March MAGS

Started by Klaus, Thu 02/03/2006 14:09:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new rules are designed by Abisso. The base of this month's rules is this location:

Topic: The Skies

"Skies" means at least ten thousand meters above the sea, and maybe over the clouds (not just the top of a mountain, instead). The space is not valid, either.
The world under it can be an earthly one or not, as you prefer.

The game must feature:
- A flying city of some kind (built on the clouds, or just magically floating, even flying thanks to an engine)
- An angel sort of creature (even a fallen one, if you like, but not demon-like) as the main character, or as a secondary character, but NOT just an item (like a statuette) and NOT just an image (a picture).

No other restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries should be in by March 27th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Abisso

Good luck to everyone, hope a lot of you enters the competition.

And, even if you've got just a month, aim "high", reach for the sky!
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Afflict

So heaven is allowed?

Abisso

Of course, if you set it in the skies. Even hell is allowed, if you set it in the skies. Just some religions set heaven in the skies (and hell in the underground) though.

It must be clear that the setting are the skies, anyway, not just an extradimensional heaven.

A�rendyll (formerly Yurina)

If I wasn't busy with my 2 (!) games I would enter for sure. This is such a nice topic to make games about!
Yuna: Give me a Y!
Rikku: Give me an R!
Paine: Give me a break...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

voh

Actually, for the first time *ever* I'm utterly and totally inspired to compete. I'm going to try and see what I can whip up as far as concepts go :)
Still here.

mwahahaha

hmm... I suppose I can just use the game engine I made for the last MAGS and change the setting a little bit to make it compatable, is that allowed?

sergiocornaga

I think so, if it's just the game engine.

Klaus

Quote from: mwahahaha on Sat 04/03/2006 01:57:58
hmm... I suppose I can just use the game engine I made for the last MAGS and change the setting a little bit to make it compatable, is that allowed?

Quote from: SergioCornaga on Sat 04/03/2006 02:03:58
I think so, if it's just the game engine.
Depends on what is the game engine!? Did you rewrite AGS?  ;)

Well it's yet another question of fairness: Time is a part of the rules - you know one game in one month. So if you are using already existing parts you have more time for doing all of the rest. But the entries should be compareable also in the "category" of time. If you simply do not work on the game this month now for the time that you needed to develop the already created part it's quite okay. So if you get this "time thing" in a way that you think is also fair to others it's always allowed.

Abisso

Quotehmm... I suppose I can just use the game engine I made for the last MAGS and change the setting a little bit

A little bit?!? the previous competition was set in the underground, so I couldn' t imagine something farther from it than "the skies"! (this is the reason for I chose it) :)

Anyway, if you're able to, why not?

Bye.

mwahahaha

Cool, and don't worry, I have a really good idea to tie it in.

Peder 🚀

I might join this for the first time in my life :P
If I gets to make a story that fits.

[Edit]
YAY, just finished a "on the fly" story.
Will go through it tomorrow and finish it ;D.
I just hope I will survive on the Character art and animation :o
Cause Iam CRAP on those 2 things.

Anyone know about a good and easy tutorial for those 2 things?

Mordalles

you should check out mrcolossal's tutorials. they're excellent.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Mordalles on Thu 09/03/2006 00:04:52
you should check out mrcolossal's tutorials. they're excellent.

Ok, thanks, Ill see if I can find them :P

[Edit]
Found the link..

Abisso

Peder, just one thing:

In your game (WDSG) and in your post you wrote "finnish" instead of "finish". But you're from Norway, not Finland, so is it a joke, or a spelling mistake? :)

I'm just joking, anyway, my english is much more terrible than yours. :)

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Abisso on Thu 09/03/2006 14:11:49
Peder, just one thing:

In your game (WDSG) and in your post you wrote "finnish" instead of "finish". But you're from Norway, not Finland, so is it a joke, or a spelling mistake? :)

I'm just joking, anyway, my english is much more terrible than yours. :)

hehe, Iam good at spelling mistakes ;)

one thing, pls check your PM :P its IMPORTANT!Ã,  :o

SmootH

Just wait until you see my entry! It will literally light your pants on fire. Hopefully it doesn't get disqualitfied for that specific quality.

One month, from start to finish, from knowing nothing of AGS to knowing very little about ags, from utter obscurity to obscurity. Booyah!

Also, a city suspended by one large helium balloon counts as a flying city, am I right?
There is nothing, NOTHING ointment can't cure!

Abisso

QuoteAlso, a city suspended by one large helium balloon counts as a flying city, am I right?

For sure. And gives its citizens funny voices, maybe (try inflating Helium, and you'll understand).

SmootH

Yeah, inhaling helium is only funny when you can talk to someone though. I'm so lonely.
There is nothing, NOTHING ointment can't cure!

Peder 🚀

YAY, I finally started my work inside AGS.

*"Scripting" like a mad man while being carefull not to make to many bugs and typos.*

Looks promising so far for me :D.

I pretty sure I will make it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk