What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

What grinds my gears is this endless summer heat and humidity here in Japan. What makes me able to be happy and ignore that today is that I just booked tickets for myself, Stupot, and two other mates to go see Jimmy Carr in Tokyo on January 29th of next year.

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 28/08/2023 14:32:52What grinds my gears is this endless summer heat and humidity here in Japan. What makes me able to be happy and ignore that today is that I just booked tickets for myself, Stupot, and two other mates to go see Jimmy Carr in Tokyo on January 29th of next year.

I have classes starting at 13:25 so I'm walking in the midday sun every day  :cry:

Cassiebsg

Just go there early, like 7AM then you don't need to walk in the midday sun...  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

Maybe I'm missing the point but a lot of these social media memes, both still ones and these "reels", have a caption that begins "POV". This is supposed to stand for "point of view" (as it always has). Only, these memes and video are not POV. They are just pictures or video of a person doing something.

If the point is that it's supposed be from my POV as the person looking at the images, then that means every single picture I've ever look at has been "POV".

POS, more like. 😠

Babar

Maybe the subject of the meme is just giving you their point of view?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Khris

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 06/09/2023 14:38:02Only, these memes and video are not POV.

That is... wow. I googled POV meme and one of the first results was "20 POV memes" from MemeHeist. And like not even half of them are even remotely POV in the physical sense, just in the "you know that feeling when" sense. Which is apparently what POV means now. (roll)

AndreasBlack

Photoshop CS6 unique Bug or if it's a setting i haven't been able to find it, unclear  ??? Where you want to move one layer, but for unknown reason it just jumps down in the layer list randomly to another layer that is not selected and starts moving that layer instead of the one you've selected at first. Only happens with the mouse, not with the keyboard so i can use the arrow keys, but it's a tedious process when you have 6000px wide rooms.  :~(  >:(

Gilbert

Quote from: AndreasBlack on Thu 07/09/2023 12:45:34Where you want to move one layer, but for unknown reason it just jumps down in the layer list randomly to another layer that is not selected and starts moving that layer instead of the one you've selected at first.
This happens to me a lot in Gimp. The reason is when using the mouse to move a layer, by default it'll pick the first layer that has an opaque pixel where you click, not the active layer. There is an option for the Move tool to change this behaviour to move the active instead (and I just checked, in Gimp you can also press and hold Shift to temporarily toggle to the other behaviour), so I think PS should have a similar setting.

Danvzare

This is less of a gear grinding thing, and more of a pet peeve.

There's been an influx of indie games with a retro 3D look, which I'm all for and I really like.
But they almost all insist or using nearest-neighbour for the texture filtering, with the argument that it both looks better and is more fitting with the retro aesthetic.

I suppose if you grew up with a PS1 or a Sega Saturn, then sure. But if you grew up with a N64, PC, or played a bunch of arcade games, then you'll probably have a preference for bilinear texture filtering. I grew up with a fairly powerful PC, so for me, I grew up with basically all of the options set to max (and typically played the games at a resolution of 1024x768, which technically counts as HD from a vertical pixel count).

Whether one looks better than the other is purely subjective. So at least give me a choice!
As an example I really like the low-res texture work on the System Shock Remake (it's not really going for the retro 3D look, but the textures are), but please give me a choice for bilinear texture filtering! Low-res textures with bilinear texture filtering look brilliant!  :~(

On a related note, there's those people who insist on strong scanline filters on anything going for a retro aesthetic. Like seriously... how bad were your monitors? Because I literally still have mine, and I assure you, if you look really closely you can barely see the scanlines. I'd call it more of a soft blur. (I never ran Windows at the maximum resolution of 1280x1024 because you couldn't read anything due to that blur.)

So yeah, my pet peeve is that people consider the cheap crap they used as kids, as being the one-true depiction of retro.
(And for the record, my family is dirt poor, it's just my dad was really into games and computers. He made up for the cost of the decent hardware through the use of Warez CDs.)
I can't imagine anyone trying to play Tomb Raider 2, Thief the Dark Project, or the original Rainbow Six, at something like 640x480, or worse... 320x200.

(And before the Windows PC, we had an Amiga, and even that had a decent monitor with basically no sign of scanlines. Seriously, how cheap were the screens that people were using?)

Tomags

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 18/09/2023 18:52:30There's been an influx of indie games with a retro 3D look, which I'm all for and I really like.
But they almost all insist or using nearest-neighbour for the texture filtering, with the argument that it both looks better and is more fitting with the retro aesthetic.

I suppose if you grew up with a PS1 or a Sega Saturn, then sure. But if you grew up with a N64, PC, or played a bunch of arcade games, then you'll probably have a preference for bilinear texture filtering. I grew up with a fairly powerful PC, so for me, I grew up with basically all of the options set to max (and typically played the games at a resolution of 1024x768, which technically counts as HD from a vertical pixel count).

Interesting! I didn't even know texture filtering was a thing.

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears when people in public transport in rush hour(trams, trains, subways) slowly hobble their way forward and just stand around in the middle of the isle rather than just go forward, take a seat if there is one, or else try to stand to the side so the other people can.

Seriously, the rush hour tube is NOT the place to stand around lazing about and blocking the way for stressed-out people who just want to get away from the sweaty crowd and get on with their way. And no, the majority of these sloths are NOT frail elderly, pregnant, or handicapped, but perfectly able-bodied young people who inexplicably think that it's fun roleplaying as a zombie where it's the most inconvenient.

Babar

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 25/09/2023 19:54:37It grinds my gears when people in public transport in rush hour(trams, trains, subways) slowly hobble their way forward and just stand around in the middle of the isle rather than just go forward, take a seat if there is one, or else try to stand to the side so the other people can.

Seriously, the rush hour tube is NOT the place to stand around lazing about and blocking the way for stressed-out people who just want to get away from the sweaty crowd and get on with their way. And no, the majority of these sloths are NOT frail elderly, pregnant, or handicapped, but perfectly able-bodied young people who inexplicably think that it's fun roleplaying as a zombie where it's the most inconvenient.
Your comment reminded me of lots of nagivation based gears to grind, one of which was what you described, but everywhere: People suddenly deciding to hold up other people's movement in the most inconvenient places: suddenly stopping in the middle of gates or doorways, for example, or standing in your way outside elevators while you're in them.

As an everywhere walker in a place that isn't kind to walkers, I have a whole host of other ground gears too, the one that bugs me most often is while I'm running, especially along an intersection (or somewhere a vehicle can come perpendicular to me), and seeing me going across their path already, instead of turning behind me, the motorbike or bicycle (or small car) speeds up so that it can try to make the gap in front of me instead.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Cassiebsg

@Babar.... "How dare you to cross the road when I'm coming? I'll show you and just speed up and cut in front of you." (instead of just lifting the foot of the gas and let the vehicle roll for a bit).

I know the feeling, even though I don't run, but experience that often while driving. :/
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

cat

I have the same the other way round. When I'm going with my bike and see people crossing the road, I want to pass behind them. But when they see me they suddenly stop so I have to navigate around them.

Snarky

As a pedestrian, I usually want to cross the road behind any traffic, but if you make the slightest gesture in that direction, cars will typically slow down (even if they could have safely passed before I got out into the road if they had just maintained speed), and therefore I have to elaborately pretend that I don't intend to cross the road while waiting for them to pass.

This is rarely an issue with bicyclists. (Which is reasonable enough, as they can usually swerve to avoid a crossing pedestrian.)

cat

To be fair, I think it's a nice thing when car drivers slow down and let you pass. On a pedestrian crossing, they even have to, by law. However, it's often hard to be sure whether they really slow down and let you cross. Some are clever enough and blink or make a gesture, others just slow down a bit and then look annoyed that I don't cross immediately.
When I'm at a crossing and do not want to cross (or wait for them to go first) I usually gesture to indicate that they should go first.

AndreasBlack

Quote from: cat on Wed 27/09/2023 09:59:03To be fair, I think it's a nice thing when car drivers slow down and let you pass. On a pedestrian crossing, they even have to, by law. However, it's often hard to be sure whether they really slow down and let you cross. Some are clever enough and blink or make a gesture, others just slow down a bit and then look annoyed that I don't cross immediately.
When I'm at a crossing and do not want to cross (or wait for them to go first) I usually gesture to indicate that they should go first.
What are the odds! I thought about that just a week ago, even said to a friend i've figured how to solve the situation. Walk over the street look at the driver angry, and they'll slowdown. That's all there is to it really! Worked so far, otherwise i'd wouldn't be here obviously, but i've been acting like you aswell before. Doing a gesture (go on then!) waving  (nod)

Snarky

Quote from: cat on Wed 27/09/2023 09:59:03To be fair, I think it's a nice thing when car drivers slow down and let you pass.

Yeah, but if I'm not right at the crossing, and would actually have to suddenly sprint towards it and across the road to have any hope of getting hit, while at my current pace (and its steady speed) I would easily pass behind the car without either of us slowing down, then it makes everything more awkward if they do slow down and stop.

Before, I could ignore the car: it would have gone safely past before I had to enter the roadway. Now I have to take it into account, make sure it really is stopping, perhaps increase my pace or jog across to be considerate of its time, maybe even give a sign of acknowledgment. Sometimes other cars are affected and change their behavior in ways I need to keep a watch on (e.g. in an intersection). It becomes a considerably more stressful situation.

So it's often preferable to feign complete disinterest in crossing the road and pretend that you're going in a different direction until the car has passed and you can cross at your leisure. In some cases I've actually walked past the crossing I wanted to use, only to double back once the car had gone by.

I would compare it to merging onto the highway: things flow better if the cars already on the highway don't slow down (unless clearly necessary to avoid an accident). And in terms of social dynamics it's like people who hold the door for you even when you're too far away.

I should perhaps also mention that I live in the city, on a block where most cars drive fairly slowly (more slowly than most bicyclists), and right next to a five-way intersection with no traffic lights, so I have to deal with this on a daily basis.

cat

Ah, I understand. I live next to the main road with lots of cars going in both directions. It's quite hard sometimes to find a moment where you can safely cross the road.

Danvzare

I'm in the unique position where I have both problems next to where I live. A very quiet road where people slow down for you sometimes when you could easily just pass behind them. And a crossroad a little further down, where trying to cross is like playing a game of Frogger.  (laugh)

Everyone in this town have been wanting traffic lights at that crossroads since forever.
And when they did put traffic lights down... they put them at a different crossroad where there were never any problems. And now no one waits to let you pass at that other crossroad thanks to those traffic lights, therefore making everything worse!  >:(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk