AGS 2.56 Pre-final - Mittens edition

Started by Pumaman, Sun 15/06/2003 22:18:21

Previous topic - Next topic

InCreator

Okay, nice, but...
'Adjust Speed with Scaling' seems to be buggy.
I have a room where player character, when entering a room,  will automatically make a short walk "after fadein", to avoid standing behind walk-behind and confusing real player.

With scale-speed-adjusting turned on, he just happens to land to a non-walkable area.

Without it, evereything seems to be okay.
Is it a bug?

Klaus

There also seems to be something wrong with the room transition style "Cross-fade":

It only happens with the very first transition, when the game starts up. Not in fullscreen but in windowed mode it looks as if the transition doesn't support letterbox resolutions: At the bottom of the window the extended height (40/80 pixels) is not affected by the fading and stays a black box until the effect is over, then it finally switches to the first screen. All following transitions work fine.

Pumaman

Quote from: Riot on Tue 05/08/2003 01:24:00
GetViewportX() and the Y equalent seem broken. My gameplay was seriously messed up, so I set a label to display the Viewport continueously. It seemed to go up to 7, then all of a sudden, nothing, zip, nada. Not even a zero. Now, I think I have made a stupid mistake in the coding, but nevertheless, it just went blank while checking, and there's no SetViewport commands or anything that could affect it. Funky?

I can't find any problems with it myself.

Does it scroll around ok, but GetViewportX() doesn't seem to be working? If so, can you post the script you're using to print it out?

QuoteI have a room where player character, when entering a room, will automatically make a short walk "after fadein", to avoid standing behind walk-behind and confusing real player.

With scale-speed-adjusting turned on, he just happens to land to a non-walkable area.

I don't really understand what you mean, could you be more specific?

QuoteThere also seems to be something wrong with the room transition style "Cross-fade":

It only happens with the very first transition, when the game starts up. Not in fullscreen but in windowed mode it looks as if the transition doesn't support letterbox resolutions: At the bottom of the window the extended height (40/80 pixels) is not affected by the fading and stays a black box until the effect is over, then it finally switches to the first screen. All following transitions work fine.

Ah thanks, I'll get it fixed.

Riot

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 05/08/2003 19:49:13
Quote from: Riot on Tue 05/08/2003 01:24:00
GetViewportX() and the Y equalent seem broken. My gameplay was seriously messed up, so I set a label to display the Viewport continueously. It seemed to go up to 7, then all of a sudden, nothing, zip, nada. Not even a zero. Now, I think I have made a stupid mistake in the coding, but nevertheless, it just went blank while checking, and there's no SetViewport commands or anything that could affect it. Funky?

I can't find any problems with it myself.

Does it scroll around ok, but GetViewportX() doesn't seem to be working? If so, can you post the script you're using to print it out?

Well, I did make a stupid mistake in the coding, so the actual gameplay isn't affected in any way. What worries me is that I set it in he rep. exec. to always display the values of GetViewportX() and GetViewportY() (on a label) while sorting out the problem, and they seize to display when you've scrolled a bit. I'm working on the platform engine, so presume it is that that messes it up, but since it doesn't have any effect on gameplay (everything works) I presume there's no need to fiddle around with it anymore ;)

InCreator

Okay, I'll try to be more specific.

Player character starts in new room at the place where he is covered by walk-behind area
(he is behind it).

So, to avoid confusion "where am I?", I added a
little script, MoveCharacterBlocking, to make him walk
out from behind the corner, as soon as player enter room ("after fadein").

So what happens -- player enters this room and
his character steps out behind corner, then game gives control back to player. (A damn simple thing, but hard to explain)

When "Adjust Speed with Scaling" is turned on,
my character won't start the room at right co-ordinates, so there will be no walking. In matter fact,
he starts from a non-walkable area.
The command which sends him into the room is NewRoomEx (caused by stepping onto region in previous room), so i think speed-scaling manages to mess with this command. Just try it yourself.

And don't think that I'm a newbie and doing something wrong by myself. There IS a bug.

TheMagician

@ InCreator:

Are you sure to use the newest Beta-Version of AGS (RC2 prefinal edition)?

I had the same problem with "Beta 4" but Chris fixed it and now it works fine for me.

Goldmund

Hey, Chris, I hate to be a pain in the ass, but there's also this little glitch:
when you HideMouseCursor it still appears when a message is displayed - this doesn't look too good... any chance to have it fixed?

edit: message, not speech

Pumaman

Quote from: Riot on Tue 05/08/2003 20:50:09
What worries me is that I set it in he rep. exec. to always display the values of GetViewportX() and GetViewportY() (on a label) while sorting out the problem, and they seize to display when you've scrolled a bit.

That's odd - I assume you're using StrFormat and then SetLabelText to display the co-ordinates. They will always return something - so if the text disappears completely then you've probably turned off the GUI or done something odd when setting the label.

QuoteThe command which sends him into the room is NewRoomEx (caused by stepping onto region in previous room), so i think speed-scaling manages to mess with this command. Just try it yourself.

As TheMagician says, are you sure you're using the latest version? There was a bug like that which was fixed in RC1.

QuoteHey, Chris, I hate to be a pain in the ass, but there's also this little glitch:
when you HideMouseCursor it still appears when a message is displayed - this doesn't look too good... any chance to have it fixed?

No worries, I'll get it fixed.
:)

Erica McLane

* View 1 can`t be used for Idle, Thinking and Blinking views.
* The "No custom properties are defined" message box doesn`t look too good with the only word "editor." in the second line. Can you edit the message like this:
"No custom properties are defined.  You will now be taken to the custom property shema editor and you will have to make a custom properties." Or something similar to extend the message.
* When you click "Fullscreen preview" in the Room Editor one line in the place of the taskbar remains. (One gray line in the bottom part of the screen)

And finally one question - what happened to the Linux port of the editor? I can help.

Volcan

I'm not sure if it is a bug or not.

I cannot use F12 (taking a screenshot) when the player cannot be controled the ego (in intro for example).

Volcan aka Robin Gravel, Serguei, Serguei2 and Naturette in other boards.

Gilbert

Quote from: Volcan on Thu 07/08/2003 23:01:50
I cannot use F12 (taking a screenshot) when the player cannot be controled the ego (in intro for example).

That's because Onkeypressed() wont be executed when the game is in "wait" mode, you may need to tweak the script a bit.

Volcan

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Fri 08/08/2003 02:30:24
Quote from: Volcan on Thu 07/08/2003 23:01:50

That's because Onkeypressed() wont be executed when the game is in "wait" mode, you may need to tweak the script a bit.

Okay. I'll try something. If I still have problem with it, I'll write down a new topic.

Thanks Gilbot V7000a

Robin Gravel

SimSaw

I found 2 bugs in this versions, but I don't if they were also in a previous version, because I use AGS on a different computer and only update from time to time.

First: No winsetup.exe is created automatically.

Second: The thought thing does not work without problems. I used this:
DisplayThought (EGO, "&200 *Kack*, *kack*);
DisplayThought (EGO, "201 *Runterspül*");

I got several problems when I tried to get out the mistake.

To try it by yourself you need a font which supports the letter ü.

I hope you can fix that bug.

Goldmund

Properties are a great invention, and thank you for this!
There's one thing, though, that would make them the designer's dream come true: if they could be changed from within the script. Then they would form a powerful flagging system much easier and handy to use than global ints!
Any chance of seeing it happen?

Pumaman

Quote from: Erica on vacation on Thu 07/08/2003 13:50:33
* View 1 can`t be used for Idle, Thinking and Blinking views.

Indeed, this is in the knowledge base.

* The "No custom properties are defined" message box doesn`t look too good with the only word "editor." in the second line. Can you edit the message like this:

It's a standard Windows message box, and how the text wraps depends on your screen resolution and Windows version. So while I appreciate what you're saying, it's likely only a problem at one particular resolution, and changing the text would cause problems at another resolution instead.
Besides, it's hardly a major fault ;)

* When you click "Fullscreen preview" in the Room Editor one line in the place of the taskbar remains. (One gray line in the bottom part of the screen)

Yeah, this is a bit annoying. I'm not really sure why it happens, I do clear the entire screen to black so Windows must be doing something odd. It's no big problem though so I can't justify spending the time to fix it.

And finally one question - what happened to the Linux port of the editor? I can help.

The Linux editor is not going ahead for the time being, due to various factors. The Linux port of the engine will still continue to be maintained, however.

This is because only one script can run at a time, due to the current AGS architecture it is not fixable. You can always take a screenshot by running the game in a window and using Print Screen.

First: No winsetup.exe is created automatically.

Are you using the Pre-final? It seems to work fine for me. Older beta versions didn't include the setup file.

Second: The thought thing does not work without problems. I used this:
DisplayThought (EGO, "&200 *Kack*, *kack*);
DisplayThought (EGO, "201 *Runterspül*");

What is the problem you are having?

Properties are a great invention, and thank you for this!
There's one thing, though, that would make them the designer's dream come true: if they could be changed from within the script. Then they would form a powerful flagging system much easier and handy to use than global ints!
Any chance of seeing it happen?

This has already been requested a few times in this thread - the answer is, not for this version I'm afraid. However, I will consider adding it for 2.57.

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

There seems to have been a room interaction added... before there used to be "player enters room" and "player enters room (before fadein)". Now I see that "player enters room (after fadein)" has been added... which wouldn't be a problem, except that now whenever I finish testing I get a load of warnings that I have code in "player enters room" that I shouldn't have. What is the difference between "player enters room" and "player enters room (after fadein)"?

Pumaman

Quote from: Archangel on Fri 08/08/2003 18:18:03
There seems to have been a room interaction added... before there used to be "player enters room" and "player enters room (before fadein)". Now I see that "player enters room (after fadein)" has been added... which wouldn't be a problem, except that now whenever I finish testing I get a load of warnings that I have code in "player enters room" that I shouldn't have. What is the difference between "player enters room" and "player enters room (after fadein)"?

Errr... this changed back in v2.50, about a year ago. There are three:
First time player enters screen
Player enters screen (before fadein)
Player enters screen (after fadein)

You will get warnings if you put any blocking code into "before fadein" because the screen will be faded out with certain screen transitions, and thus the player won't be able to see what is happening.

Ah I'm sorry, I made a mistake. The problem now seems to be, I am getting warnings when I put blocking code into the First Time Player Enters Screen event. I wasn't getting warnings with RC2, I don't think. Unless I'm going mad.

Pumaman

I just tried that out and had no problems. What code are you using?

In my First Time Player Enters Screen event I have the following code:

character[EGO].x = 186;
character[EGO].y = 140;
SetCharacterView(EGO, 8);
character[EGO].talkview = 8;
Wait(30);  
character[BOSS].room = 1;
character[BOSS].x = 125;
character[BOSS].y = 198;
MoveCharacterBlocking(BOSS, 150, 150, 0);
FaceCharacter(BOSS, EGO);
RunDialog(0);

As you can see, there is a Wait() function, which is producing a warning for no apparant reason. There aren't any Wait()s in the before fadein event either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk