Bug: Calling the version number (FIXED)

Started by Colxfile, Tue 01/11/2005 11:44:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Colxfile

For some reason, there are quite a lot of AGS games out there that will display the Version number when you hold down CTRL-V. It appears that the only ones that are safe are those as old as Larry Vales. (Or older) I had thought that this would only work if you had enabled debug mode... (I believe its called by Debug(1,0))

But in addition, in a couple of games I've played (Best example is Trials of Odysseus Kent) if you call the Version info while the player-character is walking into view during the intro, the version info is displayed, and then the game crashes after the info is banished. You can only escape by pressing Alt-X. (There's also a very brief window to do this in Cirque de Zale, just before Alexander says 'Time to ruin me a circus') This appears to be because it is interrupting a Blocking walk command.
Always carry a UV marker pen with you. When you go to a shop or a friend's house, if you see something you like, put your name and postcode on it. If it gets stolen and subsequently recovered, the police will get in touch with you so that they can 'return' it.

Gilbert

Interesting, guess no one was actually noticing this.
But anyway, you can use the string system.version instead, which works even not in debug mode.

Actually I want the FPS feature to be available when not in debug mode...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteActually I want the FPS feature to be available when not in debug mode...

I saw code of that nature somewhere already... a pre-made function, maybe. At any rate, unless I'm mistake, you can also fire up the AGS3d module and find the appropriate function - it's there somewhere. I think.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Pumaman

It shouldn't matter if you press Ctrl+V in a blocking command, but I'll take a look at it and see if there's anything wrong.

Gilbert

Quote from: Rui "Brisby" Pires (a Furry) on Tue 01/11/2005 12:04:51
I saw code of that nature somewhere already... a pre-made function, maybe. At any rate, unless I'm mistake, you can also fire up the AGS3d module and find the appropriate function - it's there somewhere. I think.

Nope. AGS3D used Debug for the FPS display.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Then look somewhere else, I guess. ;D I'm sure I saw that thing somewhere...
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

SSH

Colxfile

There is another bit to this: I've actually commented out the line in the global "On_key_press" script that calls this, changed the scancode from Ctrl-V and deleted the line entirely. But the version is still displayed when I press Ctrl-V.
Always carry a UV marker pen with you. When you go to a shop or a friend's house, if you see something you like, put your name and postcode on it. If it gets stolen and subsequently recovered, the police will get in touch with you so that they can 'return' it.

Gilbert

True... Seems that these things were hard coded into the engine other than scripted, like the tilde key say for example.

Pumaman

Ctrl+V is hardcoded to help people with troubleshooting by enabling them to find out if the speech/music vox files are working and also to find out the sprite cache stats if they are having problems with it.

Edit by strazer:

AGS v2.71 RC 3:
  * Completely disabled Ctrl+V in all blocking situations.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk