Ben There, Dan That!

Started by thezombiecow, Sun 13/07/2008 17:15:43

Previous topic - Next topic

paolo

Quote from: paolo on Wed 23/07/2008 18:53:58
Hm, what do you have to do around here to get four cups, I wonder?

I seem to have opened a can of worms here... For the record, I wasn't intending to criticise the panel's judgement on what merits three cups and what deserves four, but in my opinion (and my opinion alone) this deserved a higher rating. I respect the panel's view, and this was not the place to open up a discussion of how the panel determines how many cups a game should get. So, sorry if I offended anyone with my sarcastic question.

F1ak3r

Wow, this game is FUNNY. I love the adventure game references, the fourth wall breaking, and the pointing-out-the-obvious-for-humour stuff.

The graphics are funny, and the characters talk in such an entertainingly British way (sorry if that's offensive, or anything).

The only problem I have is the interface. You can bring up the top bar in the main menu, right-clicking all the time gets irritating, and there's something about the inventory... but I just can't put my finger on it. Oh, and there's no "name of what your mouse is hovering over" text. But I suppose that's not too terrible, and the action cursors DO indicate whether or not you can interact with whatever your mouse is over.

I haven't played very much of it, but what I have played is great. Oh yeah, love the walk cycle. If people really walked like that, the world would be a better place.

Nostradamus

Finally finished the game   \o/

This game is FAAAAAAANTASTIC !!!
I love it!!  I love the humor style, including the cynical jokes about adventure game and inside jokes about Ben & Dan being the game makers. I love how you cared to write something funny with any click be in look, use, talk or Ben. Thank you.
The puzzles were just the right level and were really fun.
I love all the 
Spoiler
plot twists. At the beginning I thought it was just a simple short game about a couple of guys wanting to fix their TV. All of a sudden WHAM I'm on a spaceship with alternate realities. Awesome. And then the twist at the end. TWO surprising unexpected twists in the plot in one game. Bravo !!
[close]

For me it's the AGS game of the year so far!   :=

Mad props to you and now you simply MUST make a sequel. This was too great to end here!

neon

Agree.

A sequel would be a 'must have' for me.

One of the funniest game I saw in the last month.

Ryan Timothy B

Excellent game.

I enjoyed the humor throughout the whole game.  Every action has a funny and entertaining response.

This game reminded me (once the makeshift aerial was setup) in every way of the game Out of Order by Hungry Software.  Just the whole multiple doors with an array of random shapes to open them.  I think Out of Order is also a British game, though I could be wrong.

Anyway, it was a great game.  I'm hoping to see more adventure games starring Ben and Dan.

thezombiecow

Thanks for all the BTDT love, guys, it's really appreciated. I was only being facetious about the three cups, but I don't think that came across. Sorry.

I don't think there'll be any more games starring Ben and Dan, I'm afraid. We simply can't afford to make anymore simple freeware games :(

The next game will doubtless carry the spirit of BTDT, though, so keep an eye on us and what we're up to via www.zombie-cow.com

LeChuck

Quote from: thezombiecow on Fri 01/08/2008 16:46:58
Thanks for all the BTDT love, guys, it's really appreciated. I was only being facetious about the three cups, but I don't think that came across. Sorry.

I don't think there'll be any more games starring Ben and Dan, I'm afraid. We simply can't afford to make anymore simple freeware games :(

It's always hard to see a product not live up to the expectations one has as a developer. For every person who likes something, others will dislike or feel something can be improved upon, that's just how it is. I guess the cup rater fell somewhere in the middle of the group. It's impossible to please everyone, but as long as you please someone you've done your job as a developer as far as I'm concerned.

Can't wait to see what you guys do next!

markbilly

I found this Spoiler Free Hints Guide on the Zombie Cow Website. It is great if you need some help, but feel rubbish about cheating through it... (and as a bonus, it is extremely funny!).

Also, found the museum shop easter egg recently. It just added to the hilarity! :D

blueskirt

I know, super old thread revival but I only managed to play that game yesterday.

What rocked:
Totally rad animations, it's quite possibly the first time I smiled for animations as trivial as walkcycles.
All the jokes, 4th wall breaking and more particuliary the many running gags.
The possibility to set the dialogs speed.
The incredible amount of unique messages for all possible interactions. It's a bit of a two edged sword actually. Lot of unique messages is definitivly a strong point, but I found myself wasting 10 minutes or so just clicking on everything, OCD-style, when entering a new room, and with this amount of unique messages, I know I missed a whole lot of jokes and funny remarks, which make me sad.

What did not rock:
No music, I spend most of the game humming musics from DOTT.
Sometimes there are just too much dialogs.
Many useless delays in between sentences. I remember sending a PM to ProgZ regarding useless delays in between sentences in Ace Starkiller but that was nothing compared to the insane amount of useless delays in BTDT. What's worse? It must be some sort of glitch or bug for surely it cannot be a feature, but around the end of the game, starting at the frozen dimension and the museum, delays got significantly longer, ranging between 5 and 7 seconds each, so when you get one of those discussion which consist of "sentence, delay, sentence, delay, sentence" or 2 delays one after the other, the insane amount of downtime is enough to drive someone mad, MAD!

That's pretty much it, I sure hope one day you will have enough money to allow yourself to make a sequel for that game. Or you could sell deluxe editions of your BTDT games. But you must make a sequel.

Trihan

That was a pretty awesome game right there. Kudos to you both.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk