Back Door Man

Started by Grundislav, Mon 10/08/2009 06:16:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Grundislav

Miami is a rough town.  Crime, drugs, humidity...but for an enterprising male prostitute, all that matters is satisfying the clients and getting paid.  The life isn't as glamorous as it seems, though, as you'll soon find out by guiding our man through one crazy night.

The idea for Back Door Man stems from one I had for a three-game series featuring three separate characters whose stories interconnect, one game being about this character. This is a condensed version of that game.

This was made for the TIGSource Adult/Education Compo, where you could either make a game with an adult theme, an educational theme, or a mix of the two.

Screenshots

Explore Miami's diverse neighborhoods, from the filthy rich to the just plain filthy.

Entertain the locals with tales of your exploits.

FEATURING
- Three separate client scenarios, each with multiple outcomes.
- Multiple endings, depending on how you played.
- Did we mention you play as a man-whore?

TEAM:
Francisco Gonzalez - Art, Writing
Edmundo Ruiz - Programming, Writing
Mark Lovegrove, Simon Loveridge - Music

DOWNLOAD

cosmicr

lookin good, I'll try out my mangina tonight!

edmundito

This is what me and Grundislav have been up to this month... truly a collaboration, to the point that he'd work on the game for an hour and then pass it on to me for another hour... I'm thinking of doing a thread or something about working on this game. Is it cool to retro-fit a games in production thread?

Oh, and if you're downloading this fresh from the oven, you may encounter some bugs. So um, yeah... good luck! We'll fix those soon!
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Layabout

Nice job guys. Played through it once and uh... I got sent to jail. Haha. Really great dialog and fun while it lasts... THATS WHAT SHE SAID!
I am Jean-Pierre.

HulaZombie

Fun game. I like the premise and the artwork is great. Good job fellas ;)

I think I got the bad ending lol, I'm playing through again for a different one.

Bug or am I just stuck?

Spoiler
I'm in the guy's closet and don't know how to get out. The wife is in the bathroom and whenever I click on the doors or closet I get a "wait, where do you think you're going?" response from her. Also, it replays the dialog between the wife and husband after she goes into the bathroom.
[close]

cosmicr

okay I just played it - fantastic game!

the writing is brilliant - graphics not bad, cant really fault it except that its a bit short!

Spoiler
I ended up being threatened by the guy with a gun and taken to jail also for leaving the lady to die!
[close]

I made $550 - is that a lot?

edit: how do you add spoilers?
edit2: got it - thanks Arj0n

arj0n

cosmicr: [ hide ] without spaces

Grundislav

HulaZombie: That's a lovely gamestopper bug that was discovered late last night after uploading.  We'll have it fixed later today.

Vince Twelve

Ooh, you got it finished!  Congrats guys, I'll check it out as soon as I have some free time!

m0ds

Fun fun fun!

Spoiler
LOL that grandma who has a seizure, that animation cracked me up!!!
[close]

Real good Grundy and Edmundy! Wish I could've had a few more days to work on some other tracks for the game, but I'm glad Simon's music is in there. The game itself is a joy to play, something a little different & whoreish. Teh win :) Good luck with the TIGsource competition!

Dave Gilbert

You did it!  I remember when you were telling me about this idea at a NYC karaoke bar in november 08.  Will play as soon as I can.

Wesray

Wow, a new game by Grundy & Edmundito! Just downloaded it and will try it now. Story sounds interesting and very unique, should be right up my alley. :D
THE FAR CORNERS OF THE WORLD: Chapter 2 currrently in the works...

HillBilly

Is there a way to access stuff you've picked up or is there some other clever way of solving the old lady scenario?

Also getting the same bug as HulaZombie, by the way.

edmundito

Thanks for the feedback so far! We should be tackling those bugs later today. Stay tuned!
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Wesray

That was fun! ;D Finished on my second attempt with $950, getting neither arrested nor threatened. But I guess there's still a better ending?
THE FAR CORNERS OF THE WORLD: Chapter 2 currrently in the works...

Vince Twelve

I managed $1050 for the night, but ended in the closet bug and so

Spoiler
the only way out of the closet is to talk to the wife, which didn't end well, and causes the player to go invisible for the end of the game.  I ended up getting my invisible self shot at the end of the night.  Without the closet bug, i think I can get the best ending.

And BTW, did NOT see the young woman ending coming!  Hilarious!
[close]

Grundislav

Thanks for the feedback!  This game was a lot of fun to make.

The closet bug has now been fixed, so if you downloaded the game yesterday, re-download and you should be able to
Spoiler
blackmail the male client
[close]
with no problems.

Vince Twelve

Alright, I finished with
Spoiler

$1050 and didn't get killed or hauled off to jail.  Is that the best ending?
[close]

By the way, I was totally happy to see that I could use "Vince" as my whore name, unless... you know... that was for another Vince...  :-\
;)

Grundislav

With regards to the endings:

Each scenario has a factor that affects the way the game ends.  As far as which one is "best," that's really up to you.  
Spoiler
If you notice there's no way to earn the maximum possible amount of money AND have a good date with Jennifer, the younger girl.  So you have to decide which you think is more important, money or love?
[close]
More than anything the reward is discovering the different possible outcomes.  The date can have 3 results: good, bad, or mediocre.  The older lady scenario can end with her living or dying, and the man can end with the wife discovering you or not.  Those factors have an impact on the game ending.

And yes, Vince is one of several AGSer names available on the list.

ThreeOhFour

The animation of
Spoiler
the old lady heaving around with her chest showing
[close]
ruined my life.

But other than that, cool game  :=

I like the fact that you can try different things, there is a fair bit of replay value :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk