Background Blitz - Voting starts September 4th

Started by Opo Terser, Tue 23/08/2005 22:10:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Opo Terser

---Background Blitz---
August 23rd - September 4th

The Topic:[/i]
The inside of an old west style saloon - including some sort of nude painting above the bar.

Size Limit:[/i]
320x240

No other rules.

Fine Artist

Title: After Hours.
Inspired by the painting on the wall, the saloon girl strikes a pose.
Enjoy!

Corey

lol really nice, i wish i could make such a nice animation  :)
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
But to have the prize of the night
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend
13th disciple who betrayed me for nothing!

Tuomas

Fine Artist

Hey thanks, Corey.
Anyone can do it eventually, just follow your heart and keep having fun.

Tuomas, the saloon girl's enchanted bra gives her teleportation powers.Ã,  This is actually a very accurate portrayal of the on goings in this saloon late one night.

Stefano

Weee! Saloon fun.  ;D

No teleporting ladies dancing on mine. Just two dudes, wishing they had one.  :P
Trying to make my first AGS game.

Neutron

it's not a fancy joint, just an ordinary waterin' hole.

Chicky

Neutron

loominous

Another modest watering hole, featuring even subtler nudity:

x2

I hasted through the sketch stage resulting in poor composition and perspective and didn't have time to add enough details to make it interesting and convincing.

Edit: Added entry
Looking for a writer

Neutron

might as well...it looks as though opo may have forgotten about us. 

TheYak

Loominus's is very professional and - in my case - jaw-dropping (It is, however, more art and less background, particularly with low contrast darkness even on this painfully bright Mac LCD) .   Neutron's has a nice, gritty, old-fashioned feel to it that makes me happy, and its daylight filtering in as well as consistency of style wins me over . 

I vote Neutron (unless his nudity is too subtle and disqualifies him, then Loominus). 

Traveler

I like Neutron's image a lot, too, but I vote for Loominus.... his drawing is just mind-blowing.  :o

Fine Artist

Lots of great entrees make this a tough one for me.Ã,  However, my vote is for Stefano because his saloon inspires my imagination.Ã,  I also think there are a lot of nice details that would make it a fun room for an adventure game.Ã,  Examples are: What is in the barrel? What happens if I pull on the bull horn? Or what info will the customer at the table give me if I bought him a drink?Ã,  I can't complain about the naked lady portrait either.Ã,  Props to Neutron and looninous, your saloons do look phenomenal.

Neutron

though this time the bottom is cut off of loominous's image, i can actually see most of it.  my vote is for loominous. i would like to comment ( rant ), however, that the backgrounds seem to be getting less backgroundy (spartan, ready to be filled with sprites) and more fleshed out, with what would ordinarily be accomplished with sprites.  i would like to ask that people be more true to the mission here.   these are supposed to be usable backgrounds, not illustrations, or full scenes.  :=

loominous

I'll put my vote on Stefano's, though those white areas really annoy me, mainly because of it's nice layout.

Quote from: Neutron on Tue 06/09/2005 08:33:51
the backgrounds seem to be getting less backgroundy (spartan, ready to be filled with sprites) and more fleshed out, with what would ordinarily be accomplished with sprites.Ã, 

I see your point, but I personally would draw the line at characters. If you look at the backgrounds of at least LEC games, they're usually quite crowded with objects to make the enviroments believeable and interesting, and only few of these are actually sprites added later on. I think one of the biggest flaws in amateur backgrounds is a kind of sparse theatre stage setting look with huge areas and few objects, which is why I liked Stefano's, though I think that those characters shouldn't have been included prior to an agreement on their implementation.

Quote from: YakSpit on Mon 05/09/2005 05:09:01
It is, however, more art and less background, particularly with low contrast darkness

I think with what AGS is capable of today people should be pushing the styles of game art further than what's done. If an old LEC sprite without any anti aliasing, brightness adjustment and color tinting would've been put into my background it would've clashed terribly, but with these it should work fine. Even the glare coming from the window works by adding it as a semi transparent object.

Games today have the potential of looking more or less like traditional animated movies and I hope more developers will snap out of the nostalgia and pursue styles that will intruige people outside the old school sphere.
Looking for a writer

Sam.

i really like looms, and thats why he's getting my vote. Of course i can see it as a bg, its got a floor hasn't it? Characters could walk around it and interact with it. Its not conventional, but its an awesome bg.
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Nacho

Shit... I voted for Loomie many times because whereas some of you were not voting him "because he is too good and he allways win" I thought it was fair. But this time I preffer Neutron's and Stefano's, to be honest. As Neutron hasn't been voted so far and it might result as a silly vote then I'd go for Stefano's.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Corey

I vote for fine artist... i like his nice barchick  :D
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
But to have the prize of the night
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend
13th disciple who betrayed me for nothing!

Privateer Puddin'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk