AGS Kart

Started by SinSin, Sun 22/04/2012 21:33:22

Previous topic - Next topic

SinSin

Quiet here... Right we need to get this moving so lets get organised, (he says )
We need some Ideas towards Title screens and character selction screens etc. anyone fancy having a go... Once we get some backgrounds done we can GIP this thing    :-D

AGS Kart    Go GO GO !!
Currently working on a project!

Icey

I can do the title screen and the character selection screen.

So we know yet any of the base players for the game? it would be sorta cool if I could draw them together for the title screen.

Hudders

I'm not sure that the graphics are the first thing to be thinking about. It's great that there's so much enthusiasm, but before we do anything else I think there's more scripting to be done.

I suggest we start with the minimum amount of graphics to begin with and then we can expand later. I think there's a danger of having eyes bigger than our bellies with some of this so keep it simple: one track, maybe a couple of characters. We began SWARMAGS with a style guide so that everybody's work was consistent, maybe we need something like that here?

Here's a brief list of jobs I think need doing. I've missed plenty out and got some stuff wrong, I know I have. This list isn't definitive, it's a starting point:

Scripting
- Track borders
- Starting conditions, (e.g. 3... 2... 1... GO!)
- Finish line / finish conditions

Graphics
- Style guide
- Character art
--- Sprites
--- Character-select portraits
- Backgrounds
--- Tracks
--- Character select screen
--- Track select screen
--- Leaderboard

GUI
- Timer
- Position numbers
- Map (?)
- Character select
- Speed indicator (?)

Audio
- Music
- Sound effects

Icey

And the size of the game? surely nothing to big, maybe 640 x400? I think it fits all monitors plus the bigger the game the bigger the tracks, characters, and overall work.

DoorKnobHandle

The resolution is going to have a HUGE impact on performance, I wouldn't go over 320x200 in order to keep framerates as high as possible for good input feedback (which is incredibly important in any decent racing game). I haven't tried the tech demos out yet, if you can get a minimum of 60fps in something larger than 320x200, then go for that. But with more objects and all, it will slow down even more in the end, keep that in mind! :)

And I still believe the biggest thing that this project is missing at the moment is a design document! How is the game going to be played? Controls? What gameplay mechanics are there?

Icey

Maybe the arrow keys to move. X for power item and Z for brakes. And for some fun why not make space bar a Picture taking button. It would be pretty sweet to post some awesome shots on the forums.

I wonder, if enough AGS games made with a online feature will make AGS make a separate forum for just Online games...

DoorKnobHandle

I think joypad/stick support is going to be a must, too. And with the amazing joypad plugin, it's extremely easy to do in AGS!

Snake

Joystick support is DEFINITELY a must. It's no fun playing a karting game with the keyboard :-\
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Icey

At a option for key board cause someone might not have a Joystick or be near one at the moment. I'm not complaining cause I already got one. I'm just thinking for the better of the games future.

Snake

Quote from: Insane-Icey on Sat 28/04/2012 02:03:24
At a option for key board cause someone might not have a Joystick or be near one at the moment. I'm not complaining cause I already got one. I'm just thinking for the better of the games future.
Come again? At a option for key board? What?

Let me clarify: Joystick support ALONG SIDE keyboard control will be a must for people who prefer to use a fucking joystick/gamepad as opposed to being forced to use the keyboard... unless the user can define their own key configuration... but in any case, I've said this too many times already in such a short amount of posts (2), having joystick SUPPORT would be a good god-damn splendid idea.

Icey

Opps I men't at least.

But I think the joystic idea is great too.

Icey

Wait what would happen if a racer get's disconnected from the game like if He/She exits or something, what happens to the race? does the racer just vanish and the race goes on? But what about some of the things going on while the race is going? Could this they be effected and screwed up during the race or at the end?

Peder 🚀

Icey, why all the double posting?

I think both key mapping should be available so anyone can set up the keys to what they prefer and Joystick SUPPORT is a good idea!
About networking Icey I don't think that is the first priority to figure out for this game!

I'd also like to see a design document a bit more detailed and a list of jobs that needs to be assigned to people.
Then like so many others have mentioned we should really continue with the physics before starting with the graphics etc!

Snake

QuoteIcey, why all the double posting?
I'm usually wrong about everything I think I know something about, but I'll carry on with my ignorance and say, "Because...
a.) ...he honestly forgot he was the last person who had posted and also didn't see that he was."
b.) ...he's posting from his phone and for some reason he couldn't log in to edit."
c.) ...he thought that nobody would see his edit and miss what he wrote (I've been guilty of this in the past, but only because I'm a narcissistic ass) and so decided to bump the thread to ensure he is being heard."
d.) ...he didn't think before posting."
e.) ...of some other reason I can't think of at the moment."
f.) All of the above!

Before continuing, let me clarify even further that keyboard controls is a STAPLE in computer gaming and OF COURSE will be the DEFAULT control. I'm saying joystick SUPPORT should be a must.

Champagne-on-Ice, we probably won't know what happens when a player gets disconnected/quits while there is a race in session until we get to this point. With Mario Kart Wii, if somebody gets disconnected, or they quit, what happens is that the race will abruptly end or the player who quit/disconnected disappears and the race continues without them.

I agree with Peder about physics being first priority. Let's get the control/feel/gameplay down first before worrying about the graphics...even though graphics are awful fun to produce ;)
But on the other hand, since this is a swarm, we COULD work on graphics without affecting the progress on scripting. Holy shit, I'm FULL of branching points tonight! I should be writing a CYOA! Pfft (as Al_Ninio would say to me), I wouldn't get THAT done either! HAR!

Icey

My bad for some reason I just couldn't edit my post but anyhow. Maybe we could have the game check to see if the racers are actually still in the game. Now if one of them leaves we can have the game quickly disconnect them even to stop it from messing up the game. Now all we would need to do next is to construct a way to boot the racer from the race with out having to just end the race.

DoorKnobHandle

Don't worry about what freaking happens when someone disconnects, that's the thing that is going to give whoever codes this by far THE LEAST amount of problems - compared to, you know, implementing the actual multiplayer. Unless an experienced netcoder (such as Wyz, from what I know) does this I really don't think multiplayer is realistic anyways. I wouldn't focus on it either way. Keep it simple, make it a fun singleplayer tournament-style racer for the moment!

Peder 🚀

Quote from: dkh on Sun 29/04/2012 10:17:52
Keep it simple, make it a fun singleplayer tournament-style racer for the moment!

With an online highscore/time trial table! :P. (That should hopefully keep Icey quiet about multiplayer for a while?!)
(This should be fairly easy even for me).

Dualnames

I'm not sure if it's mentioned at some of the in between pages 2-4 but since it has been a question on page 1, I dare tell you that if you look for it, very recently someone made a mode 7 thingie and posted the code as well. All you have to do is look.

Hint: SteveMcCrea (Kweepa)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SinSin

Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 29/04/2012 13:45:30
I'm not sure if it's mentioned at some of the in between pages 2-4 but since it has been a question on page 1, I dare tell you that if you look for it, very recently someone made a mode 7 thingie and posted the code as well. All you have to do is look.

Hint: SteveMcCrea (Kweepa)
Yes true, the link for the download is near the start of the thread.
Currently working on a project!

DoorKnobHandle

So what we need the most is for some capable coder with enough time to step forward and take on Kweepa's latest source and refine it. Improve driving physics, load an actual track graphic and so on.

I'd really like to see this get made!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk