Background Bloodbath! 6/14-6/28- WINNER!

Started by Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens, Thu 15/06/2006 01:40:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

The 80's...Jukebox heroes, Pepsi Free's, and horror movies that didn't suck.  Yeah, you guessed it...This topic is

ALL ABOUT 80's horror!

Your mission

1.  Take a place/scene from your favorite 1980's horror flick and transform it into the world of gaming, turning it into a stunning background of no more than 320x240 dimensions @ 256 colors max!   Horror movies only please, not sci-fi/drama or debatable films.  Use IMDB if you are unsure.

Edit:  To clarify for Redwall and others, if the IMDB listing defines Horror as a key genre then it is an acceptable film so long as it came out from 1980-1989.  So something like Aliens that is horror based in a sci fi universe (gore, traumatic deaths, etc) is allowed.  This includes B-movies like XTRO (horror in a sci-fi setting with action) and The Evil Dead (horror with some fantasy and haunting elements) but not something like 2010 or The Abyss.  Use IMDB if you are unsure.

2.  State which movie your background references with spoiler tags only, please.  This allows voters a chance to see how recognizable your efforts are.

Spoiler
and might get you more votes!
[close]

For example, you could:

Recreate the famous egg room from Aliens, complete with facehuggers!  The arctic weather station from John Carpenter's The Thing!  The ominous Overlook Hotel from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining!  Or how about Camp Crystal Lake?  The possibilities, while not endless, are fun!

As usual the voting will commence at the end of two weeks and cover the areas of:

- Best Idea

- Best Design

-Best Functionality

-Best Technique

No tracings or paintovers please, though you are welcome to draw from a reference.

May the most horrific entrant win!

Redwall

Aliens is not debatebly sci-fi? (And isn't Aliens action and Alien horror, anyway?) :P
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

[Cameron]

Now, the sun will be up in an hour or so and we can all get out of here together. You, me, Linda, Shelly. Hmm... Well... not Shelly, she? We'll all be going home together. Wouldn't you like to be going home? I bet you'd like that, wouldn't you? Scott?
Spoiler
Evil Dead, Hail to the king baby
[close]

timlump

heres my entry

Spoiler
The Shining
[close]

TheCheese33

I really like your entry, Cameron. The cabin looks very dark and foreboding.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
need...More...WOUND!

timlump

Cameron you didnt use 256 colours by the looks of it.
It should be disqualified unless you change it to 256.

Kweepa

That's hard to believe, since it's a GIF.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

[Cameron]

tim, I did use 256. The fact that its a gif, as Steve pointed out, makes it obvious I did.

timlump

ok but when i imported it onto my comp and converted it o 256 colours it lost information although you do that with mine it doesnt but you know what your talking about, i'm probably just complaining about nothing.

Khris

Cameron, admit it already! :=

timlump, you've used 321x240 by the looks of it and "it should be disqualified". Yes, my eyes are that sharp.

Sektor 13

Well, about the colors, i think he meant that he used tehniques/tools available only in 16 and 32 bit image editing, (like smudge, colorize, lighten/darken...) and after that je converted the image to 256 col.

Ok what is my point !? So, you can easily create picture with advance tools in 32-bit colors, and that decrease it back to 256 col, without loosing any important quality. BUT if you try to make picture from scratch in 256 col. it is much harder to make it, as only basic tools are available, and the final result is IN MOST CASES  worse. Allthou an good artist can draw both ways.. i think :), i know i can't :).

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

There's nothing wrong with downgrading to 256 color as long as you like the results.  Does this make it any clearer?  Please stay on task people, this is a competition thread not General Discussion.  Why do I always have to play the bad guy to get people to behave? ;(

biothlebop

Spoiler
The dining room from Beetlejuice with some changes and missing props due to laziness
[close]
refs: 1 2
Hell is like Tetris, make sure that you fit.

Afflict

Krysis

It is rather obvious...

Best Idea: biothlebob

Best Design: biothlebob

Best Functionality: [Cameron]

Best Technique: biothlebob

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Best Idea: Cameron
Best Design: Cameron
Best Functionality: Cameron
Best Technique: Biothlebop

sergiocornaga

Best Idea: timlump
Best Design: biothlebob
Best Technique: biothlebob

skw

Best Idea: Cameron (Evil Dead!!1)
Best Design: biothlebop
Best Technique: biothlebop (That looks like an oil painting!)
a.k.a. johnnyspade

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I'll give it another day since not many people have voted yet.

Kweepa

Best idea: Cameron. An Evil Dead game would be terrific!
Best design: biothlebop. The reward should go to Tim Burton and Tom Duffield of course.
Best functionality: Cameron. Simple but functional.
best technique: biothlebop. Great stuff as usual!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk