpicks, I'd love to hear them, apart from the sudden quit at the death menu.

Tsolaelia

Wow, this was a fantastic little game! Very polished - the graphics and voice acting were brilliant, and I liked the interface and the puzzles. My only nitpick would be to agree with Snarky about the lack of in-game feedback for progress on the puzzles, but really this was such an achievement, especially for a first game.

HillBilly

Quote from: Tsolaelia on Mon 16/07/2007 16:50:55
Wow, this was a fantastic little game! Very polished - the graphics and voice acting were brilliant, and I liked the interface and the puzzles. My only nitpick would be to agree with Snarky about the lack of in-game feedback for progress on the puzzles, but really this was such an achievement, especially for a first game.

Really? I would think you'd get enough feedback in the 1.1 version. If you give me any examples, I might add some hints in the next patch.

Thanks for playing. :)

Snarky

I haven't played v 1.1, but from what you describe it sounds great! I'm so happy that you keep supporting the game after the initial release. Too often, it seems, do creators abandon their games once they're posted on the Completed Games forums, neglecting to make those little tweaks that would really help them come into their own. I'm glad you took my and others' feedback, and hope it has helped improve Earl Mansin.

Afflict

dunnoson

I will take a look at the new game.  I will write a game review after I finish this game.
currently working on:

I am in the Brainstorming stage.  Also am trying to gather a team.
I am committing to this game.

Thinking about creating another game, NCIS themed.

dunnoson

:= This game is reviewed by:  dunnoson :=

This game is a very interesting game that I have reviewed.  It had a unique atmosphere, because he used a bum to portray as Earl, and it had a very interesting storyline. 
I liked the graphics, because it tells that the author spent many man-hours to make this game, and there are a couple death scenes, but it is pretty interesting.  I really liked the part where he shot a guard with a brick.

Ratings:
Puzzle – too easy
Graphics- excellent
Storyline – excellent
Replay value – none

Rating – 3 out of 5 stars.

(Not recommended for kids under 13 due to violence)
currently working on:

I am in the Brainstorming stage.  Also am trying to gather a team.
I am committing to this game.

Thinking about creating another game, NCIS themed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk