Monthly Story - Voting Time!

Started by DeviantGent, Mon 28/11/2005 09:11:30

Previous topic - Next topic

DeviantGent

Oy oy folks. Here are the rules:

- Participants will write a story not limited by length unless specified by the month's rules;
- It's impossible for a judge to be impartial in this kind of competition where, for instance, great writing can save a meager plot. So the voting will be public, and go on for at least a week after the deadline, when the winner will be announced.
- The competition should last a month. Therefore, this particular one will run until the 29th of December - though some slack may given. Don't abuse it, though. Five days after the "oficcial" deadline no further entries are allowed and voting begins, but this tolerance is not mandatory, rather left to the thread-starter's description.
- The actual posts must NOT contain the story, but a link to it. The story MUST be hosted somewhere, even if temporarily.
- The object of this is to write a story. It can be a short story with 10 lines, it can be a whooper with 20 pages. It can have no characters, or a myriad of them. It can be in first person, or third; present or past of future tense. Your ONLY limitations are the ones the rules state, if any.
- The winner provides the theme and rules for the next comp.
- The comp-starter may participate. It's happened already, and this voting system should elliminate unfairness. Of course, out of fairness, the comp starter should start it without already forming an idea of the story he may write.

Now then now then now then. Here's the theme.

Crime.

This I feel is a suitably wide open subject for a story, as it can involve pretty much anything. It could be a piratical jinx on the High Seas in the 17th century, it could be about a high tech bank heist in some Orweliian nightmare of a future. It could deal with the tension of preparation, the dirty deed itself, or events after as you try to lie low.

It could be an action story, depecting a crime taking place, or it could be a psychological monologue, dealing with someone's thoughts as they witnessed something downright illegal (or were subjected to it.)

With this one, the only restriction I will impose is that something illegal has to feature as the subject in some way. That's it. This is a subject you are free to take and run with.

Enjoy!
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Phemar

Any length restrictions? I have a vague idea of something I might enter (with summer holidays coming up I should have plenty of time!)

Mordalles

Quote from: Dark Comet on Mon 28/11/2005 09:11:30
It can be a short story with 10 lines, it can be a whooper with 20 pages.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I'm entering this, sho' nuff. I've already got the story all fleshed out and wrote the first part - all I gotta do is set the rest to paper. Hopefully this time it'll be a bigger and actually complete entry. ;D
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Right, here it is. I'm double-posting because this thread needs a bump. ;D

Curtain Call

Kneel. Now.

PsychicHeart

Yeah i might give it a shot, never entered a competition on this forum.
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

bspeers

Alright, I was inspired to write something on this theme, so here you go:

God's Bomb

It's based loosely on a novel I've been working on for the last 10 years or so, but the story is not an exerpt, in fact, the character, the scene and almost everything in it is completely new as of this month.  The story is not perfect (there are some significant flaws in the deneument, which I am always weak on), and it feels a little condensed, but I am confident you will find it unusual and intriguing, hopefully providing a few chuckles as well.

Blah blah blah, read it.
I also really liked my old signature.

DeviantGent

Deadline's coming up folks. Last couple of days to get something out.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Mr Flibble

I'll get busy.

EDIT:

I named it because I felt I should, though the titles not great.

Get it here.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

DeviantGent

The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Mr Flibble

Am I allowed to vote?
(Also, *bump*)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Sure you can, Mr. Flibble. Incidently, my vote goes to you.

Kneel. Now.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

*coughcough* I know it's not pleasant for anyone to win a comp on a 1-0-0 basis, but it's better than the voting time extending this long...

Kneel. Now.

DeviantGent

Ok. My vote goes to Mr. Flibble, incidentally. Makes it 2-0-0. Congrats.  :)

Some good stories here, enjoyed reading them all.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Mr Flibble

Is voting time over?

2-nil victory seems a little... rogue-ish.

DeviantGent

Don't forget ye can vote as well.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Mr Flibble

voh

I can't vote as I haven't read the stories, but close this off already, so I can participate in the next one :P
Still here.

DeviantGent

Gah, keep forgetting about this.

Anyway, the winner is Mr. Flibble! Nice going. Time to get the next one started now.

*lockinate*
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk