Mockup Blitz: Insane? ME? [WINNER ANNOUNCED!]

Started by Akatosh, Sat 29/12/2007 15:53:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Akatosh

There we go again, people; seems like the Mockup Blitz is becoming a little of a more permanent installation! Anyway...

For those who don't know Mockup Blitz yet:

"Your objective is to create an adventure game mockup. This means that you must create a scene exactly as it would look as if you were playing a game. You must design the interface, the main character (if 3rd person view) or any other characters, and the background."

And the topic this time: Mental Trouble!. Since quite a few of the suggestions in our newish game ideas thread deal with this topic, I thought it might be nice to see how the artist people in the forums interpret this  ;). In more detail, this means:

* Your main character has to have to be dealing with some sort of 'mental trouble', obsession or something like this, and it should be visible from his looks. You can be more subtle here, e.g. have him carry a big bag and baggy clothes if he has kleptomania, or extremely obvious, as with two different haircuts at the same time if he's schizophrenic or something.

* The view of the world the character has should be subjective in some way, and his madness should be reflected in his surroundings somehow - for example, if we take our example of the kleptomaniac, you could have certain objects in the room being brighter than usual and twinkling slightly... or maybe have the letters "TAKE ME" floating above them or something, you make the call  ;)

* [OPTIONAL] Have a GUI (control) that deals with the character's madness somehow, like a bar showing how long the character has before he just grabs a random object, not caring whether somebody looks or not, if he doesn't pick up something in between or something like that.

That's it. No size and/or palette restrictions.

I thought I'd leave the topic more open on this one, regarding the variety and rather fuzzy definition of [in-]sanity. Voting is as usual, you have until the 5th January to make your entries since there's New Year in between and what's a January 1st without a huge hangover and massive lack of sleep preventing you from working?

So now, have fun and... don't snap!  ;)

Galen

Excuse my excellent art and judge on concept please.
At the lowest insanity level you will get the occasional glance from people; around the middle level people will start to avoid looking directly at you but glance back at you when you turn away from them; At the highest level - near to a gameover - a spot light will appear over you, with a background of thousands of staring eyes.
Oh and indecipherable "horror film" whispering rising in volume.

Yep. It's: Paranoia Quest!

Edit:
http://www.willhostforfood.com/files/4080000/paranoia.PNG
That's an alternative version that is prettiful, not that I'd attempt to do something nasty like change my entry half way through *whistle*

Fyntax

Illustrious

Fyntax, that is awesome mate! Great idea

Lionmonkey

This is a tribute to Madness Combat and especially to Madness interactive:

This is a kind of Interactive Fiction game where you choose what happens next from the options bellow.

As you can see from the dialogue, the protagonist (one to the left) is obsessed with pie: Mental trouble -- check

The madness is reflected on surroundings -- Chck.

The GUI deals with protagonists madness -- Check.

Don't count me in if I'm a bit late.

EDIT: This is a GIF and it was made in Paint.net, not MSPaint.

VOTE: My vote goes to Fyntax, because:

1) I really like the spotlight effect, because it greatly shows isolation and despair.

2)"Toast is evil" insanity is a nice idea.

3)The inventory and available actions really increase the madness atmosphere.

4) Also the stance (sitting in the corner, looking around) is corresponding.

Akatosh

No, it's completely okay... I waited a little longer to see if it would result in more entries, and obviously, it did!  :)

Right now, it's time for voting, people. Just post which entry you think was best, and why you think so.

bicilotti

My vote goes to Lionmonkey: never has a paint bmp looked so disturbing!

Galen

While Fyntax has the best art, hands-down, I'm going to judge between the two based on the feeling of insanity.

I like the idea of many bizzare and obscure interaction rather than being limited by "sane logic" that presides in Lion Monkey's entry.

However Fyntax seems to truely capture a fractured mind so my vote goes to him.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Crazy has the most interesting game concept for a sanity based game so my vote goes to him.

ildu

Quote from: ProgZmax on Sat 05/01/2008 22:48:52
Crazy has the most interesting game concept for a sanity based game so my vote goes to him.

Ditto. One from me to Crazy, as well. The description was hilarious :D.

Indie Boy

I vote crazy...
His game seems the most playable ;D
I won't use this login.
Try IndieBoy instead

Khris

IMO, Mockups are primarily about graphics (anybody can come up with a halfway decent idea, turning it into a working screenshot is the hard part).
Thus my vote goes to Fyntax.

PixelPerfect

I have to agree with previous poster and give a vote to Fyntax. Although it would've been nice to hear how it progresses beyond that screen (or does it?).

Kudos to all participants for creativity!

Akatosh

Alright, people, seems we have a tie between Crazy and Fyntax... if there's another vote within the, let's say next three hours, we have a clear winner, otherwise I'd say Crazy wins because he came first... but feel free to object and vote! ;)

Daniel Thomas

I would place a vote for Fyntax, it appeals visually the most to me and practically.
Im I shallow? I always thought Backgroundblitz(with sprite jam and animation) was the visual part of competitions, while there was story and music with thier own. Maybe there should be a gamedesign-comp for that part. You can always correct me if I'm wrong, I wasn't here when the "switch" started.
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Akatosh

In that case, I hereby declare Fyntax the official winner! Feel free to start a Mockup / Background Blitz with a theme of your anytime now, and thanks to Crazy and Lionmoney for participating!

Galen

Zyndikate is now on my "Anihilate when you become ultimate leader of the multiverse" list.

Fyntax

don't worry zynd!

By that time us two will be long gone in some parallel universe, celibrating our honeymoon like the couple meant for each other that we really are..!

I better start thinking out a new theme to the next competition.. and pray that it'll be half as fun as this one was.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk