AGS AWARDS 2008 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Started by Pumaman, Fri 02/01/2009 21:43:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Quote from: LimpingFish on Mon 19/01/2009 19:59:24
There was a recent thread concerning that very idea, but nothing much came of it (and floods of people weren't exactly scrambling share the workload, anyway :P ). To be fair to everybody involved with the awards, particularly SSH, these things don't run themselves and there's only so much free time that can be devoted to such.

It wouldn't need to be anything too extravagant.  Just a bit of big bold text, a link, an accompanying image (doesn't have to be anything new, just reuse the logo that's already on the awards page).

LimpingFish

Le Woltaire: But this basically says to me, because these awards have no cache outside the immediate community, that beyond their lighthearted worth, they are by and large valueless. That makes me sad. I think improving the awards within the community would be a step towards validating them in the wider gaming world. But let's face it, the man on the street wouldn't recognize 99% of the awards various organizations give out, regardless of the area of expertise they are awarded in. This doesn't reduce their validity.

And if they are, as you say, primarily for the benefit of the community, then a community jury or committee makes even more sense. As it stands, the awards play out more like the public vote systems of those TV talent shows.

And I kissed goodbye to the last remaining time of my youth some hazy summers ago. ;) 

Quote from: SSH on Mon 19/01/2009 21:09:40
Well, I can see the IP address, username and votes of everybody who has voted...

Which only let's us verify that each set of votes is unique, thus only preventing a certain type of abuse. I'm not claiming that it's possible to address other types of abuse that may take place, or if there even is a need to, just that we might consider reducing the possibility, to avoid any rumblings from disappointed parties (that may or may not arise).

Look, this isn't me being snippy about who wins what (I was too lazy to even release a game last year), I just think that the current system is tired and under-appreciated, and that the awards might benefit from a change.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I really, really think people need to take the awards much less seriously.  I think we should all follow Grundislav's example: a very humble, surprised if he wins/isn't bothered if he doesn't approach, which is exactly how I go about it.  I don't care who nominates what for what or who wins as long as the voting is conducted in a fair and just manner, and aside from SSH's tendency to be a bit overzealous with his approach I have no doubt he tabulates all the votes honestly.

The awards have always been just a bit of fun to congratulate authors we feel made games that entertained us.  I think we should keep things simple and fun, without stress or feelings of inferiority/superiority or fingerpointing or 'this needs to be fixed because this game DESERVES more'.

We really don't need any of that.  Just relax!

Le Woltaire

Yeah, that's right, ProgZmax.

Also what Goldmund said about Werner Herzog: "Awards are for dogs and horses." fits very well.

By the way, it's Grundislav's birthday today, not sure if someone noticed this...

SSH

Indeed, Progz is right (overzealous at what?) but I also don't see how the other possibilities for the vote would make it more valid or more respected outside AGS or anything...

LimpingFish

You goddamn tree-hugging hippy scum! Here I am trying to make the whole thing more elitist and you undermine me with all your touchy-feely crap! You people deserve everything you get!

When we're overun by "w00ts" and "dudes!" you'll appreciate my iron fist of totalitarian rule! You will! Obama won't look so sweet then, will he? No!

Oh, screw the whole thing. I'm calling Dial-a-Hooker.

Ponch

Quote from: SSH on Mon 19/01/2009 21:09:40
Well, I can see the IP address, username and votes of everybody who has voted...

Ah! My privacy!

Personally, I like the AGS nominations the way they are -- for and by AGSers. I'm not sure bringing in "the outside world" would be a good idea. And the new voting page was a great improvement over old way.

As far as the awards go, they serve as a nice center for this community. Every year, the nominations are announced, and we have the very conversation we're having now ;)

And on the plus side, it makes me get off my butt and try some of the games I missed that I'm going to have to vote on shortly. (Luckily, none of my own games have ever made the grade, so that saves me a little time ;) )

Personally, I'm not for making big changes to the way we've been doing this. I like it just the way it is and it seems to work well enough. Sure, every now and then, a game steamrolls all the others. But that happens with other, lesser awards like the BAFTAs and the Oscars, right? When that happens, just shrug it off. We have to set a good example for Hollywood, after all. They look up to us (as well they should).

- Ponch

Le Woltaire

Quote from: LimpingFish on Mon 19/01/2009 22:48:03
You goddamn tree-hugging hippy scum! Here I am trying to make the whole thing more elitist and you undermine me with all your touchy-feely crap! You people deserve everything you get!

When we're overun by "w00ts" and "dudes!" you'll appreciate my iron fist of totalitarian rule! You will! Obama won't look so sweet then, will he? No!

Oh, screw the whole thing. I'm calling Dial-a-Hooker.

Since you're Irish you should appreciate the words of James Joyce who writes in one of my favourite books, Finnegans Wake: "Thingcrooklyexineverypasturesixdixlikencehimaroundhersthemaggerbykinkinkankanwithdownmindlookingated"

And this represents my true opinion about all this...

LimpingFish

Don't mind me. I have a habit of failing to see the forest for the trees. And of talking myself into a corner.

Fish adjusts the "Days without Foot entering Mouth" counter to "0"...

Hooray.

SSH

I've instituted a "most cheated" poll for the nominations over on my blog in case you wish to vent your frustrations there. Winner will be made the next Pick of the Month unless they've already been it.

Radiant

Well, if the way the AGS awards go bothers people, I can always set up BHT awards :D

Snarky

Maybe worth reminding people that this is the last day of voting. 15 hours left to submit your votes according to the clock on the page.

I myself still need to finish a couple of games before I know who to vote for in each category.

Pumaman

Voting is now closed!

Thanks to everyone who voted, and to SSH for organising everything!

Ultra Magnus

I didn't manage to play through all the nominees in time to vote. ::)

Oh well, maybe next year, eh?
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.

I'm tired of pretending I'm not bitchin', a total frickin' rock star from Mars.

Dualnames

Good, good, now off to tell us who got what...
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SSH

Thanks to all who voted. Ceremony is well in production, but I'm still awaiting stuff from a few people...

Ghost

Quote from: SSH on Sun 08/02/2009 19:20:48
...but I'm still awaiting stuff from a few people...

My stuff'd be in your letterbox.   ;)

Thanks in advance for making this possible in the first place, SSH. It's really something to look forward to, and I loved last year's witty ceremony! Making a true "show" was a stroke of genius, and I hope this'll become a tradition.

SSH

*cough*

CJ/mod, can you update the front page withthe ceremony link, please?

Peder 🚀

Vince Twelve

Haha.  That was the bees knees, SSH!  Really well done!  Best AGS Award Ceremony this year!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk