Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvzare

Welcome to the boards notarobotyet.  :-D

Quote from: notarobotyet on Fri 26/04/2019 11:22:31
Against all odds, though, I'm about to finish my first demo/game/experiment, which I will most certainly post here very soon, I'm thinking probably a week from now (nod).
Sounds like you know how to keep things small. A very useful skill indeed. Most people get overambitious on their first project, and try to make something that would take years for an expert to make. Starting small, is always the best way to go. So great job there, I look forward to seeing your game.

Quote from: notarobotyet on Fri 26/04/2019 11:22:31
I can't draw or design to save my life, but I'm really invested in the idea of learning how to do pixel art
As someone who couldn't draw to save their life as well, up until a few years ago. Here's some friendly advice, traditional drawing skills translate into pixel art skills. I don't know how, but when I started practicing with a pencil, I suddenly found myself able to make decent pixel art.
So draw everyday. Get a pad (something cheap will do), find a comic you like the artstyle in, and everyday draw a panel from that comic. Don't trace, use it as a reference. Try to enlarge the panel to cover the entire page. After you've filled in the entire pad, you'll be able to draw. Not very well, but you'll definitely have the basics. And unfortunately there's no other way to learn those basics. It's like riding a bicycle, you've got to do it to learn it.

Good luck!  :-D

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 26/04/2019 16:54:18
Sounds like you know how to keep things small. A very useful skill indeed. Most people get overambitious on their first project, and try to make something that would take years for an expert to make. Starting small, is always the best way to go. So great job there, I look forward to seeing your game.

Thank you! I guess it also comes from the wish to see something finished, even if it's short and simple. It feels really satisfactory to say "hey, I actually finished this and it's playable!", and that in turn is a huge morale boost for whatever project you get into after that.

Quote from: Danvzare
As someone who couldn't draw to save their life as well, up until a few years ago. Here's some friendly advice, traditional drawing skills translate into pixel art skills. I don't know how, but when I started practicing with a pencil, I suddenly found myself able to make decent pixel art.
So draw everyday. Get a pad (something cheap will do), find a comic you like the artstyle in, and everyday draw a panel from that comic. Don't trace, use it as a reference. Try to enlarge the panel to cover the entire page. After you've filled in the entire pad, you'll be able to draw. Not very well, but you'll definitely have the basics. And unfortunately there's no other way to learn those basics. It's like riding a bicycle, you've got to do it to learn it.

Good luck!  :-D

That sounds like really solid advice! Drawing has always been one of THOSE things that I could never get even _remotely_ good at, but now that I have a real motivation to get better, things might pan out differently ;-D Thanks for the welcome and the tips!

Laura Hunt

I was trying to edit my post and what I did apparently was quote it and it looks like I can't delete it? Um, sorry, please ignore this.

LionOhDay

Hello AGS people.

You can call me Lion.

I work at an escape room, and DM in my free time. Recently found out about Adventure Game Studios, and discovered it was the engine one of my favorite game series used. (The BlackWell games) So I decided I'd try my hand at making a few.

It's been a journey already and I feel like I've learned a lot.

Have a lot of plans for what I want to work on and am really excited to get to make games.

I draw, but honestly don't feel too proud of my work.

That's one of the things I've really enjoyed about game making, there's a joy in seeing what you've made come to life.

Anyways I look forward to talking and hearing from you all.
Attempts were made.

VampireWombat

Welcome, Lion.

Looking at your Deviantart page, your style could work for some games. If you're not any good at animating you could try using Spriter/Spriter Pro. Or since I see you do some sculpting, you could try making a game using stop motion style graphics. A game using some of the insects you've made could be interesting.

LionOhDay

Thanks for the tip about Spriter I'll certainly check it out. Seems like really useful software.

Glad you liked some of my stuff, those bugs were fun to make though it's been years since I've done anything like those.

Thanks for the welcome. :)
Attempts were made.

VampireWombat

You're welcome. I just played a few minutes of Rafstroom. Really good for a first attempt. If you ever decide to join in MAGs and want help making an rpg/adventure game hybrid, let me know. Something that has elements of games like Planescape: Torment mixed with elements of Unavowed might suit you given the information you've given.

Marcin K.

Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

My name is Marcin. I was born in 1976 in Poland which means I remember 80s but the ones when buying toilet paper was an Indiana Jones' kind of challenge :)

I'm a man of many trades (and master of none ;-) ). I had few dreams as a kid. One was to make cartoon animations which is what I do for living now. Other one was to make computer games. Especialy adventure games. I had a small affair with simple programming yet my IT studies was as dissaster so I followed the filmmaking dreams. I tried to make live action videos too but I hate to get up early and go 200km to some God forgotten location :)

I've heard about AGS earlier but never had an occasion to take a closer look. I did it week ago and my long forgotten dreams fell on me like pile of bricks. I made some tests and looks like I can figure this stuff out and one day make some small yet enjoyable game. That's my kind of middle age crisis :D

Making long story short: I have experience in filmmaking, shooting, lighting, editing, compositing, illustrating, animating, directing, screenwriting. I collect stamps, vinyl records, work with kids in spare time, got two cats and my girlfriend sailed across the Atlantic with all-chicks crew :)

I'll be lurking for a while (I've been a moderator for 10 years - I know how it is when people ask the same questions over and over) before I'll have something to show but if I could help with some graphic/animation/video stuff let me know.

Cassiebsg

Hi Marcin and welcome  :-D

Nice résumé.  (laugh) I would suggest you to try joining efforts with someone and try a MAGS. It's a great way to test ones skills under time presure and have a feeling of the needs of a game. ;) Since there's a lot you can offer, you probably just need someone to help you coding.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Marcin K.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 08/08/2019 19:56:00
Hi Marcin and welcome  :-D

Nice résumé.  (laugh) I would suggest you to try joining efforts with someone and try a MAGS. It's a great way to test ones skills under time presure and have a feeling of the needs of a game. ;) Since there's a lot you can offer, you probably just need someone to help you coding.
Thank you. I was born to be renaissance man :)
I still need to learn about the local customs and stuff but it sounds interesting. I have quite a big library of graphic resources: I make one music video series for over three years (it could be translated as "The Singing Toddlers") and I'm thinking about making games with those backgrounds and characters. I like creating for kids :)

Tapwated

Hi everybody! I've been lurking the forums for hints and tips for about a month now and I thought it's about time I introduce myself to this lovely community. I'm a complete newbie getting my feet wet with AGS working on a medium-scale project.
When I'm not pursuing this masochistic hobby, I'm a designer and animator.

The project I'm currently working on is an attempt to break free from the most typical linear adventure games formula, offering countless options and different endings. It's already given me quite a few headaches but with the help of these forums and the manual I've managed to overcome any problems encountered so far.
I'm learning a bit of coding for the first time in my life through AGS and it's a very exciting experience, I'm really thankful to the people who worked on this software.

Jack

Welcome.

Sounds like an interesting project that I'd like to see. AGS has a pretty solid scripting language, and the IDE spoils me a bit sometimes with its autocomplete.

Tapwated

Thank you! And yes, the autocomplete is a blessing

JackPutter

Hello everyone! I figured I should introduce myself here as yesterday I submitted my first ever game! I've been looking into AGS for a while since I have always loved point-and-click games, and when I saw this month's MAGS topic I had a fully-formed idea pop into my head almost instantly. So, I decided to finally buckle down and make something myself!

I have absolutely no experience when it comes to scripting, art, animation, or anything else game-making related so these forums have been extremely valuable as a reference. Between the AGS manual and the posts here I have been able to teach myself a lot! I'm really looking forward to getting to know all you lovely people (and the software!) a lot better over the coming months.

Danvzare

Quote from: JackPutter on Sat 29/02/2020 15:19:03
Hello everyone! I figured I should introduce myself here as yesterday I submitted my first ever game! I've been looking into AGS for a while since I have always loved point-and-click games, and when I saw this month's MAGS topic I had a fully-formed idea pop into my head almost instantly. So, I decided to finally buckle down and make something myself!

I have absolutely no experience when it comes to scripting, art, animation, or anything else game-making related so these forums have been extremely valuable as a reference. Between the AGS manual and the posts here I have been able to teach myself a lot! I'm really looking forward to getting to know all you lovely people (and the software!) a lot better over the coming months.

Well from just looking at the screenshots of your first game, I can safely say you've done better than I did when I first started off. I look forward to seeing more of you in the coming months.  :-D

Welcome to the forums!

JackPutter

That is such a lovely thing to say, Danvzare! Thank you so much for such a warm welcome!

Slasher

Hi JackPutter,

Welcome to the ags community.

You have made a great start with your 1st game and I hope to see more games from you...

TheNewSon

Hello everybody!  :-[

My name is Denilson, which sounds like "the new son" (thus my nickname, hehe). I live in Brazil, I'm 30 years old, and I'm an aspiring game designer. I worked on a few fan-translations and RPG Maker games over the last years (see my "poortfolio" below). I guess I'm good at programming and writing, but that's it... so I truly envy people who can draw their own assets for their games.

I'm a huge fan of Hifumi Kono's Clock Tower, specifically the first one released in 1995 for Super Nintendo (a.k.a. "Clock Tower: The First Fear"). And that's basically why I'm here! I want to make a game deeply inspired by my favorite horror games, movies and novels! I've been working on a game concept for nearly 2 years: I call it The Matriarch Project. But since I can't draw anything, I've been having a hard time to start production...

Well, I've never used AGS, but I've been thinking about using it to make my game ever since I played Alan Van Drake's Wretcher. Recently, I also discovered Jorry and Metaphobia, and that's what ultimately convinced me to give AGS a try. So here I am! Rock you like a hurricane! But I'm not here only to learn how to use AGS... I hope I can make some friends too! And discover many more Clock-Towerish games out there, hehe!

MY "POORTFOLIO":
Spoiler

Clock Tower [Super Nintendo]:
Fan-translation, worked as sole translator, 2012.

Harvest Moon: Back To Nature [PlayStation]:
Fan-translation, worked as sole translator, 2016.

Liber Spiritus [RPG Maker XP]:
Non-commercial game, worked as sole developer, 2016. (No available links since it was removed.)

Lycah [RPG Maker XP]:
Commercial game, hired as "eventer", 2017.

Ironborn [RPG Maker MV]:
Commercial game, hired as "eventer", 2018.

Danse Macabre [RPG Maker MV]:
Cancelled game, hired as "eventer", 2019. (No available links since it was cancelled.)

Blood Knot [RPG Maker MV]:
Commercial game, hired as "eventer", 2020.

The Matriarch [Adventure Game Studio?]:
Cancelled project, did not get past conceptual stage at all. (No available links since it was cancelled.)
[close]

arj0n

Welcome on the forums here, TheNewSon!

As I love the horror genre, I like and remember the original Clock Tower game.
And yes, AGS games like Wretcher, Jorry (been tester for that one) and Metaphobia are great titles too.

Hope you manage to make some productions with AGS.
Should be doable, since there're lot's of info to be found on the forums and there's always people willing to help you out.
Good luck on The Matriarch!

ndekaise

Hi everyone !

My name is Nicolas (Dekaise, so the pseudo ndekaise :D ) I'm a 40 years old web and mobile dev from Belgium, big fan of point and click games, and I just want to try to make my own. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk