Background Blitz - 2007-09-25 till 2007-10-09 - Vote!

Started by seaduck, Tue 25/09/2007 09:09:20

Previous topic - Next topic

seaduck

Welcome to this blitz, the theme of which is

Fantastic shipyard(TM)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipyard

Draw a shipyard that is extraordinary in some way. For example:

- steampunk-style that builds flying ships or airships [steampunk's great for industrial buildings!]
   - sci-fi planetary or space shipyard that builds space ships
   - underwater shipyard that builds submarines
   - extraordinary landscape design (think of Cape Suzette from Disney's TaleSpin)
   - anything else, use your imagination!

References: (cool worlds with docks, ships etc.)
   - Star Trek The Motion Picture - space dry dock
   - Disney's TaleSpin universe
   - Alpha Shade universe
   - Mysterious Cities of Gold
   - Ulysses 31

Images of shipyards:
   - google images
   - "Dry" dock from Star Trek the Motion Picture

Images of spaceships:
   - Spaceship Jupiter from Lost in Space
   - Pride of the skies II from Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors

It's supposed to be a background so don't forget to put in enough space for the character to walk (and not extremely far in the distance). You don't have to portray the whole place, just part of it is o.k. It can be a building or just outside structure or a combination, as you like - but I would like to see some ship(s) or part of.

Your background should be usable in AGS, but you can make scrolling backgrounds! For example 480x200, 640x200 targeted for 320x200 resolution are great. Since a shipyard is a big structure, you could benefit from the extra screen space.

Voting will start on the 9th of October in the same categories as the previous blitz.

Hope you like it,
Now go and start painting!

TheJBurger

Airshipyard:

I know, I screwed the perspective up, I'm sorry.

ildu

What are you apologizing for :D? Looks great!

I'd like to just mention that the topic is again wonderous and as if it weren't already becoming an unpleasant habit, I'm gonna try and enter this one :).

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

cat

I am working on an entry too, I hope I will be able to finish it until the deadline.

Sparky

Wow, this is so tempting... unfortunately I don't have time to enter this. Nice concept, very close to home for me. This would fit right into the AGS game I'm working on.

cat

seaduck

Alright, two entries so far... If anyone is still working on an entry or wants to enter, please say so until, say today 20:00 GMT and I will make an extension (of up to a week). Otherwise I will announce the start of voting.

EDIT: Ok, nobody asked for an extension. So now start voting! You can vote until tomorrow (August 10th) 21:00 GMT. August 11th. Come on people, let's have some more votes!

The categories:

Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't
necessarily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the
week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place
you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

Atmosphere - How well the image manages to evoke a certain feeling or mood.

Design - How well the elements in the image are designed,
such as landscapes, buildings, decorations, clouds, doorknobs,
etc.

Composition - How well the elements in the image work
together/are positioned in relation to each other.

Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, i
ncluding appropriate walking distances, a good angle for
character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood
exits, etc.

Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of
rendering.

cobra79

I like cats entry (nice colors) even though it has some slight perspective issues, but my votes go to TheJBurger. Fantastic sky and a great idea. It could be even better imho if it was a little sharper.

Brad Newsom

TheJBurger, very steampunk and polished. All votes to him.

Neil Dnuma

Cat for Functionality, JBurger in the other categories. Nice work!

seaduck

Sorry I forgot to wrap this up last night. A huge thanks both TheJBurger and cat for their beautiful entries. It looks like our winner is TheJBurger. A huge applause, please!  :)

TheJBurger

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Quote from: cobra79 on Thu 11/10/2007 07:11:22
It could be even better imho if it was a little sharper.
Aha, yes. This was due in main part to me only using a fuzzy airbrush. I realized it looked blurry after it was done so I tried to sharpen it up using a photoshop filter, but you know how those go!

Before this thread is locked, I had an idea for the next blitz but I wanted to run it by everyone first.
How would you feel about doing a mockup blitz, where you must draw everything from the characters to the interface along with the background? I have a specific topic in mind, but I'd like to know if this would be in the realm of the rules and have participation.

ildu

You know what, that might be a cool thing to do as a voluntary extra. So that if someone wants to do a full or part mockup, he/she will be looked at more favourably when voting. I think the idea is really good, but I fear participation wouldn't be too great, considering how low participation has been lately in the Blitzes.

Or I don't know, maybe it'll motivate people. Ok, I'm in favor :D.

loominous

Sure got my support.

Have thought of proposing it as an activity in the past, but it seemed too similar to the bb to work out.

Nice background btw!
Looking for a writer

Andail

Sure, why not.
Participation fluctuates so much anyway, so don't be afraid to try out something new.

Akatosh

"Mockup Blitz" sounds pretty interesting as an activity... let's hope I'll be able to make up for my lack of drawing talent somehow  :P

Gilbert

I'll say it's worth trying.

Even if it's not successful it will just be an one-off and is harmless.

I'll keep this thread open until you have enough discussion and start the next round.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk