Illegal exception (SOLVED)

Started by MissyChelle, Wed 28/09/2005 05:23:39

Previous topic - Next topic

MissyChelle

???I am trying to have my character get in inventory item from a room. She gets it just fine and it's in her inventory. But then when I press tab and goto the inventory screen this message pops up:

Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x0041D7A2 ; program is +6, ACI version 2.70.864, gtags (19,20)
AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please not down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

I have no idea what to do or what I did wrong, lol. Can anyone help me?
I also have a nother question. There's no menu bar at the top of my game's screen when I test it out. How do I get one there? I checked the tutorial and help sections but I couldn't find anything on it.  ???

I have read previous posts on the same issue but I still don't understand. Could someone please help me out?
~*MissyChelle*~

strazer

Have you started your game using the "Empty game" template? If so, the sprites used by the built-in inventory GUI are probably missing, causing the crash.

So you have to use a custom inventory GUI or simply start your game using the "Default game" template.

Edit:

What you can also try is recreating the missing sprites:
Import 5 sprites or use existing ones, right-click each of them in the Sprite manager and select "Change sprite number...". Give them these numbers:
4 - Up arrow
1 - Down arrow
2041 - Look at
2042 - Select
2043 - OK/Close

Pumaman

As for the menu at the top of the screen, you need a GUI for it.

As strazer asks, which template did you use to start your game? If it's the Empty Game template, you may need to add a Mouse Ypos GUI yourself.

MissyChelle

I started with an empty template. And I feel so stupid cause I have no idea what either of you guys r talking about :(
~*MissyChelle*~

Kweepa

The empty template should probably be a separate download, so that people don't make this mistake...

If you haven't done much I'd recommend starting again, with the default game rather than the empty template.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

MissyChelle

I'm about 40% done :( I don't wanna start over. I just wanna know how to make my inventory work and how to have a menu bar at the top of my screen. :(
~*MissyChelle*~

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Then you COULD try doing what strazer suggested - import and re-number those sprites.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Ashen

For the menu bar, you could try:
1. Start a new game, using the 'Default Template'.
2. Go to the GUI window, and export the 'ICONBAR' gui. ('Export this GUI' from the dropdown menu.)
4. Load up your game.
5. Import the 'ICONBAR' GUI ('Import another GUI' from the dropdown menu.)

For the inventory:
1. While in the new, 'Default Template' game, go to the 'Sprite Manager', and copy (or save to file) the missing sprites strazer mentioned.
2. In your game, import & re-number the missing spites. (You might have to renumber some of your sprites (1 & 4), and change any reference to them in the editor and script.)

Alternatively, you could also export the INVENTORY GUI from the new game, import it into yours, and change the script to use that, instead of the built in one.

Maybe this now belongs in Beginners Tech?
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

MissyChelle

Thanks you guys!!! I finally got it working!  ;D

You guys r awesome!
~*MissyChelle*~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk