Animation Competition: Dec 21 to January 1 (WINNERS ANNOUNCED)

Started by Coolio, Thu 21/12/2006 04:01:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Coolio

Animation Competition!
December 21 to January 1
Rules:
-A sprite is supplied for competitors to animate according to a given theme.
-The host of the competition decides on the winner.
-The winner must host the next competition.
-Each competition lasts for 11 days.
This round's theme is:
Emoticons!
And here's the sprite:
We all know those little faces that give emotion to text messages. Well I want to see some!
I want you to animate the sprite to in some way display an emotion (or even a range of emotions). You are allowed to animate it in any way as long as you feel that it in some way conforms to the theme. For example, instead of showing it simply frowning you could have it bludgeoning another smiley with some sort of blunt object! Or you could do something slightly less violent ::). You get the idea.
The sprite might seem somewhat limiting as to its animatability (is that a word?), but I hope this won't be a constraint to your creativity. You are also allowed to add things such as hands, eyebrows or props etc.
Now get animating!

Edit: It turns out that December 32 doesn't actually exist. ::) I don't know how I missed that lol.
mmmmm... sparkly

Mikko

I am sure that you know that there is no 32nd of December. :)

monkey0506

Baron

Alright, so there's the smiley emoticon, the surprised emoticon, the confused emoticon, the kissy emoticon and the crying emoticon.  But where, I ask, is the gross out emoticon?  Not the "I'm grossed out -barf! -barf!" emoticon, but the "I'm going to gross you out" emoticon.  Well, if you've ever found yourself at a loss for emoticonnical expressiveness in this regard, lament no further!  Presenting the Gross You Out emoticon:

x2

Does anyone know how to sell this kind of stuff to Microsoft?

EDIT: Thanks Ikari & coolio!  I've resized the little guy so that he can actually be used as an MSN emoticon: .  Unfortunately the splat exceeds the 50x50 pixel limit slightly, but I'm not going to redraw/reanimate it just for that.  Feel free to download him and use him in your correspondence to gross out your friends!

i k a r i

Sorry for the unuseful post, I just had to say WOW!, thats an awesome animation BaRoN, amazing  :D
QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

Coolio

mmmmm... sparkly

theatrx

I wish I had more time but the holidays ran away with the time... Nonetheless... here is my entry...

Life is a banquet and most poor sonsofbitches are starving to death

neelhound

By the way, is there any way that i can save these emoticons to be used on msn??

veryweirdguy

Yes!

Go to "My emoticons" then "create" - it's pretty self explanitory from there.

neelhound

i am currently using unfreez, where i am changing the image on paint then making them into a sequence on unfreez. It does not make it transparent. It does not enable me to make the flow of movement very well. Is there any other recommended animator I could use to do this?

Mr Flibble

Quote from: Mikko on Thu 21/12/2006 07:56:08
I am sure that you know that there is no 32nd of December. :)

Of course not. And we certainly don't all go and have a Naked Chicks and Beer party without you.

No siree.

What we have here is your basic combo of eye twitches, D:, and then a horrible self loathing for being so D: in the previous frames.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Coolio

Well it's about 20 hours till this competition closes so if there are any last minute entries then get them in here! I can however extend the deadline if anyone needs more time. We've gotten a lot of nice entries so far and will hopefully get some more.
mmmmm... sparkly

Coolio

And so the deadline comes on another animation competition. I'd first like to congratulate everyone on their entries. There are a lot of nice animations here, and you've all managed to express the theme in your own way. Firstly I'll say a few words on each.

Baron: You have a truly wonderful animation here. It is smooth, expressive and well thought out. The idea is also very creative and fits the theme well.
R4L: Another nice entry. Although a few more in-between frames wouldn't have gone astray, you have once again captured the theme in your own way. My only question would be why the emoticon doesn't look an awful lot like the original sprite, but this could just be because of limitations posed by your software.
theatrx: I don't totally understand what is happening in this entry, but it is nevertheless well animated. The animation is smooth, and well implemented.
neelhound: Although the limitations of your animation program are evident, you still have a nice entry with a good idea behind it. I would also like to congratulate you on your comitment to keep trying and improving with your animations. I hope we will see more from you in the future.
Mr Flibble: A very expressive animation. The shifty eye movements and shape of the mouth are both very well done and convey the emotions perfectly. Once again however, a few more in-between frames would have helped a lot in smoothing out the motion.

And now for the awards!
Third place and the bronze emoticon go to: theatrx!
Second place and the silver emoticon go to: MR Flibble!
And finally, first place and the gold emoticon go to: Baron!

Once again, thankyou everyone for entering. Now its over to Baron to start the next round!
mmmmm... sparkly

Baron

Nice Trophies!  Congratulations to all the participants: don't be shy about entering the next contest [which shall begin shortly].

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk