January MAGS

Started by Klaus, Sun 01/01/2006 00:45:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New year, new competition, new topic - this time by Bernie...

Topic: Old people

DESCRIPTION:
Your game should tell a small story of someone old. Be it gramps trying to get those pesky kids off his lawn or granny solving a murder mystery in the neighbourhood, anything goes! Old people face problems we wouldn't even think about while we're still young, so there should be plenty of room for interesting ideas.

REQUIREMENTS:
-Your main character needs to be old (65+) and retired.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries should be in by January 27th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Arcangel

;D JAJA, I like the idea.

Sinitrena

It's been a while since I last entered a MAGS. I'm probebly in, depends on how much time I'll have.

Dr Lecter

I may put GG on hold to enter this, I havent entered a MAGS before and I've been a member of the form for about 14 months ::)

Czar

Well, to comfort you, I've been a member of this community since 2002, and I've made a whole lot. Of nothing. Yeah. That's right.
A whole lot.  :)

Of course, that is about to change.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

JuuL

I'm also working on a game for the January MAGS. It will be my first AGS game... that is if I actually finish it.

Hammerite

Me too.
I've work'd on many... completed none.
BTW, when I check the 'this month' section on the official MAGS site, I dont find anything about this competition and also, do I post my entry HERE or what?
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Klaus

Quote from: Hammerite on Tue 03/01/2006 20:37:13
BTW, when I check the 'this month' section on the official MAGS site, I dont find anything about this competition
Yes, this is a special fact these weeks as there is also the voting for the favourite MAGS game of 2005 running right now. Sorry. As this is the one that ends earlier I put that competition there. The "history" area now also lists MAGS 2006-01.

Quote from: Hammerite on Tue 03/01/2006 20:37:13
do I post my entry HERE or what?
Correct. First you upload the game to some webspace of your choice. Then - as written above - you simply post the download link of your entry to this thread here before January 27th (best with a screenshot). That's all. Your game will then be added to the MAGS site and of course also to the list of games that people can vote for...

Dr Lecter

I have exams until the 23rd, so I'll just defer making the rest of my game until then

mwahahaha

Does it have to be an adventure game?

UPDATE:  I just made a game in the last few hours (it's almost finished) it's a increadibly short and reasonably violent FPS where you're a war veteran fed up with kids playing soccer near your house.  It also has a full Beatbox soundtrack!

mwahahaha

Okay, I'm done.Ã, 

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=search&sterm=Veteran+shootout

It's pretty basic, but for my first finished game and something made in about 3 hours, it's ok.

Alternately, download it here http://www.americangirlscouts.org/agsuploads/files/vetshoot.zip

CaptainPancake

I will be entering this months MAGS.  So watch out, or something.

mwahahaha

Do we have to submit it in some specific place in the MAGS website, or just here?

ShadeJackrabbit

Is it alright if it's only one room?

Klaus

Quote from: mwahahaha on Fri 06/01/2006 09:17:50
Do we have to submit it in some specific place in the MAGS website, or just here?
You only need to post your entry here. That's all.

Quote from: ZAPPER on Mon 09/01/2006 01:43:38
Is it alright if it's only one room?
Sure. You can also enter with a one-room-game as there are no restrictions set in the rules.

scourge

i'm thinking about entering.

Mordalles

im also going to try something. hope i finish it. although, im not spending more than one day on bgs, so it might not look that great.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Mordalles

my very MAGS game is finished, but i dont know where to host it.

ags uploads doesnt work (and never worked for me before).

the game is only 1.4mb. can somebody help me!

ScottDoom

E-mail it to me (scott26@byron-koontz.com) and I can upload it to my web space.

Mordalles

i tried, scottdoom, but my email cant handle it.  :'(
so, i guess im out of luck.

it seems the biggest problem about making games is hosting them. for me anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk