Monthly Writing Contest - August 2006 - P.O.V. [WINNER - charliechuck]

Started by Kweepa, Tue 01/08/2006 14:54:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Kweepa

First the fine print:

- Participants will write a story not limited by length unless specified by the month's rules.
- It's impossible for a judge to be impartial in this kind of competition where, for instance, great writing can save a meager plot. So the voting will be public.
- The competition should last a month. Therefore, this particular one will run until the 26th of August. After that, we will have five days for voting. These deadlines are not absolute, but try to meet them.
- The actual posts must NOT contain the story, but a link to it. The story MUST be hosted somewhere, even if temporarily.
- The object of this is to write a story. It can be a short story with 10 lines, it can be a whooper with 20 pages. It can have no characters, or a myriad of them. It can be in first person, or third; present or past or future tense. Your ONLY limitations are the ones the rules state, if any.
- The winner provides the theme and rules for the next comp.
- The comp-starter may participate. It's happened already, and this voting system should eliminate unfairness. Of course, out of fairness, the comp starter should start it without already forming an idea of the story he may write.

The subject is: Points of View. Your story should consist of two (or more) points of view. They can be contradictory or complementary. The story can be humorous or serious. The points of view can be interspersed or one after the other.
Examples: first and third person; protagonist and antagonist; or dog and owner.

You do not have to stop there. Any way you intrerpret these rules should be okay, since this is a competition where the public decides.

If this was unclear, write your story how you understood me and come up with the rest.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

adam100

My point of view on the variety of points of views shared by various inhabitants of our varied world in regard to their supernatural superior figure of absolute omniscience:

Ignoramus' point of view :
The world is a sweet place to live. While the sun gently blazes up in the sky I bask in its rays with but two sole feelings preoccupying my mind, ecstasy and love. My lovely wife lays on my side, reaching me with her ginger hands while her face emits the quintessence of a jovial smile. Our love is long and unbroken and shall last till death do us apart. Our sweet little children play along in the fragrant gardens my wife has so craftily made and kept up. While the little kids, as kids do, give vent to a series of euphoric laughter that strike my ears, a gentle smile appears on my face as I realize that I for one have found the true, sweet Haven, here on Earth and nowhere else.

Eccentric genius' point of view:
Damned be the ignorance that spreads from the brim to the very bowels of the world as it successively pervades the minds of our modern world and reach even to the most enlightened men who frantically cherish and praise the masterwork of science. Death reaps our wretched souls more and more frequently and whenever it strikes it does so with utmost ferocity, as if no longer from sole duty but for containing its own sordid desires. Time wreaks havoc as it flies by and who is there to stop it, to contain its ravages? There is we, humanity to protect the will of Lord yet what have we become? A mere group of savages who continue live completely ignorant of the consequences of their parasite lives. Who can speak to them? Who can reach and pervade their ignorant minds? I have tried yet I have done so in vain. The world seems to have no mercy on my mind nor body. The sun commandeers relentlessly its scorching rays which set my skin ablaze with pain and my organs with convulsion. The people mock my foolish attempts and send me back into the dark realms of oblivion, like a broken cogwheel thrown away into the closet, where I can freely weep away my pains and my loneliness, but the pains continue to return and haunt me day and night. Five days and five nights of plaque have passed through my body and now, having battled with a series of contradictory thoughts, I have finally made my decision that is to put an end to my misery in this troubled world. I may be judged as a traitor, but then again, what choice does a captain have when faced by his mutinied crew but to let go of his leadership and send his former crew into a sure doom while he drifts away in his raft, rejected and forgotten. May Lord forgive me!

The Lord's view:
Ah, my poor little Earth is troubling my mind. For decades I have struggled with all my might and main to contain the horrible disease that pervades inevitably the lives of those Earthly beings, the paranoia that induces in them the maddening desire to end their life. How ungrateful and how incomprehensible are those creatures whom, in my surge of mercy, I have so mercifully given the privilege to live yet a few million years longer in those Utopian continents. Given the chance to bask in the warmth of Haven under my loving guidance, they choose in some surge of madness to cast themselves sooner rather than later into the embrace of the Devil! What madman would seek to start his punishment earlier than planned? I am the God and the Almighty yet the nature of humanity has still yet to be fathomed by my reasoning. 

MarkPhantom

'Hallow's End: Everyone goes there eventually'  http://www.freewebs.com/codpiecestudios

[Cameron]

Truck driver: What was that?
Pedestrian a minute earlier: Fuc*glurk*

Definatley not an entry :)

voh

I haven't read it yet, charlie, but I love the title ;D

Also, I'll try to enter this contest again, as I've got my macbook now, which is good for my writing (I always wrote on my laptop, didn't have one for awhile, now I do, so yayay!)
Still here.

Kweepa

Ok, last day! Voting starts tomorrow.
voh, still want to enter? Any other last minute entries?

Kweepa

No one else has entered, so let the voting commence.

Kweepa

I think I saw some tumbleweed rolling by.
Voting should end quite soon... hopefully not with only my vote for MarkPhantom's story.

lilemX

i vote for charliechuck " ;Dlike"
i liked the "like" very real "like"

Kweepa

SinSin

Currently working on a project!

voh

I vote Charlie Duck too.

And I totally forgot about this... Chaos in life... Hopefully, now that it's all settled down, I can finally churn out some monthly stories again (the 3 stories I got out of these compo's are in my book that was released a couple of weeks ago, so thanks for the incentive to write!)
Still here.

Kweepa

Charlie Chuck, you are the winner! Congratulations, and take it away!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk