MAGS August: Desert Island

Started by Klaus, Tue 31/07/2007 23:07:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month's guidelines are set by munchiez, winner of the last month's competition.

Topic: Desert Island

- The game should be set on a desert island. There can be other characters on it if you like, but try to keep an impression of the island being quite desolate.

- There must be a character (player or non-player) based on an inanimate object. Whether it can talk or not is up to you.
Examples:
Wilson (volleyball) from Castaway
Milky Joe (coconut on a stick) from The Mighty Boosh.

- One puzzle must involve a seagull or a shark (or both!).

That's it. No further restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by August 26th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Captain Lexington

Alright, nice topic.

I know I say this a lot, but...

Screw it, I'm doing it!

EDIT: Added "Alright, nice topic."

Brad Newsom

Ok, I'm absolutely sure I'll take part in this one. Great theme btw. :D

Snarky

A desert island or a deserted island? There's a difference, you know.

Moox

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 01/08/2007 06:33:40
A desert island or a deserted island? There's a difference, you know.
No there isn't. The term desert island is synonymous with any uninhabited island and does not refer to the geological conditions of it.

Snarky

You're right. I stand corrected. Turns out the term "desert island" comes from a time when "desert" could refer to any uninhabited area, not just an arid region.

Personally, I'd rather be stranded on a dessert island.

Moox

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 01/08/2007 07:55:58
Personally, I'd rather be stranded on a dessert island.
No arguing there :)

GuyLaDouche

Intriguing idea...

One question: do mannequins and robots count as inanimate objects?

munchiez

Dessert island... sounds like an awesome place to be stranded, I'm not too sure I'd want rescuing!

Mannequins are definitely OK, I'd say robots are pushing it a bit but if you've got a good idea I say go with it :)

Recluse

Does it literally have to be an island? Or, say a stranded planet?

But then it'd be difficult to include the seagull or shark...

All your verbcoin are belong to us.

Hudders

Quote from: Recluse on Wed 01/08/2007 23:27:59
Does it literally have to be an island? Or, say a stranded planet?

But then it'd be difficult to include the seagull or shark...

Robot seagull... extraterrestrial shark??

Vel

If anyone is in need of some music, drop me a line.

munchiez

Recluse: Yes, it should literally be an island. I suppose it could be a desert island on another planet though. A desert island in an ocean of lava could be an interesting take on the theme.

OneDollar

LOST: The Graphical Adventure, anyone? Nice theme by the way, though I don't have much time on my hands to contribute

Indie Boy

Haha OneDollar I had that idea also ;D
If I can think of a better idea I might enter.
I won't use this login.
Try IndieBoy instead

Play_Pretend

Does it count if your main character is a seagull, since then every puzzle would involve a seagull? :)

theatrx

I'm entering... but probably early.  Splat44 is going to Beta for me... He's a Saint!!!  I have a show opening at the end of the month at my theatre and I really wanted to enter this... so it's now or never... Forgive the short work... but I've worked on this since it was listed for about 12 hours a day since I knew I wouldn't have time later in the month.  It's called... STRANDED... It's short.  I had a shit load of problems but thanks to the forums I think most of them are worked out... LOOK FOR IT... Coming soon to an AGS Forum close to YOU!!!

S   T   R   A   N   D   E   D
Life is a banquet and most poor sonsofbitches are starving to death

Play_Pretend

Son of a- I have to change my title now!  Errrgh! :)

Meh, I probably won't finish in time anyways.  :P

Revan

lol I have to change the title of my game too... Damn it!

Radiant

Actually it would be fun if there were three games with the same name. Or you can call them "Stranded", "STRANDED" and "Stranded??"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk