Background Blitz : May 26 - June 8 (WINNER ANNOUNCED)

Started by TheJBurger, Fri 25/05/2007 23:46:05

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJBurger

The next topic is:
Seasons

RULES
Create a background that is a clear representation of one of the four seasons of the year, Spring, Summer, Autumn, or Winter. For example, you could create a scene of flowers blooming [spring], a hot sunny evening at a park [summer], a colorful street filled with fallen leaves [autumn], or a snowy cottage [winter].

The background can be outdoors, or indoors, but it should be recognizable which season it takes place in.
The rules won't be too strict, so don't get worried if the scene might be mistaken for summer/spring.

You can use any size/colors you want, but keep it managable.

Voting will begin at the end of June 8 and last 24 hours, or until enough votes are in.

If you have any questions, ask away.

Da_Elf

no fair. we only have rainy and dry season here

SinSin

I thought I'd give winter a go
Hope to place edit
Currently working on a project!

cobra79

Winter

I am quite satisfied how it turned out. :)

2x

Andail

Bohnito, very nice picture. It's not a perfect background, since it features sprites/characters, so people might prefer to vote for "pure" backgrounds. Not that it matters, just a warning :)

Bohnito

thanks, maybe im going to change it :)

joelphilippage

Fall is my favorite time of the year.
2x

CodeJunkie

Andail

Winter here too. Dunno why, I hate winters...

Not much to look at, just whipped up something atmospheric. It's not even much of a background, more like a cut-scene thingie...ah well :)

raddicks

Just a glimpse, it might not seem like a puzzle, but the shed is locked, you can probably interactive with the environment, probably go back inside the house and look for some shears, uncover some plants to expose a pipe, maybe cut it to drain the fountain to reveal a key.

Textures courtesy of 3D Total Textures, and plants are various models I collected because its a bit tricky being organic (need more revision)

Daniel Thomas

- SUMMER -

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3272/seasontestbn6.png

"At the bottom of the waterfall the wickedly witchy witch lived. People often had the prejustice against witched, evil and troublemaker they thought.
This witch was actually a nice old lady who didnt do any harm. Something she did though was having a really bad temper, but since she lived by the waterfall she would always talk in a loud voice, so you never noticed when she actually was trying to yell at you, but the face sure turned red."

Tried something new, played around some with the photshop brushes. The "design" with curly stuff was on the fly, so it didnt got that well-excecuted.
Everything is on a layer, so the water can be removed and replaced with animations. (before someone points out how hard it would be to animate the waterfall) :)

edit:updated
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Bohnito

hey thats amazing, looks  almost like disney. maybe a bit spongy, but its cool. my first thought was "dammit, hard work to animate the waterfall!" in any case its my favourite so far

SinSin

Currently working on a project!

lilemX

i have spent quite a while on my entery but need just a bit longer please can i ask for a short extention. it should be ready in a couple of hours. thanx :-\

ildu

It's GMT. You have like 10 hours left.

lilemX

ah well at least its in it's not how i wanted it completly but it will do  and thanx ildu  :)
X1

X2

**Edited now in correct file format **

TheJBurger

Awesome backgrounds people.

Voting will start now and last 24 hours, or until enough votes are in.

Voting categories:

Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't
necessarily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the
week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place
you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

Atmosphere - How well the image manages to evoke a certain feeling or mood.

Design - How well the elements in the image are designed,
such as landscapes, buildings, decorations, clouds, doorknobs,
etc.

Composition - How well the elements in the image work
together/are positioned in relation to each other.

Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, i
ncluding appropriate walking distances, a good angle for
character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood
exits, etc.

Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of
rendering.

Anyone is welcome to vote, and it would be
great if all participants could provide their own.
You don't have to vote in all categories, and
if you provide multiple names in a category,
then please be clear about which one is your pick.

Daniel Thomas

Idea - SimB
Atmosphere - lilemx
Design - Bohnito
Composition - Cobra79
Functionality - Cobra79
Technique - Andail
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk