*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Imo it's Sean Connery's best role.
(second would be in The Man who would be King)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

Oh shit! Didn't notice I'd won this one! It was a shot in the dark.

Will post new image soon!

LimpingFish

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

LimpingFish

First person to correctly guess(!) the name of the movie below gets to post the next movie:

Gilbert

milkanannan

LimpingFish

Quote from: milkanannan on Sun 05/03/2023 11:15:58Blade Runner

It was an obscure one, alright, but you are correct!

Your turn.

Gilbert

I think that screenshot gave out the answer immediately, even though I've never watched the film.
That has to be the most iconic scene of the whole film, not an obscure one, right?

milkanannan

Quote from: LimpingFish on Mon 06/03/2023 00:03:37
Quote from: milkanannan on Sun 05/03/2023 11:15:58Blade Runner

It was an obscure one, alright, but you are correct!

Your turn.

I can't think of anything, so someone please take my turn!

Snarky

Well, it was a good try, LF, but I don't think people quite grasped what you were trying to do.

I will give it another shot, from the last movie I watched in the cinema:

(It is not a recent film—I was incensed when a colleague of mine called The Silence of the Lambs a "really, really old movie," and this is contemporary with that—but an arthouse film that has recently been restored/remastered and re-released.)

LimpingFish

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 09/03/2023 13:02:46Well, it was a good try, LF, but I don't think people quite grasped what you were trying to do.

Indeed. Best to just move on and pretend it never happened...but thanks for noticing. (nod)

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 09/03/2023 13:02:46(-I was incensed when a colleague of mine called The Silence of the Lambs a "really, really old movie-)

Silence of the Lambs isn't even old, it's just not current. A bit like me.

But "really, really, old"? I'd reserve that for a shot of a train pulling into La Ciotat station.

Snarky

Yeah, the perils of working with people younger than yourself. My counter-argument was "It stars Anthony Hopkins, and he's still a contemporary actor!"—though one could also say that about Clint Eastwood and Francis in the Navy (1955). (Well, not stars.)

I guess I would draw the line for "really old" between the Hollywood studio system era (Golden Age) and the New Hollywood that followed, so sometime in the 1960s. Films before that time generally feel dated in a way that e.g. The Godfather does not, and about this time you start getting movies by filmmakers that are still active today, as well as big franchises that are still running, such as James Bond and (a little later) Star Wars. "Really, really old" would have to be black and white or pre-war, if not silent.

Anyway...

As a tip, this actress had to be dubbed for half the movie.

TheFrighter

She looks like french actress Sophie Marceau...

_

LimpingFish

No, it's not Sophie Marceau, but you've given me an idea. I'm leaning towards a Krzysztof Kieslowski film...

Snarky

Quote from: TheFrighter on Sat 11/03/2023 08:40:03She looks like french actress

She is, though it's not Marceau. She is dubbed into Polish for the first half of the film.

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 12/03/2023 01:24:58I'm leaning towards a Krzysztof Kieslowski film...

You're not wrong. (And since it's not so fun for others to try to work it out after you've clearly got it and all but named it, I would suggest you just go ahead and say.)

LimpingFish

Aw, I left it a few days to see if anyone would get in ahead of me, but no...

Anyway, I think the answer is Three Colors: Red.

I say "think" because I've never seen any of the Three Colors films in their entirety, catching bits and pieces of them on TV over the years. But I recognize the lead actress, and I also know that the lead actresses in White and Blue are not her, because my brain has the annoying habit of storing random bits of information about random movies I may have glimpsed at random times throughout my life.

Which is why I kinda resent the IMDB...it's rendered my one "worthwhile" ability obsolete. :(

Snarky

Oh wow, shock twist! You're... wrong.

Sure enough, you have the right director and the right actress; she was in Three Colors: Red, but this is the first movie she did with Kieslowski.

milkanannan

Could we get another pic?

Snarky

I thought if people didn't get it from the pictures and info so far, they wouldn't get it at all, but in the interest of trying to kick this activity off again...

(If people still don't get it in a couple of days, I'll just give the answer and someone else can post something.)

Edit: All right, no takers, I guess. It was The Double Life of Véronique by Krzysztof Kieslowski, starring Irène Jacob.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk