Buccaneer 2 cancellation

Started by Hobbes, Wed 04/01/2006 16:12:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Hey all,

I've thought about posting about this in my Buc2 thread in the "Games in Production" area of the forum but instead posted it here...

After a long time of not doing anything I've decided to cancel Bucaneer 2. It's been on hold for a very, very long time now, and I really can't see myself working on it anymore. Real life commitment and a general shift in interests have lead to this.

I'm willing to offer ALL the files I have of Bucanneer 2. So if anyone is interested in developing a sequel, a spin-off, or something like that, please make it known in this thread... I'll get back to you then. :)

- Jaap

Elliott Hird

Give me the graphics, that will be all thank you :)

Ubel

Hobbes, don't give anything away yet. I'm still having my hopes on you! Maybe you will change your mind later. Buccaneer 2 was one of the most awaited games in my list! I beg you, keep the files to yourself just in case you'll change your mind on this. You really are the only one who is able to make Buccaneer 2. :(

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Awwwwwwwwwww. Say it ain't so. :'(

I don't suppose it would help anything if I offered to help on a couple of things? Say, programming and/or a bit of dialog writing. Take some of the load off your shoulders. It might get you going again.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Vel

Maybe you should say how much of the game you've got ready, Hobbes?
And if someone commited does take over the project, I'll continue my work on the buccaneer 2 soundrack. I hope it will be so.

jetxl

Sorry to hear that. I learned from one of your screenshots to make a city by copying houses.
I can read dutch. Give me the source and story notes and I'll finish it for you.

Chicky

No! Don't cancel!

Seriously, look at all the people who want to play it!

Haddas

NOOOOOO! Do it, and be STRANGELED!

LGM

pbbfb.. It's not April yet, Hobbes.
You. Me. Denny's.

ManicMatt

I'll add my little bit of support here...

Shucks this game looks cool!

Tiki

You'll be violating the Pirate Code if you stop!

Ishmael

I didn't play Buccaneer because some people said it's good or because I'd play many games that come out. I heard it's going to have a great sequel and got it. AND THIS IS HOW YOU PAY ME BACK? :'(

:=
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

magintz

Perhaps you could release the graphics etc.. as open source like insta-game or ron, so people can make their own bucanner series.

it could be quite a big thing :D
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

m0ds

D'oh!! Thats a real shame, Hobbes. Buc 2 looked awesome! Plus I was uber excited about the sword-fighting!! :( Perhaps you could ask Jan to work on it as a little side project? I'd imagine he would know what he's doing!!

Hobbes

Hey all,

Thanks for the nice supportive messages in this thread! After two weeks of careful thought I've decided to continue work on Buccaneer 2. I'm not going to give ANY estimate on when it will be done, because my Winter 2005 estimate was, well... very lofty.

m0ds, I'm hoping Jan is indeed still interested in working on Buc2. I'd better try and contact him to see if he's still interested.

My cutscene artist however, has left without any notice. So I'm once again without someone to draw the introduction sequence. I've sketched most of it on paper so if anyone's willing to help out there?

Rui, thanks for your offer to help with the coding! So far, I am able to code most of it myself. I have DAY 1 roughly completed (out of the 5 days in total) and am somewhat confused already by all the GlobalInts I keep calling for events, but hey, I've got 'em documented... the dialogue writing however, that would be nice. I'll get back to you on that!

To prove that I've resumed work, today I drew a nice screen to be used in the short prologue... this prologue can be likened to Fate of Atlantis' quest to search the statuette at the beginning.

DoorKnobHandle

Great news! That made my day. The new screen looks great, too!

Quote from: Hobbes on Sun 22/01/2006 15:04:35
m0ds, I'm hoping Jan is indeed still interested in working on Buc2. I'd better try and contact him to see if he's still interested.

Yeah, you better do that. :=

No seriously, I would like to do stuff for your game - as long as it doesn't require weeks and weeks of work (because then the FoY-fans would probably burn my house down). :)

Ubel

I've had generally a very great day today! But you totally made it, Hobbes! Thank you for continuing on this! I was just about to give up hope. Thank you!

By the way, that background looks awesome! Great job!

Quote from: dkh on Sun 22/01/2006 15:14:07
as long as it doesn't require weeks and weeks of work (because then the FoY-fans would probably burn my house down). :)

FoY is never going to be finished anyway, so what does it matter? := Heh, sorry. ;)

Vel

That's most awesome news, Hobbes!
And pm me the tunes you need.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk