Schools out - for the summer

Started by mills_330, Wed 05/03/2008 12:54:43

Previous topic - Next topic

mills_330

Schools Out - For the summer

This is my first attempt at using AGS, actually my first attempt using any game engine. I had to create a game for my university course and this game is what i have come up with. Its just a demo at the moment because i hope to make it a full working game but we have deadlines and so cant spend as much time as i would like to. Enjoy :D

The story;

The year is 2008. Chris Tucker is like the everyday 16 year old, living in Minnesota, North America. He has a mum, dad and a younger brother. Chris has lots of friends and goes to school at Lakeville high, which he believes is like the everyday school, but is it?

Recently Chris has noticed the teachers are acting out of the ordinary. Being extra strict, giving out harsher punishments, and making nearly all areas of the school out of bounds. Nothing ever happens in this town and Chris knew it so he didn't think anything of it, until today. He happened to being walking down the hallway when he heard voices coming from the janitor's closet, and what he heard he would never forget. The teachers were going to brainwash everyone in the school so they could improve the exam results! Then they would use the extra money they got to buy nicer houses and cars. Chris couldn't believe what he was hearing but knew he had to do something before they turned everyone into school zombies.

Your mission is to uncover the teachers plans to brainwash the school, and save everyone from becoming learning zombies. You will be challeneged along your path and will have to solve puzzels and complete challenges before moving on to the next stage.

Screenshots;

Demo link;

I have uploaded the demo i created onto rapid share for you to download and try yourselfs.

http://rapidshare.com/files/97204969/Schoolsout.rar.html

Stats so far;

Overall: 50%
Music: 10%
Script: 75%%
GUI: 99%
Expected realease: end of 2008
Length: Medium

Please give any feedback you can to help with the development of this game. You guys know what your doing so i appreciate any comments you may have.

egamer

The game looks interesting, but I have a few comments:

The sprites look as though you drew then on paper and cut them out with scissors.  You ought to clean up the white aura around the sprites.

The use of the skateboard gives me the impression that you didn't want to draw a walk cycle.  Even if you think the skateboard fits in with the character of the player character, you could still draw animations of the player, say, picking up the skateboard when he enters a building.  The way you have it, the player even skateboards over the couch in his livingroom.

To talk to the old man, you have to use the hand icon rather than the talk icon.

The help messages don't change even after you have completed the action that the message tells you to do.  It would be better to make them dynamic.

The menu bar does not run all the way across the top of the screen.

Your game shows a lot more effort than some first games, but I would fix these problems.

Layabout

post edited by darth to avoid a flame war!
I am Jean-Pierre.

Play_Pretend

I know these are all borrowed art thingies, but isn't it weird that the first room is the living room from Family Guy? :)

And the last one appears to be a giant reproductive system?

mills_330

Thanks a lot egamer you have pointed out the mistakes and given me good feedback, really appreciate it and you obvioulsy understood why i posted the game here (to get help and feedback).

edit by Darth took out the flame-war starting comment :)  Let's just let it go and not get into a battle here!

Fee

comment removed by Darth - please refrain from that kind of talk!  Thanks :)

Looks ok. Not sure how the sprites you used came to you, but he is right about the white halo around them. If you cuting them out in photoshop, turn off anti aliasing before you cut them, or use the background eraser before you cut them around the edges.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk