AGS 3.0.1 Final 2 - Queen's English Edition

Started by Pumaman, Wed 30/01/2008 21:55:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

does what i just posted before works or doesn't it? That's the question.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

bicilotti

Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 27/03/2008 14:41:28
does what i just posted before works or doesn't it? That's the question.

It does compile smoothly without any errors, but simply is not the character I want. Among other things i need a ", and that's where the problem lies.

Dualnames

Yes, but I wasn't concerned about your problems was I? 8) I just wanted to see if '/' works... ;D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Pumaman

QuoteOne thing though: when you start betas for the next point release, would it be possible to get the new plugin event that triggers once per frame before all the frames are set up you mentioned a while back?

I'll see if I can slip something like that in ;)

Quote from: bicilotti on Wed 26/03/2008 21:23:46
I'm posting to report what it seems a little glitch.

In my code I have:

Code: ags
while (warner != '"')

When updating to 3.1.0 I got this error:

* Error (line 411): incorrectly terminated character constant

Thanks, this seems to be a bug in the new preprocessor in 3.0.1. I'll get it fixed.

QuoteCJ, I'm dreadfully sorry, please replace the Default Game with the following:

Rui, would you mind making your fix based on the Default Game template included in AGS 3.0? I modified the global script to clean up the comments and make them readable at lower screen resolutions, so if you could start a New Game and then make your fix (or just let me know what it was and I'll do it) that'd be appreciated.

Pumaman

Arg, sorry about this -- I know I said RC 1 would be the last to have new features, but I finally had the time to make some room editor changes that I'd wanted to do for ages (zooming, mask transparency and walk-behind baselines) so I've stuck it into RC 2.

Please let me know whether you have any problems with the editor being slow with the transparency enabled -- last time I tried it caused a real problem but this time it doesn't seem too bad.

Snarky

Quote from: Pumaman on Fri 28/03/2008 00:10:07
Arg, sorry about this

No, I'm not sure I can forgive you for adding cool and often-requested new features to this release.  >:( Tsk, tsk, tsk.

movti

Woah, nice!
I really like how the room editor turned out.. Well done!

If you want to make it even more awesome: While zoomed in it would be very comfortable to able to scroll up and down with the mouse wheel as well as using the space bar for panning, just like you do in photoshop. I instantly wanted to do that by habit.

Glad this has made it into 3.0.1!

Ghost

Quote from: Pumaman on Fri 28/03/2008 00:10:07
...I finally had the time to make some room editor changes that I'd wanted to do for ages (zooming, mask transparency and walk-behind baselines) so I've stuck it into RC 2.

Awesome! You, sir, be rockin'!

I tried it out, an no speed issues at all on a rather medium/low-end PC:
AMD Celeron 1.6 GHz
512 MB RAM
nVidea GForce 6100 onBoard

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Looking good!  Hopefully an ellipsoid tool and/or non-blocked dialogs can make it in by final release, but if not, much has still been achieved!

Nice work.

GarageGothic

I was hoping for a second that DynamicSprite.CreateFromDrawing(DrawingSurface*, int x, int y, int width, int height) had made it in. But this:

Quote* Added zooming and mask transparency to the room areas editorSurface.

Is pretty damn cool too. I love that there's a slider to change the transparency, and I don't experience any slowdown on my 5+ year old computer (2.4 GHz P4, GeForce4 Ti4200, 1GB RAM). I think it would be a benefit though, if the zoomed viewport could be scrolled with the arrow keys. Currently they change the zoom level, and I understand that this is standard behaviour for a selected slider so perhaps it cannot be altered. But it would feel more intuitive if arrows scrolled the room window (also for rooms larger than the viewport) while PgUp/PgDn and mouse scroll wheel controlled the zoom level.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I second the mouse wheel for zoom and arrows keys to move the window; it's fairly standard in paint programs and would be awesome!

Lt. Smash

I found a little display problem in the zoom function: when I change to view objects they are drawn a bit off and stretched/squeezed.

Ghost

CJ, it seems that RC2 re-introduces the walk-to glitch I reported earlier, but less frequently, so maybe it's me messing up the walkable areas... but I found that, at at least three times, my character (again) starts to move into quite unpredictable directions when clicking close to an edge of the room.

subspark

Mouse placeable Hotspot/Object Walk-To-Points would go well with the re-introduced draggable baseline function. Fantastic!

I also think 'project size' in terms of mega bytes would be a convenient appearance in the game statistics window somewhere.

Cheers,
Paul.

naltimari

Well, I guess it's a little late to bring this up, but I wonder why Direct3D was even considered for a new rendering engine, instead of OpenGL 2.0 which is multiplatform. Does it have anything to do with Allegro?

Pumaman

QuoteIf you want to make it even more awesome: While zoomed in it would be very comfortable to able to scroll up and down with the mouse wheel as well as using the space bar for panning, just like you do in photoshop. I instantly wanted to do that by habit.
QuoteI think it would be a benefit though, if the zoomed viewport could be scrolled with the arrow keys

Hehe, the problem with this sort of thing is everyone has different ideas on what the shortcut keys should be. But I agree that there should be some properly defined keys to pan around the editor window.

QuoteI found a little display problem in the zoom function: when I change to view objects they are drawn a bit off and stretched/squeezed.

I can't replicate this -- could you provide a screenshot that demonstrates the problem? Also, what resolution is your room where this happens?

QuoteCJ, it seems that RC2 re-introduces the walk-to glitch I reported earlier, but less frequently, so maybe it's me messing up the walkable areas... but I found that, at at least three times, my character (again) starts to move into quite unpredictable directions when clicking close to an edge of the room.

Hmm, I haven't changed the pathfinding code in recent builds. Would you be able to provide a room or test game that demonstrates the problem?

QuoteMouse placeable Hotspot/Object Walk-To-Points would go well with the re-introduced draggable baseline function.

Good point, I'll consider this for 3.0.2.

QuoteWell, I guess it's a little late to bring this up, but I wonder why Direct3D was even considered for a new rendering engine, instead of OpenGL 2.0 which is multiplatform. Does it have anything to do with Allegro?

It's simply that I was already familiar with the D3D API, therefore it was easier for me to use it than to learn a new API that OpenGL has. However, the refactoring work that has been done to the engine means that it would be relatively simpler to add an OpenGL driver in future, if required.

TheMagician

From CJ
QuoteHehe, the problem with this sort of thing is everyone has different ideas on what the shortcut keys should be

I agree. But at least Movti's suggestion to pan the viewport by pressing the spacebar and draging the mouse is a common image editing shortcut. And if you use that you hardly need anything else because it is very fast to navigate the picture that way.

Ghost

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 01/04/2008 23:44:40
Hmm, I haven't changed the pathfinding code in recent builds. Would you be able to provide a room or test game that demonstrates the problem?

False alarm. I have missed a very small but complete "line gap" in the walkable area. After correcting it, everything was smooth and well- sorry!

Lt. Smash

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 01/04/2008 23:44:40
QuoteI found a little display problem in the zoom function: when I change to view objects they are drawn a bit off and stretched/squeezed.

I can't replicate this -- could you provide a screenshot that demonstrates the problem? Also, what resolution is your room where this happens?

here:

the above picture is a screenshot of using the zoom tool.
Note the red marked regions, there you can easily see squeezed pixels.
The other picture is how it should like.
Ignore the black line.
The room is 320x200.
The problem occours with objects and a zoom level higher than 2x.

[edit]
I found out that I had these pixels transparent.
Then the problem should be that the whole object moves one pixel (of the displays resolution) down or up(?) when using zooms higher than 2x.

SSH

I really can't see what you mean, myself. Perhaps you can try explaining again?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk