Once Upon A Crime (BETA reached)

Started by , Sun 09/12/2007 02:39:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Ghost presents:

Once Upon A Crime
A Fairytale Whodunnit

Featuring:
* a colourful cast of charismatic characters, including the Steadfast Tin Soldier,
   Captain Hook, Mr. Geppetto and more
* a whacky world in primary colours, cluttered with candy, forests,
   gingerbread cottages and glum castles
* a plot full of sinister puns and an awful lot of gumshoe clichè

The Story
Delivering baskets to remote forest cottages was no longer enough for Red Riding Hood, so she decided to start a new career. Or any career: She took the courses, she bought the equipment, she became a private investigator.

And Parodise surely needs a cunning junior detective right now. A terrible crime has been committed: Someone killed the Big Bad Wolf, and it's up to Red to solve the case.

And if your methods of detectoring include magical potions, an assortment of tooth-pulling candy and threatening suspects to *pout* at them, what can go wrong?

Development Progress:
Story: 90%
Scripting: 65%
Graphics: 70%
Sound/Music: 70%

Tech Sheet
* 320x240 screen resolution, 16bit colour
* 7 "realm locations" with a total of 12 rooms
* 15 characters (though about 9 of them are "supporting" cast only
* SCUMM-type interface with some added niceties
* made with AGS 2.72 (will possibly released as 3.0 game though)

Expected completion date: January 12th (or shortly before Duke Nukem Forever is released)

Check out the visuals- they are in colour!

Enter a world of fairytale lore!

Discuss important matters with military officials!

Be adressed by wood!

Bring your insulin!

Unnerve witches!

Note
Some of you may remember me putting a few characters for this game up a long time ago. I needed a break from DITA; the constant glum inside areas and stuff were getting me down. Consider this as a nice little break: Hopefully one you'll enjoy playing  ;)

- Minor Update: 16.12.2008 -
Development Progress:
Story: 100%
Scripting: 80%
Graphics: 85%
Sound/Music: 100%

- Update: 26.12.2008 -
Development Progress:
Scripting: 100%
Graphics: 95%

- LAST UPDATE 30.12.2007 -
Development Progress:
Scripting: 100%
Graphics: 100%
In-House Testing: 100%

That's it, lads and lasses, the game's done, and the testers have recieved their copies. All that's left is waiting and hoping that there aren't too many bugs!
Happy new year!

Dualnames

Excepting eagerly.. Looks wonderful...
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

LUniqueDan

Great background !
(Everything looks gorgeous.)
12th of January now circled on my calendar.

EDIT : Exception of the stormtrooper's helmet.   
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Ghost

Quote from: LUniqueDan on Sun 09/12/2007 02:59:10

Is the helmet that obvious? On my screen it is hardly visible... merges almost completely into the black walkbehind...

bicilotti

(Big, joyful smile on my face)

Screenshots are catchy and frisky! Geppetto is so fun to look at (what a great sprite!)!

Marvellous Ghost, marvellous!

P.S.: I immediately spotted the helmet, but maybe my screen is too bright.

P.S.S.: I'll gladly test drive it, if you need me of course!

Go, go Red!!!

scalad

This looks great! Can't wait for it to be released!

deadsuperhero

Two words: Freakin' Awesome!
That looks really creative, and a lot of fun to play!
Can't wait!
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

mouthuvmine

Wow. It looks GREAT!

The only bad thing about a release like this, is makes want to get my game done NOW!

Just...thank you...

Nikolas

WOW!

Amazing mate! Amazing!

and SO close! Such an ellegant thread of GIP! Excellent! Darth will be pleased! ;D

Buckethead

wow that's nice!  :D good luck!

Indie Boy

Oh I can't wait. Looks and sounds great. A late Christmas present for sure  ;D
I won't use this login.
Try IndieBoy instead

stevetheblack

This does look pretty awesome.  Looking forward to this :)

Akatosh

Cool... looks really nice, maybe a little too bright for my taste, but still - sounds promising!

Ghost

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. That's the stuff that keeps a man going.

@Nik: To be honest, I just used the Pirates of Pestulon example thread as a template  ;D

deadsuperhero

Also, is that "military official" the Steadfast Tin Soldier? If it is, then more power to you! That was one of my favorite fairy tales that my dad told me as a kid.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Jon

Looks great, i'll be willing to play test for you, if you want.

bicilotti

P^3.S.: it is probably the first time I see a WiP with an actual release date in it. If on the 12th I don't see the final work I'll travel all the German-French border to find you and... bring you candy.  ::)  ;)

Seriously, take all the time you need and best of luck!

HellBeast

Ghost great detail the stormtrooper helment was funny i cant wait to play it i would play test if you'd like i mean the backgrounds are Awsome

Ghost

Quote from: Alliance on Sun 09/12/2007 16:50:49
Also, is that "military official" the Steadfast Tin Soldier? If it is, then more power to you! That was one of my favorite fairy tales that my dad told me as a kid.

Yup, that's him.

tube

Great idea and looks like the implementation won't be any worse. Good luck with the project.

Quote from: Ghost on Sun 09/12/2007 03:17:36
Quote from: LUniqueDan on Sun 09/12/2007 02:59:10

Is the helmet that obvious? On my screen it is hardly visible... merges almost completely into the black walkbehind...

The walkbehind isn't even close to black. You should either try to get your monitor calibrated (this image might help you, search google for more) or start looking for a new screen if that doesn't work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk