Background Blitz: July 29th - August 8th

Started by ildu, Sat 29/07/2006 13:20:45

Previous topic - Next topic

ildu

I apologize for the big delay. NeilDnuma wasn't able to host this, so he asked me to do it, since I got second place in the previous blitz. So, it took me one or two days to get it started :D. I decided to make the competition only one and a half weeks long, as I've found that with longer time periods entries tend to be made during the beginning and the very end of the given time period. I can extend the deadline if anyone has problems with this.

ROOFTOPS
[/b]
Inspiration:

Guidelines:

Create a background that portrays the topic, rooftops, in some way. It may be exterior or interior, a close-up or in the background, but the existance of rooftops has to be apparent. You may show a single rooftop if you want to, but multiple rooftops are prefered, seeing as were trying to get that urban and elevated environment.

Specifications:

Max resolution: 640x480
Palette: Unlimited.

Voting:

Voting will commence on the 8th of August and will be closed at midnight (GMT) on that date. Please give one vote in each of the following categories:

* Best Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't necessarily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

* Best Design - The style of the picture, architectural, landscape design, best mood, most evocative etc.

* Best Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, including appropriate walking distances, good angle for character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood exits etc.

* Best Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of rendering.

Esterlin

No entries so far  ???
that's odd, It's a really interesting theme. I'm working on my own so come on people :P

ildu

Yeah. It's easy to win if you have no one to compete with :D. So people, here's a great chance for the underdogs :).

limeTree

i drew mine for one whole day when i saw the competition,it kindy suks(My picture) and i decided not to enter since,well,nobody else entered.

Esterlin

Well I'll enter and It'd suck to be the only one  :-\
Come on people, we need some competition here!

ildu

If there's only one entry or considerably less than desirable until the deadline, I'll extend it. And I'll keep extending it until there are enough entries or until reason kicks in and we settle on just skipping this blitz :D. Anyways, there's still a whole week of until the deadline, so I wouldn't worry.

Lipaoklipa: Go ahead and post it if you're not planning on still working on it.

gameboy

Wow, I'm the first one here to post a BG.

A quick simple entry here:

limeTree

raddicks

I will have a go at this maybe tonight, with some absinthe shots :-)

Esterlin

Great, some competition with two very good backgrounds. Gameboy I'm always impressed by your simple and yet extremely beautiful style.

Let me try too :)

I haven't placed it but it's someplace hot.
Quite a few rushed areas lacking detail, I might correct them if I find the time. The boardsign in the left has a sketch in it so if anyone can make it out with all the texture, let me know what you think it is :P There is a special treat for you if you zoom in inside the nest.

A new life is bornÃ,   :)

Ha Ha I am OK

1x

2x

It's a quick sketch of the roof of a house by the sea.
It's not very detailed but it has a big walking area.
I am better than OK, I am Great http://www.freewebs.com/666to777/

Khris

Quote from: lipaoklipa on Wed 02/08/2006 16:53:54
Oh,why the hell not:
[big pic]
13N5 F14R3!!! It was about time. :=

gameboy: As always a very nice, clean style. Love it!

Clip

Well, here comes my quite humble entry:

nihilyst

ildu

Right, you've now got about 14 hours before voting begins. So if anyone still wants to enter, do it now. And if anyone needs an extension, I'll extend it until the 12th of August. I don't have a problem with extending it, so if anyone feels the need, just PM me.

Misj'

ildu

Ok, voting is officially open and will close in 24 hours at midnight (GMT) on the 8th of August (today).

MarVelo

I hereby vote for

Gameboy

in all categories.

buloght

best idea: Gameboy
best design: Misj
best technique, functionality: Nihilyst

Saberteeth

Best idea: Misj
Best design: Misj
Best technique: Gameboy