AGS 2.8 alpha 8 preview

Started by Pumaman, Mon 15/01/2007 23:24:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

So, 2.72 was released in July, and there have been no new betas since then .. what's been happening for the last 6 months?

Well, partly I've started to get RSI which has meant I've had to severely cut back on my computer use.

But, in the time that I have been using the PC, I've been working on AGS 2.8. What does this have in store? Well, there have been various requests for features in the editor that simply weren't possible because of the editor's design, and its code was so messy that I was having trouble understanding it whenever I had to make updates.

So, I decided it was time to cut the losses and rewrite the editor from scratch. This alpha preview release is earlier on in the development process than where I'd normally unleash something on the public, but since it's a major change I thought it'd be good to get feedback early in case there are any big problems with it.

I've tried to design the new editor to be more Visual Studio-esque, so now rather than having a tree list with the main panes on it, and then sub-lists of Views (for example), it's all combined into a single treeview. You can also open multiple windows.

Requirements

The editor is now written using the .NET Framework 2.0. This is a free download from Microsoft, and it's also on Windows Update.
If you get an error about "mscoree.dll", then that means you are missing the framework.

WHAT??? Does this mean people will need .NET Framework to play my games?

Relax! No, only the editor uses the framework. You'll need it to make games, but the AGS Game Engine does not use .NET and so people will not need it in order to play your games.

What does this alpha release actually do?

It now does most of the main editor functionality.
The following features are NOT yet implemented:
* can't scroll around scrolling room if running editor at 800x600
* Various import and export options
* help file, general help system
* rebuild rooms automatically if script changes

What feedback do you want?

General feedback is welcome (ie. opinions on how the new panes have been designed, etc), along with any bug reports in the functionality that is there. But at the moment please don't make feature requests -- I want to get all the existing functionality implemented before adding anything new.

This alpha should be able to import games from 2.72 -- please try this out. If you get any errors, let me know.
HOWEVER, if you save the game it will overwrite files, so make a copy of your game to load into this version. Do not save over the only copy of your game using this alpha release.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/ags28alpha8a.zip

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Wow. Yet another big change that'll take quite awhile to get used to, but which will, no doubt, prove to be the best decision in the future.

Downloading the newest NET framework from your link, if I have any more comments on this preview I'll let you know.

EDIT - Honestly? I prefer the look and feel of the old one, but then, I've grown fond to it... HOWEVER, I have a feeling I could come to love this new incarnation of AGS. It seems so much more "fluid", and more user-friendly. Oh, and I *love* the handy tips that come up on the statusbar. Great going once again, CJ!

EDIT 2 - Mind you, trying to make a button or a label on a BUI seems to go bad. Ok, I know this is just a test, but thought I'd let you know.

Code: ags
************** Exception Text **************
System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at drawGUIAt(Int32 , Int32 , Int32 , Int32 , Int32 , Int32 , Int32 , Int32 )
   at drawGUI(Int32 hdc, Int32 x, Int32 y, GUI guiObj, Int32 scaleFactor, Int32 selectedControl)
   at AGS.Native.NativeMethods.DrawGUI(Int32 hDC, Int32 x, Int32 y, GUI gui, Int32 scaleFactor, Int32 selectedControl)
   at AGS.Editor.GUIEditor.bgPanel_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
AGSEditor
    Assembly Version: 2.80.0.1
    Win32 Version: 2.80.0.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/rui/Ambiente%20de%20trabalho/ags28alpha1/AGSEditor.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Gregjazz

Wow!

I knew you were working on some big update. :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I'm quite impressed, CJ.  You've started fixing essentially all of the issues I ever had with the original interface and more.  A few things I'd like to see:

1.  Drag and drop functionality between sprite manager and the view list by allowing you to display both areas simultaneously (like a top pane for the manager and a bottom pane for the views).  Drag and drop functionality between any areas of value in general would be welcome.

2.  An option you can toggle that will auto-load the views based on the structure of the sprite manager (creating the same folder structure and loading in the views from the sprite manager folders).  For people who have structured sprite lists that will save massive amounts of time essentially creating the same layout as they already have.

3.  Dynamic sizing for folder limits and the like (views, etc).  This will greatly benefit those who use very little in the way of folders by reducing the compile size and will equally benefit those of us who need more than the static limits.

4.  An option to tile the tab panes vertically so you can view more than one at once (goes back to option 1).

5.  For the interaction editor I think with the room scripts clearly available you could have scripting to take care of hotspots and regions (your second suggestion), but I would highly recommend making objects a separate entity from rooms at last.  Much like character sprites, it would benefit pretty much everyone if they were independent and could have their settings adjusted outside of a room, and it would also be highly convenient to have them all there in one list.

6.  Folders for dialogs as well, so those can also be categorized by the person speaking.

As for the way the interaction editor itself works now, if each object/character/room has a default script to begin with you could just script the interactions right there in the script.  Perhaps have the default script generate sections and headings for such things (a heading for mouse modes, stepping on regions, the like).

I am greatly impressed by this new direction.  Bravo.

GarageGothic

This is going to take a lot of getting used to. But so far I like it. Especially being able to have multiple scripts open at the same time is something I've really missed before.

Is there any way (a hotkey or something) to "replace" a tab instead of opening a new ones all the time? Closing the old ones first seem a bit of a pain.

strazer

The .net framework isn't supported by Wine in Linux and probably won't be for quite a while. Looks like I'm stuck with AGS v2.72. :(

Edit: My best chances seem to be getting .net v1.1 to work. Would that suffice for the AGS editor or do I need v2.0?

Gregjazz

In the view manager, it'd be cool if you could double-click on a frame to change its graphics, just like in the old AGS.

Kweepa

Awesome stuff!

To make it even more Visual Studio-like:
* ability to rearrange panels (or just switch the tree view from side to side)
* Ctrl-F6, Shift-Ctrl-F6 to switch between tabbed windows
* Ctrl-` (or another hotkey) to switch between source and header (for global script/module script)
* a "More Windows" dialog which shows all open windows and allows you to close/switch to
* buttons to scroll through the tabs

Features:
* a colour selector dialog would be nice, so we wouldn't have to use the colour finder except for scripting (and even then, it would be nice to right click in code, select a colour selector from the right click menu, and paste the selected colour as a comma separated RGB list directly into code)

Bugs:
* the current window's tab isn't always visible if you have a lot of open windows

Feature irritations:
* I know this is a .net control problem, but I hate that to change a drop-down option, you have to select the option, then click on the tiny arrow on the right of the control (or double click to cycle through). Please think about rewriting the drop down control (and its parents?) so that a second click anywhere in the control drops down the list of options!

More later...
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

joelphilippage

Wow I really like the new layout. its a lot easier with the tabs at the top but it will take a little bit to get used to the menu bar being on the right side and not the left.
It looks really great.

scotch

Can't you run it at all in Mono (on linux)? I don't know how good the forms support is currently, that was very much in progress when I last looked at it.

If anything, the shift to .net should make the thing more portable once the open source .net implementations are up to scratch. Might suck for non windows for now, though.

I like the new layout, nice work. Lots of ideas but nothing fundemental, so I'll let you get it more fully implemented for now.

Gilbert

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 15/01/2007 23:24:45
So, I decided it was time to cut the losses and rewrite the editor from scratch.
Ah well for the third time, at least...

The editor is now written using the .NET Framework 2.0. This is a free download from Microsoft, and it's also on Windows Update.
That means, I won't be able to try it with this computer at work. :(

Actually what I'm thinking is, if the editor is going through complete overhaul, maybe it's also necessary for the engine, so to fix some of the inconsistencies and limits (like the low game res. which forces placement of objects in even coordinates in a high res. game for example) which may be hard or impossible to solve if we continue with the current codes, maybe it can be done in V3.0 though (without caring for downward compatibilities).

Quote from: Rui "Trovatore" Pires on Mon 15/01/2007 23:29:36
Honestly? I prefer the look and feel of the old one, but then, I've grown fond to it...
I prefer RoomMake (not RoomEdit). :=

Anyway, I now have reasons good enough to stick to V2.62 from now on.

R4L

Lookin good CJ! Hope that RSI doesn't hinder you too much. Can't wait to try it out.

strazer

Quote from: scotch on Tue 16/01/2007 01:44:13
Can't you run it at all in Mono (on linux)? I don't know how good the forms support is currently, that was very much in progress when I last looked at it.

If anything, the shift to .net should make the thing more portable once the open source .net implementations are up to scratch. Might suck for non windows for now, though.

I haven't looked at it that way. For now, it's a Windows application and doesn't run on Linux like that (no .Net-support in Wine), it would need to be ported and I can only hope someone will do that someday.

And before anyone suggests it: No, I won't run a virtual machine and buy a Windows license for just one program. ;)

AGA

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Tue 16/01/2007 01:17:47
* Ctrl-F6, Shift-Ctrl-F6 to switch between tabbed windows

Or CTRL-TAB and CTRL-SHIFT-TAB, which most tabbed programmes support.

Ishmael

Oi, looking nice. I hope the autocomplete won't be as hopeless as it was before. I mean, if you start typing "but", autocomplete appears, you backspace the word away, and put in partenthesis for example AGS ignores the parenthesis and fills in what's selected in the autocomplete list.

And you better put the Import background etc. buttons back to the room editor, too. I still look for them every time before remembering the options are in the silly menu :(
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Radiant

monkey0506

1) It would be nice if there were a prompt to save your scripts when closing (if they have been modified)...;)
2) Saving the game doesn't appear to actually save changes to the script...?
3) This might just be me/my computer...but autocomplete isn't working?

I can't replicate Rui's problem. I get no errors.

Khris

It's you ;):

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 15/01/2007 23:24:45It does most of the main editor panes; the following major features are **not** yet implemented:
[...]
* Script editor autocomplete

Great stuff, I love the tabbed editing of multiple things.
One small suggestion: I think the windows should open after a single click on a tree item rather than a double-click.

Great work, looking forward to 2.8 RC1.

Pumaman

QuoteEDIT 2 - Mind you, trying to make a button or a label on a BUI seems to go bad. Ok, I know this is just a test, but thought I'd let you know.

Thanks for this, you're right. It only happens if you create a GUI from the blank default game; if you load in another game then it seems to work ok. I'll take a look at it.

QuoteEdit: My best chances seem to be getting .net v1.1 to work. Would that suffice for the AGS editor or do I need v2.0?

The editor is built with 2.0, so having 1.1 wouldn't work.

QuoteAh well for the third time, at least...

Hehe yes, this is the second time the editor will have been rewritten since AGS 2.0; maybe it is time for the engine to suffer the same fate. However, let's take things one step at a time!

QuoteI hope the autocomplete won't be as hopeless as it was before. I mean, if you start typing "but", autocomplete appears, you backspace the word away, and put in partenthesis for example AGS ignores the parenthesis and fills in what's selected in the autocomplete list.

That's not a bug, it's a feature :P
If you type "SetGameSp" and then press (, it's a shortcut to automatically completing the word and starting the function call.

Quote1) It would be nice if there were a prompt to save your scripts when closing (if they have been modified)...
2) Saving the game doesn't appear to actually save changes to the script...?

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention these in my first post. They need to be implemented.

3) This might just be me/my computer...but autocomplete isn't working?

As KhrisMUC has pointed out, read my first post!

Thanks to everyone for all your feedback so far, I'll bear it in mind whilst continuing development.

monkey0506

I did read it. At least twice. But it's not working on my computer. A reboot and a couple of stabs through the power source with sharp blades should help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk