BIOTHLEBOP WON! - Monthly Writing Contestinator - March

Started by voh, Wed 15/03/2006 18:40:40

Previous topic - Next topic

voh

Argh, had a bit of trouble with the internet the past few days, and moving house hasn't been easy on the old bones, but here it is!

Teh house r00lz.

- Participants will write a story not limited by length unless specified by the month's rules;
- It's impossible for a judge to be impartial in this kind of competition where, for instance, great writing can save a meager plot. So the voting will be public, and go on for at least a week after the deadline, when the winner will be announced.
- The competition should last a month. Therefore, this particular one will run until the 15th of April. Definitely not the 15th of March. 15th of April. Though some slack may given. Don't abuse it, though. Five days after the "official" deadline no further entries are allowed and voting begins, but this tolerance is not mandatory, rather left to the thread-starter's descression.
- The actual posts must NOT contain the story, but a link to it. The story MUST be hosted somewhere, even if temporarily.
- The object of this is to write a story. It can be a short story with 10 lines, it can be a whooper with 20 pages. It can have no characters, or a myriad of them. It can be in first person, or third; present or past of future tense. Your ONLY limitations are the ones the rules state, if any.
- The winner provides the theme and rules for the next comp.
- The comp-starter may participate. It's happened already, and this voting system should elliminate unfairness. Of course, out of fairness, the comp starter should start it without already forming an idea of the story he may write.

Well, after that almost lawyerese introduction, here's the theme for this month's writing competition.

'Film Noir'

Film Noir is one of my favourite themes - or settings - or atmospheres - or whatever. Go with whatever you feel is Film Noir, and you can google for inspiration quite easily, as it's well-documented ;)

Get cracking, people! (oh, and please do participate - it's amazingly fun to read stories written by other users of this forum).
Still here.

Tuomas

Quote from: voh on Wed 15/03/2006 18:40:40
- The competition should last a month. Therefore, this particular one will run until the 15th of March - though some slack may given.

So eh, how much slack are you willing to give because my entry might take a bit longer... ;)

voh

You've been cancelled due to wrong!

(fixed ;))
Still here.

LilBlueSmurf

I have never done one of these, but I am so doing this.  I started tonight and am already up near 1300 words... Hopefully it doesn't get too long.

voh

Still here.

voh

C'mon people, don't make me look bad  :P
Still here.

biothlebop

Hell is like Tetris, make sure that you fit.

voh

First off, good to see someone enter, but second, I would like to call your attention to the following:

Quote- The actual posts must NOT contain the story, but a link to it. The story MUST be hosted somewhere, even if temporarily.

:)
Still here.

Tuomas

Don't give up mate, I've been doing mine for a while now, it's going to be very long 8) ;D, but these last weeks have been a rush so I haven't yet finished it, but hey, we've got time don't we :)

Biothlebop NOOOOO!!! Don't say your main character's name is Jack too! Now I've got to change mine and the name of my story :(  :P

biothlebop

His name might be Jack, or it might just be a general thing bartenders say.
Hell is like Tetris, make sure that you fit.

MarVelo

Cookieswithmilk

If I were more computer literate (sad, really, my skill with computers) I'd submit something, but I don't know how to do the "link to a page where your story is" thing. It might already be a topic somewhere else or something (Although I didn't see it), could someone maybe post a sticky with a tutorial for how to do this for all us noobs? Much appreciated  :)

MarVelo

You go to the uploading website, then it gives you a link and you paste it into your post.

Cookieswithmilk

I don't even know any uploading websites; I don't usually do that sort of thing (uploading) :(

And the thing is, the story's looking pretty good, despite my general modest-ness about anything I do

Cookieswithmilk

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/Far_from_the_sky.zip

There we go! :D

It might not be true film noir, but that's alright. I've never seen a film noir flick, so makes my knowledge pretty small... however, I've seen some parodies of the style, played max payne, and read the stories posted above, so it seems pretty close. Even if it isn't on-topic, I enjoyed writing it.

P.S. Thanks to taffytom for helping me with the uploading situation. And sorry it's in notepad; I don't usually write on this computer.

Cookieswithmilk

MarVelo

Voh, you didnt leave a end date and its past march so I think we should wrap this up as a three way competition.

voh

QuoteTherefore, this particular one will run until the 15th of April. Definitely not the 15th of March. 15th of April.

There is SO an end date :)
Still here.

MarVelo

Tuomas

Thank god there's an end date. I just realized I won't be home for a while and my text is there and I'm going to have real trouble with getting it done. This means shortening it a lot! But if I won't make it, I will leave a half done entry, just because I wouldn't like my work to go waste.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk