Sprite Jam - Low Budget Cyborg - We've Got a Winner!

Started by Misj', Mon 24/08/2009 11:58:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Misj'

When Omni Consumer Products (OCP) was in financial trouble, they had to cut corners in their cyborg department. Fortunately, their R&D department was both creative and experimental, and even with a budget reduction of 800% they were able to deliver some interesting cyborgs based on life tissue and household appliances (and sometimes duct tape). Basically, everything they could lay their hands on was put to good use.

goal
Draw any of the creatures created by the OCP cyborg department as long as it's a combination of living tissue (humans, animals, plants, fungi, everything goes) with one or more household appliances (or components thereof). It's preferable if the creature has some sort of purpose.

rules
Colours:
low-res: 12
high-res: 6 + black&white (when using coloured lines, an additional 6 colours is allowed for that purpose). This does not include highlights, shading, shadows, and anti-aliasing; although it's advised to use such effects sparsely to make animation easier.

Size:
Both X and Y should be no more than 1/4th of the Y-resolution of the game (60 for 320x240, etc)

You may add a context (environment) for the sprite but must also provide an image with the creature on it's own...which will be used to decide the winner.

Multiple entries are allowed and may increase your chances (particularly if the entries have a relationship to one another).

Jam ends August 31st.

Be creative...
                   ...have fun!

Evil

Doesn't quite follow the rules, but this was seriously the first thing I thought of.

NsMn

After Sony succesfully developed robot dogs and cats and sold them all over the world (although they had no real purpose), a chief engineer was thinking about robot plants. But, since plants aren't researched enough, he decided just to build a cyborg with the flowers he stole from his neighbor's window ledge.

Unfortunately, those prototypes reacted with the battery acid which where used to power them, and they mutated to man-eating plants which only could one thing: kill. Nevertheless, the engineer had an idea; he just programmed them to watering flowers and "kill" useless plants - But, again, he had no luck, Sony only wanted to produce pointless, robot stuff.

At the end, he sold the plans and the prototypes to OCP.

(Phew, that was one long story for one sprite.)

Bulbapuck

I've always wanted to have one of these ;)

11 colours + 1
dimensions:46 x 40

Edit:
Quote from: NsMn on Sat 29/08/2009 22:14:43
Nooooooo... now I don't have a chance to win anymore. Thanks, Bulbapuck, now I will hate you to the end of my life  :P
lol, that's just not true                                                                               please don't hate me :=

Edit2:
I've always wanted one of these too (yes I'm lazy :P)

(Suddenly transperency didn't work, will re-upload tomorrow (shading's off anyway and needs to be fixed :=))
11 colours + 1
dimensions: 42 x 40

Edit3: Haven't got enough time today, it's gonna have to be that way... shame..

NsMn

Nooooooo... now I don't have a chance to win anymore. Thanks, Bulbapuck, now I will hate you to the end of my life  :P

Mr Flibble

Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Stee

Quote from: NsMn on Fri 28/08/2009 10:48:07

At the end, he sold the plans and the prototypes to OCP.

Was it called robocrop?
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

NsMn

If you say so. It was actually supposed to be called "Maneatus Hydrogena", the watering, man-eating plant (okay, not really  ;) )

IndieBoy

Lobster Lawnmower

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Misj'

Great entries everyone!
And after great consideration, and some practical testing of all the subjects I've decided upon a winner (which was unfortunately already predicted by NsMn...shame on you ;) ): Bulbapuck!.

Bulbapuck, the reason why I picked your entry/entries was, because (A) they were plain fun, and (B) they were really low-budget, because the OCP-people needed only a single human body and could use the arm for one cyborg, the legs for another and so on...so the whole scrapheap-cyborg-feeling was definitely there.

I did like the fact that all entries pursuit a different direction of combining living tissue with machines, and it wasn't until the end that I decided the final winner.

Bulbapuck...the floor is yours!

Bulbapuck

Wow, thanks 'Misj! :D I really didn't expect that!

I'll try and come up with something awesome for the next one 8)

Arboris

Concept shooter. Demo version 1.05

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk