The Darksiders Part I - The Curious Case of Mark Idalo

Started by Cluey, Fri 29/02/2008 00:52:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrus

When are you going to post the Afterlife screenshots?

Cluey

Quote from: Cyrus on Wed 05/03/2008 14:13:50
When are you going to post the Afterlife screenshots?
Later this week when I'm happy with them. Expect Friday-Saturday.
Aramore
My webcomic.

Stavaas

Hey there,
really looking forward to this game. I'm actually in the works of doing something in the same time period and artstyle. Mind telling me what program you used to create the art for the game?

-Stavaas

Mr.T

Quote from: Ben304 on Tue 04/03/2008 11:22:51
This is the fourth time I've looked at this thread, and only just now did I realise that the guy is investigating his own murder.

Now this is an idea I love. I look forward to the game!

I couldn't agree more, the plot seems great, I want to play :D

vertigoaddict

I think I saw a game with quite the same plot, this guy gets beaten up to death and he has to find out why, something called 'Shadow Quest' or something; I don't remember.

Anyways, this looks great, can't wait!

Cluey

So yeah, I spent a few days working on this shizzle, it's an afterlife background, hopefully should give you an idea of the style.

Could use anti aliasing maybe...

I'm aware that there is a way to get effective anti aliasing quicky, drawing the image twice as big and then shrinking it, but I always forget lol. Something to remember for Part II....

Anyway, the place will look busier with some NPC's bustling around.

EDIT:- In response to Stavaas, I use GraphicsGale for the main part, and then I tweak the colours and certain things in PS (I'd do it in GraphicsGale, but the lack of adjustment layers is a bit of a bummer)

http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/

It's in my opinion the Photoshop of the pixelart world. Really good (and free).
Aramore
My webcomic.

Mr.T

ThreeOhFour

Yes, Gale is very cool, and yes, wonderful background!

sergiocornaga

Glad to see this revived from the dead. I think it looks better than ever.

Cluey

Ok, this is just an update post to say that with the planned downtime tomorrow-sunday and my two week holiday to Japan on Monday means I won't be updating after today until April 1st. Just incase you think the project's died. Best to have this one post than any number of potential posts asking me where I am.

TL;DR:- BRB
Aramore
My webcomic.

ShadeJackrabbit

Looks like a great game! Can't wait to hear some more progress.

Cluey

Japan was awesome. I'd talk about it more but this isn't a blog site.

I will however bump this thread back to the top, with a new background:

Streetlamp needs work, other than that, it's the outside of the ship I poster earlier.
Aramore
My webcomic.

ShadeJackrabbit

Ooh! Nice! You've got great lighting effects in your scenes...

Cluey

Quote from: ShadeJackrabbit on Sun 13/04/2008 19:42:17
Ooh! Nice! You've got great lighting effects in your scenes...
Thanks, it's only the living world backgrounds that will have the "stage set" look, the afterlife ones will be a bit more bright.

Also, these backgrounds look much better on a TFT, if you think they look too dark, tweak your gamma a bit.
Aramore
My webcomic.

miguel

All you screenshots look very good, very professional. It must take you some time getting to that perfection of lines, perspective and color choice.
Keep it up! :)
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Dualnames

I was about to notice that the lamp's lightning not correct but then i noticed your comment about and that stupid boat looking kind of awesome and cool.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

JuuJuu

This looks very good! Great screenshots! I really like the style. Hopefully all goes well, and I can play it.  ;D

dirk delshire

Looks good, and your perspectives are unique for most 2d adventure games. The way you have the real world looking noir and the afterlife colorful reminds me of The Corpse Bride. If you watch the special features on that movie Tim Burton talks about that stuff. I of course always watch them because I'm studying to become a director.
Anyway I hope you finish this game it's a nice idea. I was disappointed when the movie The Missing didn't follow up on it like the trailer implied, but not many movies live up to their trailers anyway. Best of luck chum.
OMEGA Works Lead Director
Sometimes the art defines the artist but I believe artist defines himself...

Puddleglum

The graphics are perfect. I am so excited for this one!  ;D good luck !!

Cluey

Quote from: dirk delshire on Mon 21/04/2008 23:16:34
The way you have the real world looking noir and the afterlife colorful reminds me of The Corpse Bride. If you watch the special features on that movie Tim Burton talks about that stuff. I of course always watch them because I'm studying to become a director..

I've not seen Corpse Bride, but I love Nightmare Before Christmas's style, and it's heavily influenced the way I draw the dead characters. I'll upload some sketches tonight if anyone's curious.

I'm currently working on the Police Station reception (40%) and the Death Ferry (80%), then I'm going to move onto getting a few more characters done so I can think about assembling a demo.
Aramore
My webcomic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk