Fading Shades v1.0 released!

Started by Blue, Wed 23/07/2008 20:16:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue

Fading Shades is a small 1st person adventure game, set in an unknown location.
The only way out is by crossing the rainbow bridge but you can't as long as there are colours missing...

It's my first game and I know a lot of things could be improved, but I must admit that after working on it for the past 3 years, I just want to finish the project instead of risking it ending up never released.

--- Download it here ---

DanielMax

Just finished the game and I liked it, although I found it confusing that the main character didn't comment on being in a unfamiliar place when the game started, I first thougt the place was the characters "usual" surroundings. She could say something along the lines of "what am I doing here?" or "what is this place?" or whatever... All in all I enjoyed it.

neon

Is it wanted that the debug shortkeys (CTRL+X, CTRL+S) are still active?

Lufia

I've just started playing and I'm not very far in. I really can't find any objects despite much random clicking and there isn't any glaring clue in sight, so... Well, I'm stuck. Needless to say I find the game quite difficult.

The graphics are gorgeous and the music creates a really nice atmosphere. I've no particular complaints about the gameplay. It took me a few moments to get used to but as there's nothing ground-breaking there it eventually works fine.

I'd just like to point out that this game is quite dark and as such a complete nightmare to play on a laptop like I am. I had to turn the brightness to the maximum setting to actually see anything.

If it doesn't get too frustratingly difficult, this looks like a very enjoyable game.

robvalue

I like this game, nice work. Good atmosphere and scenery.

Totally stuck just short of finishing it I think! Asked for some help in the hints thread. Must be missing something.

Edit: I figured it out finally! Cool game.

Blue

Quote from: DanielMax on Wed 23/07/2008 22:27:07
Just finished the game and I liked it, although I found it confusing that the main character didn't comment on being in a unfamiliar place when the game started, I first thougt the place was the characters "usual" surroundings. She could say something along the lines of "what am I doing here?" or "what is this place?" or whatever... All in all I enjoyed it.

I suppose she could say something along those lines, but I don’t know if I’ll change it.

Quote from: neon on Thu 24/07/2008 12:39:36
Is it wanted that the debug shortkeys (CTRL+X, CTRL+S) are still active?

::) ..I can't believe I forgot to disable that. Thanks for telling me.

Quote from: Lufia on Thu 24/07/2008 23:07:16
I've just started playing and I'm not very far in. I really can't find any objects despite much random clicking and there isn't any glaring clue in sight, so... Well, I'm stuck. Needless to say I find the game quite difficult.

The graphics are gorgeous and the music creates a really nice atmosphere. I've no particular complaints about the gameplay. It took me a few moments to get used to but as there's nothing ground-breaking there it eventually works fine.

I'd just like to point out that this game is quite dark and as such a complete nightmare to play on a laptop like I am. I had to turn the brightness to the maximum setting to actually see anything.

If it doesn't get too frustratingly difficult, this looks like a very enjoyable game.

I'm sorry you find the game that difficult but I hope much of the difficulty is because of the graphics being too dark. I stuck to the random clicking because any help from the cursor would let you finish the game in no time. It's very short. Hopefully you'll see when you finish it :)

I wanted to lighten the graphics a tad before releasing the game, but the thought of importing all the graphics and backgrounds all over again was just too much for me. It is not the slightest dark on my own screen, so I’ve not realized the problem until yesterday when I downloaded it at my dad’s, only to see the graphics were almost completely black :( That really bothered me, so perhaps you can expect a version 1.1 coming up with lightened graphics. That is IF I can get over my laziness..

Quote from: robvalue on Fri 25/07/2008 16:21:18
I like this game, nice work. Good atmosphere and scenery.

Totally stuck just short of finishing it I think! Asked for some help in the hints thread. Must be missing something.

Edit: I figured it out finally! Cool game.

I’m glad you liked it :)

To all: Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it!

CodeJunkie

This game is really really nice!  The graphics and music are wonderful, and I love abstract games like this with lots of exploration.  The story was simple but charming and while the game was very short, considering the quality and polish it's to be expected.  I found the brightness just fine on my CRT monitor, although mine is set a bit brighter than it should be.

My only criticism is to look over the interface a bit - the menus are fine but sometimes over exits they confuse the cursor, and cycling looks a bit odd on the title screen.  Given that there are only 2 modes a left-use right-look interface might feel more fluid.

I'd love to see more work from you in this style.

Blue

Quote from: CodeJunkie on Sat 26/07/2008 19:35:53
My only criticism is to look over the interface a bit - the menus are fine but sometimes over exits they confuse the cursor, and cycling looks a bit odd on the title screen.
Yes, about the title screen, I tried to disable the function that makes the cursor cycle when the user right clicks but I couldn't figure out how. The only thing I could do was to tell the game, that when the user right clicks, the cursor would (still) be a pointer. But when you right click, the next cursor shows in a blink and I couldn't get rid of it.

Quote from: CodeJunkie on Sat 26/07/2008 19:35:53
Given that there are only 2 modes a left-use right-look interface might feel more fluid.
- Hmm you've got a point there.

I'm glad you liked the game! And thank you very much for your feedback. It's really appreciated!

TassieDevil

Really good game. I liked the relaxing music and the amazing graphics; the story line was a bit thin, but that really didn't matter.
I enjoyed this a lot!

Given its darkness, the only thing I didn't like was the pixel hunt for the blue perl; never could have done it without the hints.

neon

I played through the game, though I normally don't like 1st person perspective. But this one made me play to the end. The nice graphics and the very good music gave me a very smooth feeling while playing. Very nice.

Blue

TassieDevil >> I realize that I did make some pixelhunting in the game though it was not my intention. I plan to release a version 1.1 sometime in the future. Thanks for the feedback  :)

neon >> Thank you very much! I'm very glad you liked it  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk