Jacob: VA's Cut

Started by vertigoaddict, Mon 24/12/2007 12:30:14

Previous topic - Next topic

vertigoaddict

Jacob: Vertigo Addict's cut

Synopsis:

While on a trip to introduce her spouse to the parents, April smith wakes up in a peculiar looking hotel room with not much memory of what recently happened, she calls out to her boyfriend Jacob, silence comfirms that she is indeed alone...but is she?

Screens:

A walk in the forest

It's a hotel room after all...

*There are three endings altogether (some may debate this, but to me they are endings)

*You can finish the game with the best ending rank within 12 minutes, the others take shorter.

*You are able to load your game after each ending so you don't have to start from the begining.

*One hidden room (Which isn't so hard to find and isn't so hard to get out of)

*320x240

*16bit res

*11.9 MB

Note: This game could be considered a sequel to ThatOneChick's MAGS 'Jacob' game. Although this is a different April from that game.

This is my first game which I tried out as a test game (and 'neatened' up a bit to qualify for the Games Main Page)

Tell me what you think, you can be as lenient or as Harsh as you want to be, it doesn't even have to be structural critisizm (although you still have to remember to follow the forum rules which says you have to respect members old and new)

EDIT: Stupid me! I forgot the download link:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=973

and the website (scroll down to download the first game, and don't forget to check out some other neat stuff on the site) :

http://www.freewebs.com/tcervantez/jacob.htm

Gilbert

You should at least provide a link in your post (either to direct download or the game's page in the AGS site), having to search for it elsewhere is not very friendly. :P

Edited: heh since the post was just modified I have nothing to say now. :=

Frodo

Looks great.  Downloading now.   :)

Dualnames

Vertiggo Addict's Cut?
You made me wanna play.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

wavigravi

looks good, and am sure is even better than your first game which i enjoyed. tho i cant bare to  continue play it with the characters really really slow walk speed  :'(

vertigoaddict

Quote from: wavigravi on Mon 24/12/2007 22:38:42
looks good, and am sure is even better than your first game which i enjoyed. tho i cant bare to  continue play it with the characters really really slow walk speed  :'(

I know, but I thought the guys in the forum would forgive me for that since I made April's breast bounce up and down whenever she walks.

...and better than my first game? This IS my first game, you must have mistaken me for someone else.

wavigravi

lol, oh yep sorry i did mix u up with the creator of the original game just re-read your opening post sorry

vertigoaddict

That's alright... Oh and don't worry about the character walk speed (it doesn't actually take that long to go to places, I just wanted it to 'feel' long, just move the cursor to the edge of the screen, close your eyes and click your heart out!)

I'll make the characters walk faster in the next game, heck, I might make them run instead.

sthomannch

Can't download it. The link at first seems to work, but when I press on the download button I either get a timeout or a message "wrong client". Do I really have to install yet-another-download-client? Too bad, it looks really interesting.

vertigoaddict

I'll try uploading it somewhere else and post a mirror (filefront okay?)

The mirror is up. you can check it in the game page.

vertigoaddict

This was a 'game over' screen which I never/ decided not to use after a series of error messages concerning a chase (I've checked the beginners tech forum, it still gave me errors)

I just didn't want this to go to waste (so I'm showing it to you), I loved it so very much.

sthomannch

Thank you very much, I finally could download your game and enjoy all three endings...
Good work, although very dark :-)

vertigoaddict

I'm glad you enjoyed my game !(I personally thought it was cra... it was an okay first try; it could have done better). ^_6

vertigoaddict

I have changed the download URL of the mirror, download the game from the mirror and you can play the game with a faster walking April (YAY!)

Leon

I played the game and saw all three endings. My opinion? :

- I'd rather see better graphics for April walking towards and away from you than bouncing breasts. (Does it hurt when she walks like that?)

-If you want to use such details, why not give the player a "speed" option (good ol' F2 in the Sierra's). Walk fast with less detail, slow with bouncing boobs.

- Suggesting a long time walking can also be done with a fast walking character.

- The areas to click for transitions might be a bit bigger and less to the edge so people playing windowed versions don't always click you game to the background.

- I encountered several stages of the bathroom (with and without blood) while trying to leave the bathroom and couldn't. After trying 5 or 6 times, I'd be back in the bedroom.

- A typo: "There got it" after my action in the bathroom.

- Don't let the character stand in front of the object you're supposed to use. April's almost completely blocking the stairs she's supposed to climb.

- A typo: When clicking on the exclamation mark (strange icon for a 'quit game') I can read "Do you want to leave April's behind". I didn't know I was on there ... ? ;-)

Spoiler
- When she takes the letter, it's in your inventory, but it's also still on the table.... Same goes for the duvet. (?)
[close]

I've made a walkthrough including a link to your site. You can find it here.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

vertigoaddict

- I'd rather see better graphics for April walking towards and away from you than bouncing breasts. (Does it hurt when she walks like that?)

* I used SSH's walkcycle generator and her body was in pieces so I roughly put them back together in MS paint (it does look painful, doesn't it?)

-If you want to use such details, why not give the player a "speed" option (good ol' F2 in the Sierra's). Walk fast with less detail, slow with bouncing boobs.

*I am still new with the engine, so I don't know how to do that; but trust me, in the next game, I'll make the characters walk faster.

- Suggesting a long time walking can also be done with a fast walking character.

* I actually made her walk slowly on purpose, (not just to show her chest) but to fustrate the player (It was an experiment "Horror via slowspeed/fustration" I WAS going to put in a chase, but I just kept on getting error messages)

- The areas to click for transitions might be a bit bigger and less to the edge so people playing windowed versions don't always click you game to the background.

*I'll take note of that.

- I encountered several stages of the bathroom (with and without blood) while trying to leave the bathroom and couldn't. After trying 5 or 6 times, I'd be back in the bedroom.

*It's not a bug, I purposely did something, (In 'Thatonechick87's game, Jacob walked through the same hallway again and again; this was what happened to April...oh and congrats, you've found the secret room)

- A typo: "There got it" after my action in the bathroom.

* it should be "There, got it" or "There, I got it"

- Don't let the character stand in front of the object you're supposed to use. April's almost completely blocking the stairs she's supposed to climb.

*I'll fix it

- A typo: When clicking on the exclamation mark (strange icon for a 'quit game') I can read "Do you want to leave April's behind". I didn't know I was on there ... ? ;-)

Hahahaha!

--

Thanks for the walkthrough, I was surprized (a few people actually got stuck, including my sis, it felt great)

Spoiler
the table had paper(s) she just took one, think undernreath. The duvet...I just got lazy ^_^
[close]

ManicMatt

Yep, sorry pal, but the awfully slow walking speed put me off even trying anything beyond picking an object up in the first room.

it's really not that hard to make her walk faster. Look it up. Heck, doesn't it say in AGS "Walk speed"?? I can't really remember.

Well, I hope you make her walk faster in the sequel!

vertigoaddict

The mirror Link let's you download the game with her walking faster.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk