What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears that shops keep trying to shill Christmas decor even before Halloween has ended, in some cases even before it's started!

Snarky

That Elon Musk owns Twitter.

'Cause yeah, I actually enjoy Twitter. I keep my feed pretty well curated (and set to newest) with comedians, artists and sensible people, so my Twitter experience is more whimsy than doomscrolling or all the other things people dislike about the bird app.

But with the changes Musk has indicated he's making to loosen the already lax rules against hate speech, and just the whole platform being beholden to the caprice of the richest man in the world, I don't think I can in good conscience keep using it.

Snarky

It really grinds my gears when people use the archaic "-eth" verb ending humorously without any regard for (or, more likely, awareness of) grammar. I just came across "Fucketh thee around, findeth thee out."  >:(

cat

Sounds like my 2 year old who just started to add "-et" to verbs to make them past tense (not how it works in German). For present tense she adds "sein" to verbs or nouns ("being" in English, so she makes sentences like "car being", "eat being"). Which, of course, is super cute in that age, and totally not gear grinding.

Maybe you should just imagine those "-eth" sayers being 2 years old and pat their heads?

heltenjon

In the Steven Brust novel To Reign in Hell, one of the characters talks in old English the entire novel, just to be able to deliver a hilarious line far into the book.

Spoiler
In order to protect Satan, he says "Get Thee behind me, Satan!"
[close]

cat

@heltenjon I know jokes don't get better if you explain them, but please help me out with that so I can learn something.

heltenjon

Quote from: cat on Thu 03/11/2022 12:02:27@heltenjon I know jokes don't get better if you explain them, but please help me out with that so I can learn something.
Explanation in spoiler tags:
Spoiler
Basically, it's a famous quote from the King James Bible translation. The King James Bible is written in a sort of "high speak", old English. It's what Jesus says to the Devil when tempted, and also what he says to St. Peter when Peter suggests taking an easy way out. In Norwegian it's translated into something like "Go away from me, Satan." Perhaps the German translation is more in tone with the Norwegian one?

In the book, it's used in the opposite way, the dog (hell hound) who says it, wants to shield Satan from oncoming harm, if I recall correctly.

You could compare it with if someone in a modern German work talked like they were from a different century throughout a long story just to be able to deliver a famous quote from Goethe in a setting where that would be the normal thing to say.
[close]

Khris

Youtube has been making subtle changes to its UI since forever but the latest one is just jaw-dropping.
The info box below the uploader's name will say "3 years ago" for a video that came out 3 years and 364 days ago. This is truly some next-level math. I get what they're trying to do there but that's a pretty spectacular fail.

Danvzare

Quote from: Khris on Thu 03/11/2022 16:18:00Youtube has been making subtle changes to its UI since forever but the latest one is just jaw-dropping.
The info box below the uploader's name will say "3 years ago" for a video that came out 3 years and 364 days ago. This is truly some next-level math. I get what they're trying to do there but that's a pretty spectacular fail.
To add to this, it grinds my gears how Youtube has gradually been making their entire website worse over a very long period of time.

I still miss when nested replies could have their own nested replies.  :~(

Stupot

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 02/11/2022 08:52:06It really grinds my gears when people use the archaic "-eth" verb ending humorously without any regard for (or, more likely, awareness of) grammar. I just came across "Fucketh thee around, findeth thee out."  >:(
I'm not a fan of this either. Nor when people just decide to put "doth" in their otherwise completely normal speech for literally no reason.

TheFrighter

What grinds my gears are the limited/mini series (comic books or anime) that ends with a cliffanger!

I understand that every artist would like that his first season could be renewed, but for the readers/audience is a low blow!

_

Danvzare

What grinds my gears is deviantArt.

I've been using the site almost exclusively to put my comics onto for the past decade, but boy do they make some infuriating business decisions.  >:(

TheFrighter

What business decisions, Danvzare?

_

Danvzare

Quote from: TheFrighter on Mon 14/11/2022 16:58:26What business decisions, Danvzare?

_

Well to name a few, changing the logo to one that wouldn't be out of place for a railway company, changing the UI to one that was broken and unfinished (it's a lot better now at least), removing the category system, removing the search functionality for the favourites folder, and most recently the whole AI generated art debacle that's recently erupted.

With each controversial thing they do, the whole site seems to suddenly become less active, and it now feels like a ghost of its former self. At least in the circles I move.

EDIT:
To add to this, the search function is now almost completely useless. You can no longer search for more than one tag unless you're logged in. And even when you do, it shows you completely unrelated results. Look up "Emoticon+Baseball", and enjoy the 8000 results that are neither emoticons nor include baseball. There used to be a time when every result was an Emoticon doing some sort of sport.  (wrong)

And to further add to this, they've recently added a feature where your pictures will without informing you, be rated mature, and only be visible to those who are logged in. Except, it isn't affected by your setting to not show mature pictures.
8 of my comics have been affected by this (down from 19, which I managed to fix by butchering the tags).  >:(

So basically no one can search for my comics anymore, and even if they could, it's starting to look like they won't be able to read them either, since my latest two have been rated mature for no apparent reason.  >:(

Mandle

the amount of grown adult people who think that the story of the song is that the kid's mom was really kissing Santa Claus is just astounding.

and if you say "The song is through the eyes of a child who doesn't know that it was his dad dressed up as Santa Claus." they'll say "Where does it SAY THAT in the song?!"

Of course they aren't gonna SAY that directly in the song because little kids will also be listening to it. It's a wink-wink thing for the adults to have a chuckle about because they should be able to imagine what the real situation is.

lol I'm getting so worked up over people not understanding a Christmas song.

But at least I'm still surviving Whamageddon, fingers crossed.

cat

What song is this about?

heltenjon

Although, he's probably talking about the English version.  (laugh)

The song he's referring to, starts at 1:21

cat

Haha, I didn't know the song before, but it is really cute (the interpretation in the video is hard to bear, though), clearly from the view point of a child. Hilarious to think that some adults don't get it, even if you tell them.

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 05/12/2022 21:39:32the amount of grown adult people who think that the story of the song is that the kid's mom was really kissing Santa Claus is just astounding.
Wait... there are seriously people out there that don't realize it's the dad dressed as Santa Claus!  8-0
Holy crap! I want to be that innocent and naive!  :-D

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 05/12/2022 21:39:32But at least I'm still surviving Whamageddon, fingers crossed.
Same here. I've yet to hear it this December, thank goodness. But I know it's lurking just around the corner... especially since both of my parents absolutely adore that song.  :-X

Cassiebsg

Maybe they believe in Santa Claus?  ;)

About "Whamageddon", no such luck. My son goes around singing it... but I like it, so no problem for me.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk