Who ever made Roger?

Started by Buckethead, Tue 22/08/2006 19:28:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckethead

First of all I would like to say sorry for getting up some old discussion again. Second, if nobody feels like making a new Roger (which I fairly doubt) I could give it a try. I can understand that there some people like Roger and don't want to see him leave BUT! What about an Default SE? With the same settings only with a new and improved Roger. Old Roger lovers could ofcourse just pick the normal Default.

3rd, If i understand correctly CJ (a.ka Chirs jones almighty) made Roger, ok that's all I wanted to know. THNX ^^

R4L

I don't know a Chirs Jones, any references?

j/k I like the current Roger, but I think Prog's Roger would be cool to use as say an extra character? Say someone can draw backgrounds, but not characters too well. Having a newer looking Roger would fit nicely there. Or maybe just having an extra template to use would be good, especially for people modding the current Roger to use in their games. All I am saying is that it wouldn't hurt.

MrColossal

Yea, now let's update that blue cup... We gotta keep up with the times!
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

sedriss

Here. I made a new and improved bluecup.

By the time you read this you've already read it.

big brother

While we're at it, we should give Roger a l3n5f14r3, too.

Imagine how sweet the walkcycles would be.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Dan_N

Hey, don't touch that cup!

I've searched to long and hard to find a big blue cup to buy and keep near me for inspiration! (and the occasional emptying of a 2,5l cola bottle)
Do you know how hard it is to find a big blue cup in Romania? It's like we're a freakin' 3rd world country!

Anyway, I'm not going to search for a new cup now!

Anyway, I think Roger's funny the way he is, and the only thing that should be changed is his view. I mean, make it more human-like and acceptible, for those who cannot draw too well to fill in Roger with different colors and make minor changes easily. Can you imagine Trilby walking like the existing Roger?

(my 2 grammes of spice for now)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

For Steve and others:

I didn't feel like doing diagonal walk cycles and most people don't use them anyway.  Feel free to paintover these as needed, though I recommend people use these as a reference rather than do a paintover.  You learn more that way.  These are 6 frame animations except for the icons.  I don't know how many Colossal's template uses.

Edit:  Forgot to put in Roger's insignia in the left walk cycle.  Added a bonus anim because I like doing heroic type corny poses.

Kweepa

Awesome, thanks ProgZmax!
Now we just need to persuade CJ to put those in the default template.
(Couldn't bring yourself to paint the poster pink, eh?)
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Gilbert

No, it can't be in the default template, another template maybe. ;)

EagerMind

Well, I realize I'm new here, but here's a vote for ProgZmax's version of the sprite. The only potential downside I see is that maybe everyone will start using the default!  :)

But I do agree about the cup - no touch! I've got a big black cup (close enough, I suppose) sitting by my side even as I type.

Ubel

I think it's a wonderful sprite and it's a great reference for people who want to practice animating. But still what EagerMind says is quite true. Some people are already using Roger in their games as the player character, which is bad enough.

With these sprites in the default game, and if you also replace the GUI graphics, we would rarely see new sprites again since new people want to use the default template for everything.

I repeat myself, no Roger replacing! :)

Dan_N

Here, here!

I continue the motion for new Roger, at least for Roger's brother, or something...

And I support ProgZmax's character.

Here's to you!(drink out of 2,5l cola bottle)

Kudos!

SSH

Now, who's going to redo the default template iconbar and cursors?

Buckethead

Quote from: SSH on Thu 24/08/2006 06:21:33
Now, who's going to redo the default template iconbar and cursors?

There isn't much wrong with those imo besides, everyone with a bit of talent should be good enough to make their own cursors.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

How about some weird alien type icons?

Ali

I would strongly support the inclusion of a ProgZMax's Roger Mark II in the default template. A more polished default graphic would be more inspiring. I don't think it would lead to more people depending upon Roger II as a player character, I think it would encourage people by showing them what can be achieved.

I don't think that should be seen as disrespectful towards Mr Jones's Roger, but I do feel the original distinctly lags behind the quality of the AGS software.

Chicky

Getting rid of roger is a bad idea. The poor default sprites encourage people to make their own, no matter how good or bad they are. With progz's one in there we'll end up with a load of clones with the same character.

Change is bad. I've still not learn the new scripting style.

SSH

AGS could come with Empty, Default (new) and Classic templates...

Layabout

No it shouldn't be included. There is no reason ANYONE should ever use the default template unless they are making a test demo for themselves to learn how to use ags. NO other reason.

If Roger looks okay, more people will use it in their own games. As a graphical template it is fine, but it should not be included.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Buckethead

Can I use ProgZmax' char anyway?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk