Most disappointing adventures

Started by SSH, Mon 26/05/2003 13:40:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezoid

Farlander, I've heard that Ron intended the ending to be ambiguous. It could mean either the whole thing was young Guybrush's imagination, or that it's just a curse in case a MI3 was made. I'm not sure how it could be added without Ron's agreement, he was the project leader and game production was very tight knitted back then...

Privateer Puddin'

and it was intended for MI but other talked him out of it

Dave Gilbert

I enjoyed Feeble Files a lot.  The voice acting was great, the storyline was pretty deep for a comedy game, it had a nice ending, and the graphics/animation were pretty good for the time.  I loved all the little touches that were put in - like when Feeble walks out of the administrative office and hops down the stairs with a big grin on his face (but first looks sheepishly left and right to see if anyone is watching).  The NPCs were fun - Sam the homicidle killer robot is one of my favorite characters in adventure gaming history.  

But I agree with the other comments - he walks SOOO SLOOWWW and some of the puzzles took me to levels beyond mere frustration.  The arcade game puzzles nearly had me giving up.  If it wasn't for a saved game I found online, I probably WOULD have given up.

As for a real disappointing game... has anyone played "The Ward?"  I played the demo and it looked pretty intriguing.  I purchased the game, and indeed it WAS kind of intriguing... for about 1/3 into the game.  Then it began making no sense at all.

Shattered Sponge

Quote from: SuperScottishHero on Tue 27/05/2003 18:15:49
I've realised that this is the only thread about adventure games in which Seasons of Sakura hasn't been mentioned....

aaarrrgh! too late  ::)
You act like it counts if someone other than DeeGee mentions it.

remixor

Quote from: Trapezoid on Tue 27/05/2003 18:23:36
Farlander, I've heard that Ron intended the ending to be ambiguous. It could mean either the whole thing was young Guybrush's imagination, or that it's just a curse in case a MI3 was made. I'm not sure how it could be added without Ron's agreement, he was the project leader and game production was very tight knitted back then...

Farl meant that certain specific parts  such as the ones he mentioned were added.  And it seems that Ron indeed did have a pretty specific meaning for MI2's ending.  He may have intended it to SEEM ambiguous to the players, but he definitely had something definite in mind, which he would have continued in the third game had he made it.
And, as custard says, MI2's ending was indeed intended for MI1 but the rest of the LA guys convinced him not to put it in.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Nacho

Trapezoid, I´ve had a discussion like this is a Spanish channel, and these are the conclussions:

MI saga is a very sensitive matter. For me, CMI is good, has allways been, but EMI results very odd for me in this franchise, so I finally started to "hate" it. I can understand that you want to save the integrity of the saga, there are two communities, the "purists" and the "mythomans", whose could be happy with any of the future games of the series.

But we´re in fact in the same ship, we all love Monkey Island series.

For me, MI3 is good because if Guybrush has imagined the two previous games, he can go on with his fantasy... but MI4 is too much for me.

but re-play the two first games imagining he´s in a theme park, and you´ll see how many things fit... sentences like Carla saying "I don´t want to become one more of the attractions of Melêe Island" "We´re actors and this world is a stage" "People talked like that in that century"...

The only points against the "theme park" theory are the rays in Chuckie´s eyes... and I´ve read severall time that Ron was not sure to include it...

BTW, to start a new discussion of which is the Secret is usefull... till Ron says which whas the secret he had in mind.

Anyway... I agree with you that the series are very special.  :)
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

DGMacphee

Quote from: Shattered Sponge on Tue 27/05/2003 21:14:06
Quote from: SuperScottishHero on Tue 27/05/2003 18:15:49
I've realised that this is the only thread about adventure games in which Seasons of Sakura hasn't been mentioned....

aaarrrgh! too late  ::)
You act like it counts if someone other than DeeGee mentions it.

* DGMacphee feels his head exploding!

Just because some people don't like lovey-dovey adventure games and I do...

Fine!

Go play "Space Quest CMIV: Roger Wilco's Colostomy Bag"!

See if I care!

BTW,  ;D ;D ;D
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

eVOLVE

GarageGothic, worse about GTA 3 was paying 500,000 for the girl, then shooting her as the credits came up :) I loved it though, totally amusing. Vice City had a good story imho.

As for disappointing adventures, I guess Syberia kind of disappointed me, but I hadn't paid a lot, and enjoyed all of the locations... shame the puzzles were crap/non existent.

As for EMI and CMI, I loved em both. I just enjoyed the continuation of the others. I remember when I finished MI2 for the first time, the only reason I disliked the ending was because I felt it screwed them up for a sequel and I wanted to play more :) Oh, and don't forget that great main theme.
James 'eVOLVE' Hamer-Morton

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk