Monthly Writing Contest - September [WINNER ANNOUNCED]

Started by charliechuck, Wed 13/09/2006 09:47:43

Previous topic - Next topic

charliechuck

First the fine print:

- Participants will write a story not limited by length unless specified by the month's rules.
- It's impossible for a judge to be impartial in this kind of competition where, for instance, great writing can save a meager plot. So the voting will be public.
- The competition should last a month. We are nearly half way through Septmeber so, this particular contest will run until theÃ,  10th October . After that, we will have five days for voting. These deadlines are not absolute, but try to meet them.
- The actual posts must NOT contain the story, but a link to it. The story MUST be hosted somewhere, even if temporarily.
- The object of this is to write a story. It can be a short story with 10 lines, it can be a whooper with 20 pages. It can have no characters, or a myriad of them. It can be in first person, or third; present or past or future tense. Your ONLY limitations are the ones the rules state, if any.
- The winner provides the theme and rules for the next comp.
- The comp-starter may participate. It's happened already, and this voting system should eliminate unfairness. Of course, out of fairness, the comp starter should start it without already forming an idea of the story he may write.

This month's subject is: REVENGE You can interpret this in a number of ways, the story could be about someone getting revenge on someone or something, or they could be the reciever of revenge by someone else.

You do not have to stop there. Any way you intrerpret these rules should be okay, since this is a competition where the public decides.

Good luck and get writing!

voh

Oh gosh, do I ever have an inkling I will participate in this one. Great topic! Mostly because it's a fairly generic topic that allows for a lot of freedom and interpretation, which is good :)

I'll chime back in once I've got something to submit.
Still here.

Dan_N

Mr. Chuck, I have question: must the person inacting revenge actually succeed?

Kweepa

"Any way you interpret these rules should be okay"
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Dan_N

charliechuck

We're just past the halfway point and so far there's a possible 2 entries in the pipeline. Any other takers?

adam100

Manor of Silence:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3172417/1/
The "revenge" theme has been taken very lightly here, but I suppose it all depends on the reader's interpretation.

charliechuck

The deadline approaches, only one entry so far  :(

The competition will end on tuesday 10th, If anyone needs anymore time please let me know and I'll extend the deadline (note I'm not around over the weekend)

voh

I'm still working on my entry, not sure if I can get it done before the 10th (busy busy...), so an extension would be more than agreeable as far as I'm concerned :)
Still here.

voh

Argh! I wrote the thing on my laptop, but I'm at work and forgot to bring my USB key (andÃ,  can't get the bloody laptop on the internet from here).

1,5 hours from now I'll be home and upload it asap, is that acceptable?

edit: Seemingly, it was :)

http://www.danwa.net/junk/free.doc

It's called "Free" and it's 1544 words, not counting the title. Disclaimer: contains naughty words and nasty situations.
Still here.

charliechuck

Technically you just missed the deadline, but I'm sure it will be ok.  ;)

We have two entries:

adam100 - Silence - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3172417/1/

Voh - Free -Ã,  http://www.danwa.net/junk/free.doc - Note possible adult content

Let voting commence, please post your vote in this thread along with any reasons for voting etc. Please only vote if you have read both entries. Voting will end Tuesday 17th.

Good luck

voh

Come ON, people! VOTE!

Don't be so selfish that you only check out the contests that you participate in, read the stories, vote. The writing comp might not be the most popular at the moment, but we still need votes  :(
Still here.

adam100

Heh, guess its going to be a draw. :D Vote people so that we can get it over with.

voh

Otherwise we'll have to think up a new contest together  :P

Seriously, people, vote!
Still here.

charliechuck

It doesn't look like anyone's going to vote, which is a shame as I thought both stories were excellent.

Adam100's was not the kind of story I had in mind when setting the topic, however it is very well written, genuinley quite creepy in places and the revenge theme is definately there.

Voh's is a classic revenge story, with Prostitutes, Murders and alcoholism, all good stuff.

In order to end the competition, I'll cast a deciding vote. Sorry Voh, but the winner is adam100 for taking the theme to a different level.

Take it away adam100.

voh

Don't say sorry, I understand completely :)

Grats, adam! Make the new one have a good theme!
Still here.

adam100

Gee, I would thank "everyone" for supporting me but I guess I'll have to narrow it down to you charlieduck. :D Thx to you voh too for providing a considerable(and any whatsoever) competition. :) Now to think of some original theme, going to be harder than the actual writing the story. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk