AGS 2.56 Pre-final - Mittens edition

Started by Pumaman, Sun 15/06/2003 22:18:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Ok, RC1 is now out. This should fix the problem when you're not using anti-glide mode.

Alex Lowes

Alex Lowes

WoHouu!!it WORKS :)

now there will only be one problem to solve :)
but instead o whining I will celebrait.

Hail CJ ;)

RickJ

RC1 - Fata exception whil PC was walking behind, through an object.  

An exception 0x0000005 occured in
ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x00426B22;
program pointer is _22, ACI version

- Antiglide mode on
- Scale speed on
- No diagnoals
- Walkable area used continous scaling
- Walkable area allows PC to walk through object
- Crash occurs when PC walks through or on object.

Thats all I can think of now.  I'll zip what  have in case you need to reproduce the failure.

Synthetique

Wohoo! Erroneous! Good word.
Nice job CJ!

Pumaman

Quote from: RickJ on Sat 19/07/2003 05:41:39
RC1 - Fata exception whil PC was walking behind, through an object.  

- Antiglide mode on
- Scale speed on
- No diagnoals
- Walkable area used continous scaling
- Walkable area allows PC to walk through object
- Crash occurs when PC walks through or on object.

Thats all I can think of now.  I'll zip what  have in case you need to reproduce the failure.

I'd appreciate that zip, cheers.

Jimi

I love this. I especialy love the box that appears in the script editor. That is very helpful.

RickJ

CJ here is the zip of the game that crashes.  Just make EGO approach the upright bottle from behind.  If you hit it right you will get the crash.  You may have to try several times, I guess you need to hit the right spot or something.

www.icehouse.net/rickj/ags/es.zip  

Pumaman

Thanks for uploading that.

I tried over 20 times walking up to the bottle from behind, but it didn't crash. Is there any particular direction you have to walk from, or any particular game settings you have to use?

RickJ

It happened to me when walking from behind and maybe a few pixels from the right.  Is there possibly a "sweet spot" or something.  Like the character and object being  located in exactly the same pixel location?  Or perhaps it's a temporal thing where the problem only happens if the character hits a specific location during a specific paret of his animation or other engine operation.  Sorry, that's all I can tell you at this point.  I'll see if I can figure out what to do to reproduce the problem and let you know if I come up with something.  Sorry I'm not able to be more helpful as I know how frustrating it can be trying to solve these sorts of problems.

Pumaman

Hmm, I found a possible cause for the crash - could you try this updated engine:
http://www.agsforums.com/acwin.zip

If it still crashes, could you post the new error message - thanks.

edmundito

Is this a possible bug/glitch? I was playing Apprentice, which was released with one of the 2.56 betas, and I noticed every time a character animation other than the default ones (walk, idle, talking, etc) the "Anti-Aliased scaled sprites" option doesn't take effect and the animation plays quite pixely and stuff.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Pumaman

Perhaps they used an object for the animations, or drew the special character animations at the correct size and thus weren't scaled?

eVOLVE

Hey, I just had a quick test of the new engine and found what I believe to be a bug with the new version (at least it never happened with other versions). When going through a dialogue thing and you get it to 'run script' it'll go and run the script, then when it comes back it won't continue where it left off, but will return to giving you the dialogue choice. This means that since two of my dialogues have a run-script in the 'leave conversation' choice, it does the script, then returns back to the choice rather than continuing through and doing the 'stop' command.

Does that make sense?
James 'eVOLVE' Hamer-Morton

jannar85

Btw...
Error report:
When playing movies coded with the XVid codec, the movie flips when running it in AGS. Why not add FlipMovie() or something then? :O
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

edmundito

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 21/07/2003 19:23:59
Perhaps they used an object for the animations, or drew the special character animations at the correct size and thus weren't scaled?

They looked quite scaled to me. but I didn't make the game so I wouldn't know.

GEEZE, can't I just make your life a living hell?  :P
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

RickJ

CJ - I downloaded the new ACWIN and had a go last night.  I couldn't get it to crash again (so far).   Since I don't know how to reproduce the problem with any certainity, I can't be sure that there is no longer a problem.  I can only say that I can't seem to make it happen anymore.  Thanks :)

Gregjazz

Yup, in Apprentice we used objects for the special animations, and thus were not scaled.

The main reason for this is that our artist, who is a lazy bum, could correctly draw the interactions between the characters and the backgrounds. Also, it was less work drawing them at scale rather than full size. (wasting precious detail)

deltamatrix

I have a possible bug to report.

I have a situation where my character sits down and talks to someone.

the set talking view command won't work with dialogs but it did in normal script.
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

MachineElf

Uhm, I guess this would go with the next version, but wouldn't SetWhateverProperty() make sense as well?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk