What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Something that drives me up the wall is when people don't properly pluralize family names that end with -S, like Jennings or Jones.

I remember reading reviews of The Americans that kept talking about the Jennings family with "the Jennings do this, the Jennings do that." It's "the Jenningses"! You pluralize it just like (almost) any other noun ending in -S: kisses, gases, addresses...

What makes it so exasperating is that the correct pattern is demonstrated in the familiar expression "keeping up with the Joneses" (which also gave name to the Sierra game Jones in the Fast Lane).

Frodo

Ebay buyers have been driving me up the wall recently.  :undecided:

I've recently sold 2 pieces of furniture - chests of drawers on ebay.  Being furniture, it's not very practical to post them. 

Both times, I clearly said on the ebay sale page  'collection from [my area], Edinburgh, Scotland.'

Both times, the person who won, has changed their mind after they won it, because they live outside of Scotland, so it's too far to come to collect.

If you know something is 'collection from Edinburgh in Scotland', and you don't live nearby thus you don't intend to come and collect, why even bid for it in the first place?

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Cassiebsg

Wait, if they bid and won, shouldn't they be bound to pay for it? You clearly marked it as "collect and where it's located". It's to the buyer to figure it out how to get his "new stuff", not your problem.
Seems to me like the problem is ebay it self.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Frodo

The buyers SHOULD be bound to pay. But so far, both of them say they won't pay since they're not coming for their respective drawers. 

'Hey, there's this thing on ebay that I want.  It's located over 100 miles away, but I'll bid for it anyway.  If I win, I'll just inconvenience the seller by refusing to pay and refusing to collect it.'

:undecided:

Frodo

What grinds my gears...

When I leave work early so I can get to the bus shop and renew my bus pass before it closes for the day... get 2 buses to said bus shop instead of 1 bus straight home... only to find that the bus shop has closed early today with no indicarion why.   :angry:

Danvzare

Quote from: Frodo on Wed 08/02/2023 17:22:32What grinds my gears...

When I leave work early so I can get to the bus shop and renew my bus pass before it closes for the day... get 2 buses to said bus shop instead of 1 bus straight home... only to find that the bus shop has closed early today with no indicarion why.  :angry:

On a related note, it grinds my gears when your bus just doesn't show up, with no indication as to why.
Did it show up ten minutes early and you simply missed it? Did it break down? Has the timetable been changed but nothing has been updated to show it?
Who knows.  :confused:
Whatever the case, you now have to wait a full hour for the next bus.  :~(

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 16/02/2023 16:39:39
Quote from: Frodo on Wed 08/02/2023 17:22:32What grinds my gears...

When I leave work early so I can get to the bus shop and renew my bus pass before it closes for the day... get 2 buses to said bus shop instead of 1 bus straight home... only to find that the bus shop has closed early today with no indicarion why.  :angry:

On a related note, it grinds my gears when your bus just doesn't show up, with no indication as to why.
Did it show up ten minutes early and you simply missed it? Did it break down? Has the timetable been changed but nothing has been updated to show it?
Who knows.  :confused:
Whatever the case, you now have to wait a full hour for the next bus.  :~(
I recently missed a bus because it arrived early, then departed right before my face as I was running to the stop, despite that I was there before it was supposed to leave, forcing me to wait 30 minutes.  :~(

Anyways, the reason I haven't been able to keep up with the AGS community much lately is that some time ago, I finally landed a job, data a daycare, and it not only grinds my gears but I've come to actively despise parents who bring sick kids to schools and daycare.

The last few months have been a circus of either struggling with whatever viruses they're bringing us myself or having to be overstressed and overworked because someone else on the staff is home  sick, and just today, a child started puking all over the place and their parents took TWO HOURS before bothering to pick up and bring home their spawn.

Seriously, we've had a pandemic that was not just within my lifetime, but recent enough to be within the kindergartener's lifetimes, would it really be that weird to demand some kind of penalty for bringing clearly sick or coughing kids to daycare?

Also, we seriously should normalize putting these on coughing toddlers as a society:
Spoiler
[close]

milkanannan

David Wolfe and his pseudo nonsense grinds my gears. He's just posted a video on Twitter alleging a patient cured their cancerous tumour in minutes through positive thinking.  :sealed:

Danvzare

Quote from: milkanannan on Thu 09/03/2023 12:14:35David Wolfe and his pseudo nonsense grinds my gears. He's just posted a video on Twitter alleging a patient cured their cancerous tumour in minutes through positive thinking.  :sealed:
Imagine a world where to be healthy you had to be happy.

As soon as you got a little upset, it'd be a downward spiral into an early grave.  (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 09/03/2023 18:13:43
Quote from: milkanannan on Thu 09/03/2023 12:14:35David Wolfe and his pseudo nonsense grinds my gears. He's just posted a video on Twitter alleging a patient cured their cancerous tumour in minutes through positive thinking.  :sealed:
Imagine a world where to be healthy you had to be happy.

As soon as you got a little upset, it'd be a downward spiral into an early grave.  (laugh)
It all sounds similar to Belle Gibson; It's super easy to cure an illness through positive thinking when the illness itself was something you've made up to begin with.

And on a more serious note, these types of things just end up causing further harm to people being down because of their illness, because then they don't just have to deal with their illness itself, but also with being blamed for not being able to turn their pain into inspiration fodder and being positive enough.

Stupot

That David Wolfe has been putting out nonsense since the early days of Facebook. He's one of the pioneers of chucking out absolute bollocks that he probably doesn't even agree with just to get people to interact with it. Nowadays, that's just what everybody does. It's exhausting to scroll through the teams of absolute bollocks. Obviously staged pranks; magic tricks where you can clearly see what they did; deliberately bad parenting advice; deliberately disgusting food recipes, which invariably include some unhygienic element; deliberately terrible craft ideas, with obligatory disregard to taste as well as safety; and the purposefully melodramatic videos of people reacting to all of the above.

These are bad on purpose because they know more people will comment about how bad they are, and it's the number comments that matter to them, not a sense of pride in their own work.

I grind my own gears for allowing myself to see this shit.

Mouth for war

Wow I never thought this thread would have so much gear grinding. I imagined this would get a few replies maximum. Keep up being annoyed people 😁
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Cassiebsg

When an insurance company takes you car as hostage by insuring it when you already told them 3 times you don't want your insurance with them and have already signed up and payed another company... 2 months ago! And then it takes 5 weeks of you being the ping-pong ball, while the two companies bat at you from one side to the other... :/ And make you pay double insurance, cause you don't want to risk the police coming to take your plates or getting a fine from the fiscal gov... :/ Sigh... I *think* it's finally fixed (now waiting from them to return my money, which may take up to 10 days...) Really hope it'll return "on it's own" and that I don't have to waste more hours on the phone to get them to return it.

Danvzare

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 22/03/2023 21:35:23When an insurance company takes you car as hostage by insuring it when you already told them 3 times you don't want your insurance with them and have already signed up and payed another company... 2 months ago! And then it takes 5 weeks of you being the ping-pong ball, while the two companies bat at you from one side to the other... :/ And make you pay double insurance, cause you don't want to risk the police coming to take your plates or getting a fine from the fiscal gov... :/ Sigh... I *think* it's finally fixed (now waiting from them to return my money, which may take up to 10 days...) Really hope it'll return "on it's own" and that I don't have to waste more hours on the phone to get them to return it.
I've lost count of the number of times I've heard my dad complaining about the same thing.  (nod)

Snarky

My grocery store switched from carrying the brand of orange juice I like to another brand that I find undrinkably bitter, and I can't find any other store that sells it. 😭

milkanannan

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 30/03/2023 06:17:04My grocery store switched from carrying the brand of orange juice I like to another brand that I find undrinkably bitter, and I can't find any other store that sells it. 😭

That would also drive me bonkers. Orange juice is life.

Danvzare

It grinds my gears when someone touches the screen when pointing to something on it.

Cassiebsg

I've dropped orange juice a long time ago, they all (or most of anyway) taste undrinkable. Buy some oranges and make your own juice, best juice is the freshly squeezed one. ;)

Frodo

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 03/04/2023 17:32:26It grinds my gears when someone touches the screen when pointing to something on it.

What about licking the screen?  :kiss:

Khris

Every single use of the term "AI" lately. (roll)

I'm also slightly miffed about having to root for Mark Zuckerberg of all people, due to the upcoming cage match against the dumbest person alive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk