Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashPL

Hi and hello, Crash/Kurasiu/CrashPL here. :D Actually, I've been lurking around this forum since that faithful December afternoon of 2009, when I discovered the AGS editor/engine for the first time (I played some of the AGS games in the past, but didn't know they were actually done using AGS), looking for some scripting tips, along with reading the scripting reference. And well, of all the engines/frameworks I've been using (irrlicht, XNA, Unity, GM...), you always were the most helpful and friendly bunch. :D

As about some boring facts about myself... I'm a 24-years-old engineer (computer science, Interactive Computer Graphics field-of-study) from Poland, hoping to get a master-of-science degree soon. I decided to stick with the gaming industry in 2010, starting as a tester/QA in a certain company, and doing truly-anything-else-game-related as a freelancer. Right now I mostly do designing stuff (though I can also code and draw things, but I'm not a huge fan of it, to be honest). Other than that I also like vintage/retro PCs, 2d animation techniques, biology/science in general and doing picross puzzles. ;)

So once again - hello to everyone and thanks for everything you taught me through all these years. :D

Fitz

Welcome -- though truly I'm not the one who should be doing the welcoming part, it seems you've been around longer than I have (although by mere months -- I found AGS via ThreeOhFour's games in the spring of 2010). Anyway, nice to have you here, looks like you'll be a valuable addition to our friendly bunch.

Also... przejmujemy tÃ,,â,,¢ stronÃ,,â,,¢. Jest nas tu tylu, Š¼e nic nas nie powstrzyma! (laugh)

koopin07

Hi I am Korrell, I never worked with AGS before but my cousin IceyFresh1 told me about it since i script in Roblox and use Lua. So yeah, I'm Really new around here but i'm hoping to make my first game using AGS and to get to know the community better since my cousin recommended it.

CaptainD

Welcome Korrell!  Hope you enjoy using AGS. ;-D

smithowain

Hi. I have recently given Ags a go. I want to make a puzzle game for students studying English in Japan in the style of the goblins games. I`ve made two attempts. I dont have great recording equipment so the sound in the first episode is really bad quality. Please take a look at the games and let me know what you think.
Owain Smith
p.s. If you search for "totti" in the ags game search bar you should find them.
Thanks a lot

koopin07

Quote from: CaptainD on Sun 10/08/2014 09:52:39
Welcome Korrell!  Hope you enjoy using AGS. ;-D
Thank you ill try my best

Dadalus

Hi all,

Joined about a week ago (though Ive been using AGS for about 3 months), thought Id better introduce myself.

I'm a man in his forties, currently in a long term relationship with my couch (although its refusing to talk to me at the moment). The last time I programed a game it was Othello/Reversi on the old BBC Micro (yes I'm that old), using BASIC and assembly language.

I'm an enthusiastic amateur programmer, mostly experienced in Visual Basic. Its been over 5 years since Ive done any serious coding.

I think I've got a good visual eye, but I find it difficult to imagine places and characters. I'm better at drawing than painting.

Currently out of work and bored I wanted something that would combine art & programming whilst I search for work, so I'm currently getting to grips with AGS and Illustrator. Not only that I have to learn creative writing.

I'm genuinely surprised (in a good way) by the generous and courteous responses to my handful of posts. You get so used to abusive comments elsewhere on the net, that this is like a breath of fresh air.

Thank you for melting a cynics heart.
This has been a 'Mouse fetishist' approved message.

bgordebak

Hello everybody!

My name is Bahri Gordebak, you can call me Bahri if you'd like. I'm a 37 year-old guy from Turkey with an undying love for 2D games, especially PnC adventures.

I'm a novelist in my country, and I work on some programming projects as a hobby. I worked on some FOSS projects and finally I decided to move on to games. I finished some very small game projects in Love2D before moving into adventure game dev. You can find one of my games here: One Way To Go

I also made some very short IF games with Inform7. I don't know if they can be called games though. They're just trials at interactive flash fiction as I call them. You can google me to find some of the games. I don't have a website of my own.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to develop some adventure games with AGS soon.

If you've read this far, thank you. And so, hello!

Edit: I'm a Linux user and AGS runs fine on Wine, but I'd really like it if AGS could use mono and run on Linux natively.

SilverSpook

Hi all!

I've been developing or modding games sporadically as a job and then a hobby for about fifteen years.  I've worked mostly with FPS engines like Unreal, Half Life.  My biggest project (if not quite a tour de force) was Terminus Machina, a Deus Ex 1 total conversion in which I basically went padded-room insane doing everything from writing to programming to concept art to UI to 3D modeling to music et. al.  While the game made a front-page splash on the Moddb site and got mid-90% on the ratings.... NEVER AGAIN!!!  For one, I almost got divorced and fired from all three of my dayjobs and had CPS take my kids away.  For two, Deus Ex is a proprietary engine whose clandestine and eldritch copyright webwork between Warren Spector, Eidos, Square, blah blah means I could never make a dime off the thing outside of begging for Starbucks chump change donations and a handful of Bandcamp soundtrack sales.  For three... I've been having difficulty escalating to that William Burroughs-grade state of insanity to work that hard, which is probably a good thing.  Wifey and shrinky say so, anyway.

So -- Adventure Game Studio!  Yes! 

I'm at the core a writer / programmer.  Mostly I'm a poser artist, and I'm only a musician when I'm trying to get laid -- which is unnecessary given the marriage hookup, nowadays.  So it seems AGS will be the perfect rehab for me.

The game I want to make is an amorphous blob consisting of 20,000 random acts of futurism, flavorful but fragmented character prototypes, and subversive Marxist diatribe disguised as printed emails, item descriptions, and loading screen backstory. 

But essentially, it's Game of Thrones meets Blademancer... I mean Neurorunner.  The Bladetrix.  You know what I mean.

Instead of the Dashiel Hammetian neo-noir detective, you get to be the CEO, the Tyrell dude.  Except the Tywin Lannister of 2060 has performed a corporate coup on your formerly market-dominating megacorp, and you have to restore your family's "House" to its former glory.  That's the elevator pitch anyway.

I was working with the Shadowrun Returns engine but... there are more ebola patients surviving than players on SRR at the moment, and it's $30 to get the game and expansion needed, and you cant program, add sound, models, music, can't sell your game....  So again, Adventure Game Studio!!!  Yeah!

The thing is workingly titled Neofeud.  I want to port this thing to AGS.

Go check it out maybe if you haven't already filed for a restraining order.

Retro Wolf

I like the cut of your jib sir, you're going to fit in nicely!

SilverSpook

Fantastic!  Thanks for the welcome.  I like it here already!

kconan

Ernest

Hello adventure game fans!

I am Ernest, 30 years of age and a big fan of point and click adventure games. My first adventure game I ever played was Inca II. Quite an odd game with some weird stuff, but boy did I enjoy it! My second game was Loom and just like the games that followed, it felt magical to play. Ah, I get goose bumps even thinking about those good old days. My favourites are Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness, Discworld and the Monkey Island series! And I enjoyed many more.

I hope one day to have made my own adventure game. Who knows in the future! :)

Tarison

So, hi everyone! I'm Nick, here as Tarison but generally run by Nicktatorship these days across the internet. I'm fairly inexperienced with AGS, but uh... new? (laugh)

I've had a little nostalgia bug over the past few weeks, and feel like maybe I want to try doing this once again.

I'm a sometimes programmer (well, out of hours), love writing, and really miss adventure games. I did some stuff with AGI Studio way back when it was still an active scene, and uh... looks like it has been a decade since I was last around.

nickherc

Hi, I'm Nick, I love playing adventure games, big fan of Leisure Suit Larry series and Monkey Island, which I consider to be one of the best looking games of all time (1&2). Otherwise I'm a novelist with a passion for gaming, I prefer retro games, it's not nostalgia or anything, I just think they are better than the modern ones. That would be all for now :).

TamaraRyan

Hello all!
   Just thought I'd introduce myself! I'm a voice actress and I love adventure games. Some of my favorites are Kings Quest 6, Gobliiins (1,2 and 3), Kyrandia: Hand of fate, Machinarium, The Walking Dead, and The Wolf Among Us. 

I look forward to lurking around and contributing however I can.

LimpingFish

Welcome to the forums, Ernest, Tarison, nickherc, and TamaraRyan! ;-D
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Athabel

Hey everyone! I'm Athabel, or Atha if you like. Downloaded AGS yesterday and since have been reading around and watching tutorials. I've always been "into" the process of game development but never actually put my toes in the water, so I figure AGS will be a great start; it's so user friendly!

I have concepts and 1 completed script for 3 games that I'd eventually like to get around to doing. At the moment, I'm working on background art for #1 and plan to announce the game on the New Game part of the forums after I can put together a good 10 minutes of gameplay :)

Nice to be a part of the community!

CaptainD

Hi Athabel!

Welcome aboard - look forward to seeing your 3 games (no pressure, but you've kind of committed yourself to making all 3 now :-D)

miguel

So when is Athabel trilogy coming out? I hate it when people fail their deadlines! :=
Working on a RON game!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk