how do you start making these games

Started by spooky_cookie, Sat 25/09/2004 16:13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

spooky_cookie

i dont get how to make the games or anything. from dialog to backgrounds backgrounds that i have arent there to put on and characters ive created wont come on and mine wont even show the characters so please help anyone. im trying to make a lord of the rings game

Albert Cuandero

Hi spooky,

I am sure a lot of people are ready to help, but you maybe should be more specific. If you don't understand the tutorials in the manual or on this page, just post the exact point where you "snapped out".

It seems you have problems with importing spries and backgrounds?
The Background

Now, the first thing you need to do is draw the background for the room. Depending on what resolution you want to run the game at, you should draw it at either 320x200, 320x240, 640x400 or 640x480. Also, make sure your image is created at the colour depth that you chose earlier for the game.

Draw the image in your favourite paint package, and once done, save it as a BMP or PCX file. Then, return to the AGS Editor, and click the "Import Background" button.

Find the file you just created, and click Open. If you get a message asking which resolution the image is drawn for, select the appropriate option. (You are asked this because a 640x480 image, for example, could either be a full-screen image for a 640x480 game, or it could be a scrolling background for a 320x200 game).Ã, 

You should see the black area in the bottom part of the Editor replaced by your image.

which part of this tutorial are you having proplems with?
int do_you_like_me;
if (do_you_like_me == 1) Display ("You can call me Al");
else {}

Phemar

Be more specific, otherwise we can't help you. We're not here to make your game for you.

Albert Cuandero

Take it easy Zoraphus, maybe he/she needs just a little push to get going...

I suppose you have created a background image in the correct size and color depth, right?

now go back to AGS and click as on the picture bellow

choose the file and lean back...

int do_you_like_me;
else {}

Darth Mandarb

Mr(s). spooky-cookie - You already posted this question in the Critics Lounge (and it was locked there for obvious reasons).Ã,  Seeing as you posted the same thing twice I'm assuming you haven't read the forum rules for this section?

It's the inconspicuously title thread; READ THIS THREAD BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING ELSE!

You'll get the answers you need from actually reading that thread (and the links it provides) better than everybody rehashing the same information in this thread which will be locked shortly I'm sure.

Also, there's a search function on the forums.Ã,  Use that before you post another 'how to do this' thread.Ã,  ALWAYS search first, chances are good that you aren't the first person to have a particular question.

Not trying to be harsh on you ... you just need to read (and follow) the rules.

Thanks.

spooky_cookie

thxs 1 thing is how do u create ur own special characters and with weopens they can use eg:bow&arrow firing and killing another person.thats the last thing

spooky_cookie

And how do u see a preveiwof what is going to happen

Albert Cuandero

Quote from: spooky_cookie on Sat 25/09/2004 17:07:05
thxs 1 thing is how do you create your own special characters and with weopens they can use eg:bow&arrow firing and killing another person.thats the last thing

Just go to menu help/make my game...  ;)

(sorry, I tried - but I think you completely misunderstand the nature of AGS (or what it is). Please follow Darth Mandarb's advice before asking more questions)
int do_you_like_me;
else {}

Scummbuddy

yes, this is not rpg creator, this is adventure creator.

and zoraphus did not say anything innapropriate in their post.

just read the tutorials that are in the manual, and check out the sticky threads within this sub forum. and specific questions are the only way we can help you.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Goot

Try just making the sample game from the tutorial before worrying about your own characters. It's all explained. Just take it step by step and make sure you understand everything before going on.

BorisZ

Quote from: spooky_cookie on Sat 25/09/2004 17:22:44
And how do you see a preveiwof what is going to happen

How old are you?

TerranRich

Okay, I'm sorry, but I must interject and tell you to please read through the manuals, tutorials, everything. Come back when you have a specific question that we can understand and answer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk